GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Airmatic issues in cold weather

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2022, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 612 Likes on 519 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Could be, making the compressor weak. Worth a shot running it with the intake pipe disconnected to rule this in or out.
The following users liked this post:
The Thomas J (04-25-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 11:39 PM

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts
2011 GL 550, 2010 MB S550, 2004 BMW 645Cic 1988 Corvette
Originally Posted by Max Blast
Could be, making the compressor weak. Worth a shot running it with the intake pipe disconnected to rule this in or out.
So that's exactly what I did and most of the issues went away. I ordered a new filter and installed it today. The old one was completely clogged and most likely the original Mercedes Benz did a huge disservice to owners the way the engineers decided to route the filter in between the fender and wheel well. It's out of sight, out of mind. They must have realized their error because on the X166 the filter is mounted by the compressor. The compressor is still a bit loud, but it's working the way it should.

I'm still getting the pressure sensor errors in both rear struts. These are brand new Arnotts. I'm going to try the simplest thing and disconnect them and reconnect them again, clear the codes and see if that works. If it doesn't it has to go back to the shop. I find it hard to believe that a set of brand new Arnotts would both be bad.

Just an FYI with regards to the "filter" It's nothing more than an inline fuel filter. There is no reason to order one from FCP Euro or go to the dealer. You can pick one up at ANY auto parts store for $5.00

Last edited by The Thomas J; 04-28-2022 at 11:52 PM.
Old 08-16-2022, 12:29 AM

Even after all the needed repairs, I was still getting a malfunction message on a regular basis. It was becoming a problem to the point that the car was higher in the front than the back and the ride was suffering. After painstakingly diagnosing it myself I came ti the conclusion that I needed a new air block. I brought it to a shop that only works on German cars and their diagnosis were the same. New valve block, and reprogram the system. I also noticed that the compressor has become quieter since I had the valve block installed. I had a bunch of other work done too.

Transmission and transfer case service.
My starter was going and had a new one put in before it left me or my wife stuck
I had a bunch of low voltage codes, the shop charged both the batteries and the errors went away.

He said the Trans fluid wasn't terrible, no metal and it didn't smell burnt.

I am now completely caught up with all the maintenance. Some I was able to do, some the shops did. What a PIA. But, it's worth it because the car is doing what it's supposed to be doing.

Last edited by The Thomas J; 08-16-2022 at 12:32 AM.
Old 12-29-2022, 06:47 PM

Received 305 Likes on 238 Posts
2010 ML550 VIN WDC1641722A564750, 2010 B180
Originally Posted by eric_in_sd
Recall I did a thorough investigation of this and found the non Chinesium compressor. Look for AMK.

On the one hand Arnott will give free replacements, but the replacement labor is not negligible. If you stay on top of the air bags condition, you can get over 100K miles out of a pump.
AMK is the OEM. I bought one and compared it to the original and its the exact same item in all respects.
Old 12-29-2022, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by BlackML550
AMK is the OEM. I bought one and compared it to the original and its the exact same item in all respects.
The quality isn't as good IMO. The new compressor I installed 10 months ago was loud, the colder it gets the louder it becomes. It's very annoying. Aside from it being loud It seems to work fine.
BlackML550 (12-29-2022)
Old 12-30-2022, 08:53 PM

Received 143 Likes on 127 Posts
GL550 X164
Arnott does two things that annoy me. One is imply you ought change the relay. The other, considerably more damaging, is that you ought change the air line fittings.

Change the relay if it stops working. Change the fittings if they leak.
Bilstein installation instructions also note to replace the fitting. Simple insurance to avoid problems with parts from others but also introduce risk of messing up the lines during ring removal.
Old 12-30-2022, 08:59 PM

GL550 X164
Originally Posted by The Thomas J
Update: When last I posted I had received the new air compressor from Arnott. I had it installed. The car will level, but I am still getting a malfunction message on the dash that cuts the compressor off. This is becoming very frustrating. This new compressor isn't as quiet as I thought it would be. The one on my S class is silent. All you hear is a faint humming sound. I am getting to the point where I regret not converting the system to regular struts and springs.
I wonder if the S class compressor is somehow different or it's location muffles it well when working. It's on the flagship model after all. On my GL 550 I can't hear the compressor inside the cabin even with the windows down, but standing outside on the passenger side it is slightly noticeable over the rumble of the motor.
The Thomas J (12-31-2022)
Old 12-31-2022, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 593 Likes on 499 Posts
2007 GL450
Originally Posted by expl0rer
introduce risk of messing up the lines during ring removal.
And if you damage the line replacing the fitting, who is left holding the bag (har har)?

You can always change the fittings later if there is a leak.
Old 12-31-2022, 01:29 PM

GL550 X164
And if you damage the line replacing the fitting, who is left holding the bag (har har)?

You can always change the fittings later if there is a leak.
I should have clarified that the insurance is for Arnott and Bilstein. I'm with you on the need to replace the fitting.

As for who holds the bag, Bilsteins include monchichis whose job is just that. Two per side. Because just one would be bored doing it alone, although perfectly capable. Plus having backup is always good.
eric_in_sd (12-31-2022)
Old 01-29-2023, 04:24 PM

Frustration galore!
The brand new AMK air compressor that I purchased from Arnott last March basically gave up. It was loud from day one and became louder as time went on. It wasn't lifting the car to the proper height and started throwing a malfunction. This leads me to believe it was either a refurbished unit or was defective from the factory. I put a warranty claim in through Rock Auto, had a new unit delivered. I had it installed and all was well. I picked the car up yesterday and drove it all day no issues at all. It's quiet the car is at the proper height. I'm happy, the wife is happy etc..

Today she took it to the mall to do some shopping, she calls me to tell me how happy she is with the car. 15 minutes later she calls me again and said she hurt a popping noise and the back of the car is on the ground and there is a malfunction. One of the year-old rear airbags blew. She was close by so I told her to drive home and park it. Now I have to have it towed to the shop so the ADS struts don't become damaged. If you have followed this thread you will recall that I replaced everything less than a year ago. Front and rear struts, airbags, compressor, and valve block. What really aggravates me is that the rear airbags didn't need to be replaced, but since I was already in there to do the ADS struts and I didn't know how old the airbags were I replaced them anyway.

I haven't had air suspension issues like this since I drove Lincolns. New parts shouldn't be blowing up like this.
Old 02-08-2023, 12:30 AM

I received some good news today. The airbag(s) did not fail. the airline that feeds the rear bags broke at one of the connections. I'm not sure if it was related to when the shop replaced the compressor 2 days earlier. The shop might have thought that was the case, they didn't charge me for the repair or the tow. The Benz seems to be good now.