GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

2010 GL450 (X164) won't Start.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2021 | 02:28 PM

2010 Mercedes GL450
2010 GL450 (X164) won't Start.

Hi,
I purchased a 2010 GL450 a few days ago and the sluggish start gave me the feeling that my battery was weak and needed replacement. Yesterday when I was returning from running an errand, the car wouldn't start. Everything seems to work. All lights light-up in dashboard. Headlights, doors etc. But when I turn the ignition, there is nothing. No click no sound from the starter. The key fob seems to be fine as it locks unlocks and has the light. I did the infrared test and it seems to be transmitting. Brought a mechanic I knew, and he checked the starter. He said there is voltage to the starter but that doesn't mean that the starter itself is good. We tried jump starting it, but same result. No life. All lights work when ignition is turned. I am eliminating the battery as it appears the problem lies elsewhere. Also, as per the carfax, the previous owner had the battery replaced afew months ago at a Benz dealership. Everything in the truck works two days later as well. The only thing is that the engine won't turn. Shouldn't there be atleast some noise or sound in the starter though? We checked most of the fuses and the relays seem to be fine. I had to tow the truck back home.. I don't want to go to the dealership as yet and want some advice from my experienced members. Need help badly. Thanks
Old 04-11-2021 | 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Now just one GL450 with EORP.
On what grounds have you eliminated the battery?

Charge your battery overnight and try it again.
if it cranks then your problem may be your alternator.
Old 04-11-2021 | 04:44 PM

2010 Mercedes GL450
Originally Posted by Max Blast
Charge your battery overnight and try it again.
if it cranks then your problem may be your alternator.
The voltage on the battery is showing normal. There is absolutely no crank. Not even a click. Also we tried jumping it with another battery. Nothing.
Old 04-11-2021 | 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Then it’s probably the starter.
I gotta ask, does the engine turn over with the crank pulley?

A dead starter is probably the reason the prior owner dumped it, when faced with the rickockulous repair bill at the dealer.

ask your Indy what he can replace it for and then foot the bill to the place who sold you the car.
The following users liked this post:
Timbuktoo (05-03-2021)
Old 04-11-2021 | 05:48 PM

2010 Mercedes GL450
Originally Posted by Max Blast
Then it’s probably the starter.
I gotta ask, does the engine turn over with the crank pulley?

A dead starter is probably the reason the prior owner dumped it, when faced with the rickockulous repair bill at the dealer.

ask your Indy what he can replace it for and then foot the bill to the place who sold you the car.
The engine doesn't turn. Absolutely silent when I turn the ignition key to start. The dashboard responds when I turn the key to on. It just doesn't start. Dead silent. Ideally, the used dealership should take responsibility, but I know for sure this will start a blame game. Right now I am trying to salvage whatever I can from this deal.

Last edited by usterzai; 04-11-2021 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-11-2021 | 06:37 PM

2010 GL550 | 2020 S560
Originally Posted by usterzai
The engine doesn't turn. Absolutely silent when I turn the ignition key to start. The dashboard responds when I turn the key to on. It just doesn't start. Dead silent. Ideally, the used dealership should take responsibility, but I know for sure this will start a blame game. Right now I am trying to salvage whatever I can from this deal.
If you hear no click, then it's your starter.
Old 04-11-2021 | 06:46 PM

2010 Mercedes GL450
Originally Posted by Yup497
If you hear no click, then it's your starter.
I am dreading if it's something beyond that. I am reading that key Fob or ignition may have something to do with it as well. For now, it's a trial and error game. Since I only have one key, I cannot test the key. Did the basic diagnosis on the key though. Battery is fine as it locks/unlocks. Infrared transmission seems OK. When key is inserted, the dash lights up.
Old 04-11-2021 | 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If your starter was sluggish when you got it that’s probably it - and why it ended up at honest Joe’s car lot. I had an 07 450 with the same slow crank symptoms. Sometimes nothing, switch key off and repeat and it would crank slowly. Put a new battery in it and nothing changed. I don’t know if you have DAS but one of the tell tales of a dying starter is that it won’t run a compression test, because the starter load doesn’t trigger a measurable response and it can’t calculate compression based on that.

So if a MB dealer diagnoses it that way, keep comms up with the seller and ask for a goodwill repair, if not that then escalate to a small claims court settlement. I can totally hear the salesman saying “yeah it cranks slow the battery has been sitting for a while”.
The following 2 users liked this post by Max Blast:
usterzai (04-11-2021), Yup497 (04-12-2021)
Old 04-11-2021 | 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No I mean by hand. It’s free to diagnose if your engine has seized up. That’ll at least eliminate that option.
The following users liked this post:
Yup497 (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021 | 02:18 AM

GL550 X164
The voltage on the battery is showing normal. There is absolutely no crank. Not even a click. Also we tried jumping it with another battery. Nothing.
Did you physically check the battery under the seat? I would make sure that your terminals are clean and tight. Yes, you said that the battery was replaced a few months ago at an MB dealer, but I eoild check the terminals if I were you and you have not done it already.