GL450 Airmatic Stuck on Up Position

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 612 Likes on 519 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Originally Posted by Zundfolge
I'm kicking around going to coils. When I asked about error codes, Suncore says "the vehicle will need to be taken to a shop that has a Mercedes scanner to disable the warning message from inside the cars computer". How did you do this? Are you glad you went to coils?
You have to do some trickery in MB star developer mode to check the car into thinking that it has ML 350 Suspension. That’s the proper way to do it, if you can at all call this airmatectomy proper - you’ll have a vehicle that won’t ride as well as a GL can.

Who knows what a shop might actually do, I’ve heard horror stores of hacked up harnesses and diode tricks to fool the airmatic ecu into thinking all is well.
The following users liked this post:
Zundfolge (06-29-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 04:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
None. Sold the last one and never looking back.
Originally Posted by Max Blast
You have to do some trickery in MB star developer mode to check the car into thinking that it has ML 350 Suspension. That’s the proper way to do it, if you can at all call this airmatectomy proper - you’ll have a vehicle that won’t ride as well as a GL can.

Who knows what a shop might actually do, I’ve heard horror stores of hacked up harnesses and diode tricks to fool the airmatic ecu into thinking all is well.
Thank you. I know the ride will suffer. But it's just about all I think about now when I drive it: "Why isn't the AirMatic system working as it should and when will I have to throw more money at it?" The compressor just went out that I swapped a year ago, but in the last few months it was higher on the passenger side than the drivers.

Dunno. Looking like I'm going to put another compressor and valve block on it. Could be that I just got a bad compressor.
Old 06-29-2022, 06:46 PM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
Originally Posted by Zundfolge
I'm kicking around going to coils. When I asked about error codes, Suncore says "the vehicle will need to be taken to a shop that has a Mercedes scanner to disable the warning message from inside the cars computer". How did you do this? Are you glad you went to coils?
I took two steps to address the dash warning/error:
  1. Plug the air lines at the air strut connection so that no air comes out (you can melt the air line closed with a soldering iron, or buy a plug for it). Then tuck it away in case you decide to go back to the air struts at a later time. I melted mine - held it closed with needle-nose pliers, then gently combed the opening closed with the soldering iron (you want to overlap the plastic to seal the opening, not just apply heat).
  2. Find the sweet spot for your sensors to NOT trigger the compressor -- should be somewhere near a 90 degree angle (sensor arm parallel to the ground) -- and zip-tie them in place. Take photos of where/how the sensors sit before playing with them.
I haven't tried this, however, perhaps one could just remove the 40Amp fuse, #108, under the hood. Not sure if that would trigger a warning.

I am happy with the coils. The ride is a bit different - much less 'boaty'. More rugged. Not stiff, just not as boaty. I prefer it that way.

The kit came with a number of spacers to set the ride height. My Indy installed all the spacers, so my ride is a bit high (5" from top of tire to fender), but I don't mind it. This, of course, affects your ride quality and feel. Be sure to communicate with your Indy so he sets YOUR desired ride height.

GL.

Last edited by Miguk_Saram; 06-30-2022 at 05:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Zundfolge (11-28-2022)