GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

2007 GL450 idler gear going out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2020, 06:00 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E400 GLE350 C63
2007 GL450 idler gear going out

Hi all, my 2007 GL450 is starting to show signs of the dreaded idler gear issue. I checked the vin and it does fall into the affected cars range. I知 currently at 80k miles and got the codes p0017. Also cold start is pretty rough and got a pretty bad misfire the other day which just fixed itself somehow. I hear the chain under hard acceleration although the car still runs fine. My mechanic quoted me 3600 to pull the engine and change the idler gear and timing chain. I wanted to ask how much time do I have until I have to repair it as I can稚 really pull 4K at the moment. Will their be any long term affects by delaying the repair? Also what else should be changed as the engine will be pulled? Help much appreciated!
Old 01-12-2020, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 599 Likes on 507 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Originally Posted by BenzWay
Hi all, my 2007 GL450 is starting to show signs of the dreaded idler gear issue. I checked the vin and it does fall into the affected cars range. I知 currently at 80k miles and got the codes p0017. Also cold start is pretty rough and got a pretty bad misfire the other day which just fixed itself somehow. I hear the chain under hard acceleration although the car still runs fine. My mechanic quoted me 3600 to pull the engine and change the idler gear and timing chain. I wanted to ask how much time do I have until I have to repair it as I can稚 really pull 4K at the moment. Will their be any long term affects by delaying the repair? Also what else should be changed as the engine will be pulled? Help much appreciated!
have you looked at just dropping in a known good engine from 2008 and up?

might be more economical than fixing the faulty engine which could have developed other issues as a result of digesting the idler gear.

long term effects are that the engine skips out of time and that valves and pistons meet in a shrapnelous calamity. So do something.

in any case you値l likely not come out ahead wrt the value of the vehicle, unfortunately.