GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

2011 GL450 not starting - new battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2022, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
GL450, 2010. I need location of the fuses/relay of the starter and SAM where the starter getting the power. Thanks
Old 03-04-2022, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 579 Likes on 488 Posts
2007 GL450
Originally Posted by expl0rer
The starter bit me yesterday. In my case I had been hearing a couple of symptoms for a little bit. One: slow and extended cranks more often than not and two: the starter kept engaged for a short time after engine start. Yesterday it started a couple of times and on the third attempt to fire the car up I got nothing from it. Dash lights on but no sound from the motor/starter. Tried with KG and the key. Battery was at 11.58V, tried jumping the car, but no luck. Had the old Gertha towed on a flatbed to a shop which diagnosed bad starter + approx 700 to replace. Starter is from CarQuest, limited lifetime warranty. On a side note, the failed starter in the car is not original or MB, I was told by the shop. My car just clicked 160000 km. Starters are not mileage sensitive. The more you start the car, the more they will wear. Grocery getters will tend to have more starter replacements than long road trip warriors. Seems like I got a grocery getter.
Definitely, if the starter begins showing symptoms of old age, do not delay. We do not suddenly grow younger; neither do electricals.

This is like with the airomatic system: The starter, battery, and alternator work together. A dying starter can drag down the battery, which can drag down the alternator. Keep all three healthy and they will be a happy menage a trois for a long time.
Old 03-25-2022, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
help please. Need exact N15/9 and X30/9 connector locations. GL450 2010. Thanks, STAR can not communicate to this.
Old 11-11-2022, 11:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ML63 5.5V8 biTurbo
Originally Posted by eric_in_sd
Definitely, if the starter begins showing symptoms of old age, do not delay. We do not suddenly grow younger; neither do electricals.

This is like with the airomatic system: The starter, battery, and alternator work together. A dying starter can drag down the battery, which can drag down the alternator. Keep all three healthy and they will be a happy menage a trois for a long time.

Would stater be the culprit for the long crank I’m having ONLY when the engine is warm? Never cold start. The workaround I found that works 9 out of 10 times, maybe getting less now, is to stop at each key position, few seconds each. At first I thought maybe clogged fuel filter as I can hear the pump push fuel at position 2, but I can’t sit there too long, had to be precisely only few seconds. Turn to position 3 and start. If I turn from 2 to 3 too soon or too late, I get long crank with 50/50 chances of starting. ONLY when the engine is warm.
2014 ML63 AMG.

Any idea?

I read the entire post, I experienced exactly the same nightmare on the way home to Tampa from north Atlanta where I just bought the ML63 last 02/2022. I had my wife and kids with me, I stopped to fuel at Shell gas station 3hrs away from the dealer and it didn’t start. Just lights no crank at the gas pump around 11PM. My diagnosis was bad key, the only key I got. I got it towed the next morning, and got two new keys DAS ordered from Germany and programmed.
It was a month before I got my newly purchased ML63 in my driveway. The dealer didn’t mention the long crank but I think it was already happening, but because they only start it when cold. Not in between errands.
Old 11-12-2022, 12:30 AM

Received 93 Likes on 86 Posts
2006 R500
Originally Posted by amguevarra
Would stater be the culprit for the long crank I’m having ONLY when the engine is warm? Never cold start. The workaround I found that works 9 out of 10 times, maybe getting less now, is to stop at each key position, few seconds each. At first I thought maybe clogged fuel filter as I can hear the pump push fuel at position 2, but I can’t sit there too long, had to be precisely only few seconds. Turn to position 3 and start. If I turn from 2 to 3 too soon or too late, I get long crank with 50/50 chances of starting. ONLY when the engine is warm.
2014 ML63 AMG.

Any idea?

I read the entire post, I experienced exactly the same nightmare on the way home to Tampa from north Atlanta where I just bought the ML63 last 02/2022. I had my wife and kids with me, I stopped to fuel at Shell gas station 3hrs away from the dealer and it didn’t start. Just lights no crank at the gas pump around 11PM. My diagnosis was bad key, the only key I got. I got it towed the next morning, and got two new keys DAS ordered from Germany and programmed.
It was a month before I got my newly purchased ML63 in my driveway. The dealer didn’t mention the long crank but I think it was already happening, but because they only start it when cold. Not in between errands.
I had exactly these symptoms on my R500. Slow crank when hot, finally getting to the point of no crank when hot. New starter resolved that issue, cranked right up every single time. That is, until my engine seized up. Either from lack of oil, or stuck open injectors damaging the engine, or combination of both.
The following users liked this post:
amguevarra (11-12-2022)
Old 11-12-2022, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 578 Likes on 487 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Heat adds resistance to electrics, so it is plausible. But what you’re describing is a longer crank period vice a slower crank which is what you’d get from a heat soaked tired starter. A longer period of cranking at the same speed as when it is cold generally indicates a fuel pressure retention problem.
The following users liked this post:
amguevarra (11-12-2022)
Old 11-12-2022, 07:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ML63 5.5V8 biTurbo
Originally Posted by Max Blast
Heat adds resistance to electrics, so it is plausible. But what you’re describing is a longer crank period vice a slower crank which is what you’d get from a heat soaked tired starter. A longer period of cranking at the same speed as when it is cold generally indicates a fuel pressure retention problem.
thank you both for the input!
I say warm engine because if I start it right back up after parking then it goes right away, still doing the pos 1-2-start. But if I park and get the kids inside, get in the car atlease 30min or 1hr after, then I’ll get this behavior.

I will observe and listen closely, perhaps it is slower that lead to longer cracking period that sometimes sounds like it won’t start, so I give some gas then it goes. When CEL comes on I get a P1CCF which is fuel related. However, I do not have any drivability issues even with spirited driving. Fuel retention problem is HPFP or LPFP(sucky because the tank needs to be dropped to replace this).

Thanks again