GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Liftgate on the fritz AGAIN (video)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-09-2022 | 08:51 AM

2001 S500 (W220) / 2007 GL450 (X164)
Liftgate on the fritz AGAIN (video)

Good morning and happy new year!

Ive been posting on these forums for a number of years and I appreciate all of the help I’ve been given! I’ve had many ups and downs with this lift gate and I’m hoping that you guys can assist me with one final fix to FINALLY get it working again!

https://youtu.be/CQ_aqHmejPk
Old 01-09-2022 | 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Now just one GL450 with EORP.
So a couple things:
One. You say that the reservoir was full but now it isn’t? That would indicate a leak and the behavior that you were seeing in the opening and closing action when it is successfully triggered. Did you ever set the limiter switch for the gate to only open partially? If not that is right about where the system runs out of hydraulic pressure to open the gate.

Two. your three pointed star is missing on the deck lid and it looks like you have three holes that might lead in water. Right underneath there is your deck lid hand switch that may have ingested a lot of water and therefore only work sporadically. If your fob and door switch always work that would indicate the deck lid hand switch is at fault.

I think you have a multiple of issues going on but the closing and opening is hydraulic and the failure to actuate is probably your deck lid switch.

Last edited by Max Blast; 01-09-2022 at 03:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Mikchek (01-10-2022)
Old 01-10-2022 | 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Max Blast
So a couple things:
One. You say that the reservoir was full but now it isn’t? That would indicate a leak and the behavior that you were seeing in the opening and closing action when it is successfully triggered. Did you ever set the limiter switch for the gate to only open partially? If not that is right about where the system runs out of hydraulic pressure to open the gate.

Two. your three pointed star is missing on the deck lid and it looks like you have three holes that might lead in water. Right underneath there is your deck lid hand switch that may have ingested a lot of water and therefore only work sporadically. If your fob and door switch always work that would indicate the deck lid hand switch is at fault.

I think you have a multiple of issues going on but the closing and opening is hydraulic and the failure to actuate is probably your deck lid switch.
I appreciate the insight...where/what is the limiter switch? I have heard about that but I didn't think I had it on my model (2007).

As far as the star I have the stuff to fix it I just didn't know how to get to the back of that part. now I guess I need to get back there to see if there is any other damage.
Old 01-21-2022 | 01:23 AM

Update: I filled the pump with oil (it was empty for some reason) and tightened the screw pretty tight.
i used the button on the drivers door to open the liftgate. It only opened halfway. I pulled the button again and it went all the way up.

it’s been working good so far.
if it acts up again I’ll change the pump and reassess.