Recommended power steering pump brand

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2020, 05:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 GL 450
Recommended power steering pump brand

Hey guys,

I’m going to take on installing a new P.S pump myself. What brand do you recommend? What are your thoughts on re-manned units?

also, other than serpentine, what other components do you recommend changing at this time?

thanks for all the great feedback on my questions thus far
Old 01-11-2020, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 599 Likes on 507 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Originally Posted by rdbrown31
Hey guys,

I’m going to take on installing a new P.S pump myself. What brand do you recommend? What are your thoughts on re-manned units?

also, other than serpentine, what other components do you recommend changing at this time?

thanks for all the great feedback on my questions thus far
LUK or MB original. Don't use a cheap chinese product or you'll by doing it again.

Curious - why are you replacing the pump?

Every GL will eventually develop a leak from the power steering reservoir that can often be misdiagnosed as a power steering pump leak. The fix is a new o-ring for $3.50.

If that leak goes unchecked for long enough, then yes it is time to replace pump.
The following users liked this post:
HopefullyE63 (02-11-2021)
Old 01-11-2020, 10:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 GL 450
I’m unopposed to just changing the o-ring first.

I just got the car and I’m doing some tuning up. It’s a 2008 GL 450. While under there giving it an oil change, I noticed a lot of oil underneath on the drivers side, not related to an engine oil leak (I don’t believe anyway) and ps fluid was really low. After filling it still has hard steering at slow speeds, and there’s a noticeable whine in there. Not loud or pronounced, but even on new-to-me cars, I tend to “listen” to them, so to speak.

I’ll change that o-ring and clean all the under chassis the best I can, and respond accordingly.

thanks for the response.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 599 Likes on 507 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Originally Posted by rdbrown31
I’m unopposed to just changing the o-ring first.

I just got the car and I’m doing some tuning up. It’s a 2008 GL 450. While under there giving it an oil change, I noticed a lot of oil underneath on the drivers side, not related to an engine oil leak (I don’t believe anyway) and ps fluid was really low. After filling it still has hard steering at slow speeds, and there’s a noticeable whine in there. Not loud or pronounced, but even on new-to-me cars, I tend to “listen” to them, so to speak.

I’ll change that o-ring and clean all the under chassis the best I can, and respond accordingly.

thanks for the response.
yeah I’d give the oring a shot before doing the pump.
check your reservoir for cracks as well - they’re only about $70 from Mercedes.
Old 01-12-2020, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
You’ll note on the M273 engine that the engine oil cooler is very near the power steering pump. The gasket between this and the oil filter housing is known to fail, causing a visible oil leak. Visible elsewhere could be evidence there is mixing of motor oil and coolant, as the oil is cooled in the cooler by heat transfer to engine coolant. Inspect.

Im not unfailingly familiar with the GL installation, but I recently did this on the M273 in my CL. I had to separate the ps reservoir from the ps pump to provide clearance to remove the oil cooler, so it was obvious to replace the reservoir->pump o-ring too. You might consider proactively replacing both.

https://blog.fcpeuro.com/the-definit...d-m273-engines

Last edited by lkchris; 01-12-2020 at 04:59 PM.