GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Trickle charging GL450 through a 12V socket?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 02:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
Trickle charging GL450 through a 12V socket?

Hi folks, given that I'm driving very little, I plan to hook a trickle charger/maintainer to make sure I can always start the SUV. Because the hood is very tight, directly hooking under the hood appears a bad idea if I leave the hood struts up.

I read the manual, but couldn't find an answer about 12V sockets. Is the cigarette lighter socket a "hot" circuit for the battery? If not, will any one of the 3 sockets in the front-passenger footwell, in the rear compartment, or in the cargo compartment do the trick? Thanks!
Old 01-07-2021, 04:55 AM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
Per GL450 Manual, Page 320:

You can use the power outlet in the cargo
compartment or in the front of the rear seats
even if the ignition is switched off.

An emergency shut-off feature ensures that the
vehicle’s electrical voltage does not fall below a
minimum level. If the voltage drops to this minimum level, the power outlets are automatically
switched off. This ensures that enough power remains to start the engine.
Page 321, however, tells you to turn ON the ignition to use the outlets:

Switch on the ignition (page 42).
Flip up cover and insert electrical plug
(cigarette lighter type)
In my experience, I've always had to turn the ignition to the ON position to use the outlets (air compressor for the tires). That being said, the battery is located under the passenger seat so you could always tap into it directly.

Alternatively (and this is just a thought), you could feed the cable through the grille, or the windshield drain cowel to access the jump terminals in the engine compartment (without worrying about the hood).

Old 01-07-2021, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
'08 GL 320 CDI
Use the underhood, positive battery post. Just drop the extension cord straight down to the ground, not via the hood. Or, if the car is kept in a garage, just slowly close the hood - but not all the way - a siginificant gap will remain.
Old 01-07-2021, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 593 Likes on 499 Posts
2007 GL450
What Dennis said. Maintainers are tiny; I don't understand the problem with putting one under the hood while parked.
Old 01-07-2021, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 593 Likes on 499 Posts
2007 GL450
Originally Posted by Mendota
I read the manual, but couldn't find an answer about 12V sockets. Is the cigarette lighter socket a "hot" circuit for the battery? If not, will any one of the 3 sockets in the front-passenger footwell, in the rear compartment, or in the cargo compartment do the trick? Thanks!
The always-on sockets seem to only remain on if power is being drained when the engine is shut off. I don't know how the computer would respond to current flowing the wrong direction.
Old 01-07-2021, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 612 Likes on 519 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Originally Posted by Mendota
Hi folks, given that I'm driving very little, I plan to hook a trickle charger/maintainer to make sure I can always start the SUV. Because the hood is very tight, directly hooking under the hood appears a bad idea if I leave the hood struts up.

why? Then you’d have to leave a door or the rear gate ajar...leaving the path for rodents wide open. just leave the hood with a slight gap and charge via the posts by the firewall.
Old 01-09-2021, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 185 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
So, my BMW motorcycle—also featuring a CAN bus electrical system—requires a special battery charger capable of “waking up” the CAN bus circuit for a power socket. Since Mercedes doesn’t offer a similar charger, you should assume your idea isn’t feasible. Owners manual provides instructions on how to charge battery.

The following users liked this post:
eric_in_sd (01-12-2021)