GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

where is the brake light switch located in a 2008 GL450? (x164)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2020, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s430
where is the brake light switch located in a 2008 GL450? (x164)

hi all,
new owner of 2008 GL450 here in california...

the brake light lamp light was on, so i looked in the bulb housing and the bulb was missing, so i replaced it, and the bulb just turn on as i screw in the bulb..(meaning its a short, or the car thinks the brake padel is being pressed)
also, i noticed the car starts even when i dont have my foot on the brake padel and i just turn the key.

so i am thinking, that it has to be the brake light switch, and i have done this diy job in other cars so no big deal.
i googled gl brake light switch replacement and for some reason i can't find any info on this.

so i take apart the driver side footwell area so i can try to find the switch. (cant find it.... )

can anyone tell me where is the brake light switch in a GL450??
Old 01-22-2020, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s430
so maybe i did not explain my situation well.... or no one knew the issue.....
anyhow, my independent mechanic found the issue. it was the rear SAM (signal acquisition module). it was all corroded, and when asked if it was water damage, he said no, it was moisture build up in the area.
he fully cleaned out the module, and plugged it back but it still does not work.

unfortunately, this SAM needs to be flashed by the dealer, which my mech tells me that its about a $700~$1000 job in my area, los angeles. and the oem SAM costs about $400.
i still have to see what the labor charge will be for them to get to the SAM..... ughhhhhhh

according to my mech, this new SAM will fix the lamp issues, and also the liftgate issue....
Old 01-22-2020, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
You do not have to have foot on brake pedal to start engine.

Difficult to visualize the difference between water damage and moisture build up. These vehicles are notorious for leaks around the taillight gasket ... so much so that the rear SAM location was changed in later models.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:18 PM

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
gl550
Originally Posted by joekahng
so maybe i did not explain my situation well.... or no one knew the issue.....
anyhow, my independent mechanic found the issue. it was the rear SAM (signal acquisition module). it was all corroded, and when asked if it was water damage, he said no, it was moisture build up in the area.
he fully cleaned out the module, and plugged it back but it still does not work.

unfortunately, this SAM needs to be flashed by the dealer, which my mech tells me that its about a $700~$1000 job in my area, los angeles. and the oem SAM costs about $400.
i still have to see what the labor charge will be for them to get to the SAM..... ughhhhhhh

according to my mech, this new SAM will fix the lamp issues, and also the liftgate issue....
my wife gl550 2010 the water got into the battery compartment where one of the controlled board module located and caused many errors popping up on the dashboard, (ex: turn signals, led daytime running, one of the turn signal always stays on even car is off, etc...)
i removed the controlled board( one of the SAM) next to the battery out and cleaned All COMPONENTs AND PINs that corroded.
Put everything back and Lucky that all messages gone.
You might try to clean it again.
Hope will work for you too..

The following users liked this post:
Yup497 (02-17-2020)