GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

What is this missing connector?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2021, 02:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W447
Question What is this missing connector?

Vehicle is a 2009 GL320 with the OM642 Bluetec motor. Everything is stock.

I completed some maintenance (seals, filter, etc.) and was doing a final check when I found a lonely connector. I've searched for a couple of hours and I cannot find a matching empty terminal/sensor. The connector is located on the passenger side near the middle of the engine. I am attaching a photo. Does anyone know where this connector should go?

Thank you in advance.

Where should home be for this engine connector?
Old 09-02-2021, 04:58 AM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
Don't have an answer for you however, from the photo, it does not appear to have been connected to anything (dust accumulated on the inside).

Inspect the connector housing and contacts for signs of actually having been connected to something. Look for scratch marks anywhere on the inside of the housing that would indicate something sliding in/out.

There are a number of "extra" connectors on my GL450 that do not attach to anything and are just kinda hanging around, the most obvious one is on the radiator fan harness.
The following users liked this post:
NC_W477 (09-02-2021)
Old 09-02-2021, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
'08 GL 320 CDI
It's not uncommon to have unused connectors. Do you have any issues? Everything is working correctly? If yes, don't worry about it. But, as noted above, it looks like that plug has sat like that for a long time (probably since 2009).

However, it can only go so far - so if there's nothing around it to plug into, that furthers the idea that it's unused.

Trying to remember from memory, though... Is there anything with an empty plug on the fuel filter?

Last edited by DennisG01; 09-02-2021 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-02-2021, 11:38 AM

W447
Originally Posted by Miguk_Saram
Don't have an answer for you however, from the photo, it does not appear to have been connected to anything (dust accumulated on the inside).

Inspect the connector housing and contacts for signs of actually having been connected to something. Look for scratch marks anywhere on the inside of the housing that would indicate something sliding in/out.

There are a number of "extra" connectors on my GL450 that do not attach to anything and are just kinda hanging around, the most obvious one is on the radiator fan harness.
Hi Miguk. That is a great suggestion of inspecting the connector housing to see if anything were ever attached. I'll check today, thank you for the response.
Old 09-02-2021, 11:45 AM

W447
Originally Posted by DennisG01
It's not uncommon to have unused connectors. Do you have any issues? Everything is working correctly? If yes, don't worry about it. But, as noted above, it looks like that plug has sat like that for a long time (probably since 2009).

However, it can only go so far - so if there's nothing around it to plug into, that furthers the idea that it's unused.

Trying to remember from memory, though... Is there anything with an empty plug on the fuel filter?
Hi DennisG01. I have not attempted to start the vehicle because I feared a bevy of codes might be thrown because of the disconnected connector. I'll try starting the engine after I check the connector for signs of ever being connected.

I've checked the fuel filter many times although I can clearly see that the fuel filter connector is connected and that connector is much smaller than the connector that is detached. The detached connector may have been under the turbo pipe, but the three connectors for the swirl motor and runner positions are connected. Is there any other sensor under the turbo pipe?

Thanks for the reply!
Old 09-02-2021, 11:48 AM

W447
Originally Posted by DennisG01

Hi DennisG01. I have not attempted to start the vehicle because I feared a bevy of codes might be thrown because of the disconnected connector. I'll try starting the engine after I check the connector for signs of ever being connected.

I've checked the fuel filter many times although I can clearly see that the fuel filter connector is connected and that connector is much smaller than the connector that is detached. The detached connector may have been under the turbo pipe, but the three connectors for the swirl motor and runner positions are connected. Is there any other sensor under the turbo pipe?

Thanks for the reply!
Old 09-02-2021, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
'08 GL 320 CDI
It definitely doesn't look like it's been connected. Besides, you probably would have remembered unplugging it... which means it HASN'T been plugged in and you HAVEN'T been getting codes.

But... the only other thing I can think of off hand (and I'm not at my car to check what it looks like) is the little heater that is in the small rubber hose before the turbo intake. It's underneath the plastic intake and on the starboard side of the turbo. It comes from the PCV on the aft, starboard side of the valve cover.