Sudden Braking Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 09:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL350
Sudden Braking Issue

2011 GL350

Drove car on road trip all weekend, no issue. Drove about 60 miles today, no issue. Stopped at car wash and started having issues. Not sure if related or coincidence... when I pulled in to wash, thought I noticed soft brake pedal but didn't think much of it.

Now when I push on brake pedal it begins to apply brake but then gets soft and goes to floor. Very slowly slows car. Fluid looked okay. Got a yellow triangle with exclamation mark on dash and message saying ESP inoperable. Havent been able to hook scanner up since its at home.

anyone ever experience anything similar??.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:36 AM

GL350
Spent some time diagnosing and pushing fluid until I found signs of a leak. Looks like there must be a brake line failure on drivers side about midway back behind belly plastic panels. Havent got plastic covers off yet, anything special here or just a brake line replacement?

Thx
Old 04-19-2021, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 593 Likes on 499 Posts
2007 GL450
Originally Posted by zerochills
Spent some time diagnosing and pushing fluid until I found signs of a leak. Looks like there must be a brake line failure on drivers side about midway back behind belly plastic panels. Havent got plastic covers off yet, anything special here or just a brake line replacement?
Egad! You mean you see brake fluid dripping from a leak somewhere?
In the solid lines?

wtf

This would be a new one on me. I wonder if it rusted or was damaged.

I don't know of anything unusual about the routing of the solid lines, because I've never heard of this on these trucks. I'd put a lot of effort into confirming exactly where the leak is before tearing too much apart.
The following users liked this post:
Yup497 (04-20-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 10:41 AM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
2010 GL550 | 2020 S560
Originally Posted by eric_in_sd
Egad! You mean you see brake fluid dripping from a leak somewhere?
In the solid lines?

wtf

This would be a new one on me. I wonder if it rusted or was damaged.

I don't know of anything unusual about the routing of the solid lines, because I've never heard of this on these trucks. I'd put a lot of effort into confirming exactly where the leak is before tearing too much apart.
I agree with Eric. I've never seen a break line leak out of the x164. However, nothing surprises me.

OP, make certain you're not confusing brake fluid for leaking power steering fluid. If I had to guess, its possibly the 10 cent O-ring that's leaking but I don't know specifics.
Old 04-20-2021, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 185 Posts
'07 GL320CDI, '10 CL550
The only reason pedal ever goes to floor is brake fluid leak in system ... brake lines or master or slave cylinder (caliper).

Dont be distracted by irrelevant posts about power steering.

Metal line replacement can be complicated, as it’s not certain replacement lines are available pre bent to required shape. Haven’t researched 164, but for 221 all that’s available is straight pieces to be bent to shape locally. In any event, unless you’re doing this at home, this is flat bedding the vehicle to repair facility. Read manual regarding towing ... which is likely prohibited.

Last edited by lkchris; 04-20-2021 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-20-2021, 01:04 PM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
2010 GL550 | 2020 S560
Originally Posted by lkchris
The only reason pedal ever goes to floor is brake fluid leak in system ... brake lines or master or slave cylinder (caliper).

Dont be distracted by irrelevant posts about power steering.

Metal line replacement can be complicated, as it’s not certain replacement lines are available pre bent to required shape. Haven’t researched 164, but for 221 all that’s available is straight pieces to be bent to shape locally. In any event, unless you’re doing this at home, this is flat bedding the vehicle to repair facility. Read manual regarding towing ... which is likely prohibited.
Irrelevant always. Doucher.

Last edited by Yup497; 04-22-2021 at 08:16 AM.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:57 AM

GL350
Found one of the hard lines had rusted and failed. Spliced in a 8" piece to get me home but want to repair correctly for piece of mind. In all, not very much rust anywhere under the vehicle. Both hard lines had a bit of rust in about a 20" section along the frame rail just in front of rear wheel. All other parts of hard line looked good in both directions.

Reached out to different dealers for complete hard line replacement part, neither were helpful. Can not locate online..

Best course of action???
Old 05-02-2021, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 612 Likes on 519 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
I’d check out brake specific shops - hardline is hardline, and they ought to be able to bend and splice in a section, and bleed the system.

Frankly, a little disappointed and surprised the dealer is throwing up their hands.

I live in a No-rust state do there isn’t a big market or knowledge base outside of the custom car scene, but if you live in the rust belt; brake line repair is (or used to be) big business.

Last edited by Max Blast; 05-02-2021 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-02-2021, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 593 Likes on 499 Posts
2007 GL450
I'm with Max on this one. A brake shop should be able to fabricate a new line pretty easily. They just have to have the metric fittings for the tube ends.

You probably could also live with a repair spliced in. I don't think the brake system has terribly high pressures.