GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

AIRMATIC NOT LIFTING THE REAR WHEELS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2022, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL550, CLS550, GL450
AIRMATIC NOT LIFTING THE REAR WHEELS

I've replaced the compressor, the valve block, and both air bags in the rear, but the rear of the vehicle will not rise. I don't think it's the ride height sensors but I haven't replaced those yet. The original issue was that I could hear an intermittent leak near the rear drivers side bag. I went on vacation and came back to all four corners down and wouldn't inflate. I replaced the compressor and the front lifted but the rear didn't lift at all. I then replaced the bad bag but still no lift. I also replaced the other rear passenger side air bag. Nothing. I sprayed every connection, from the valve block and compressor to the connections to the rear bags and the reserved air canister. The rear still doesn't lift. There are no codes to consider. The vehicle doesn't even say it's raising on the dashboard, nor is the compressor on continuously. Does anyone know what the issue could possibly be?
Old 11-12-2022, 07:24 PM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
Disconnect the air lines from the rear bags, then try to raise the vehicle and verify that sufficient air comes out from those lines (volume, pressure, and duration).

If no air, play with the height sensors a bit (disconnect the 'link arm' and angle the 'sensor arm' sligthly up/down) to see if you can trigger the compressor.

If the compressor triggers, but still no air, then you may have an issue at the valve block. You should also check your compressor electrical connections for proper fit, as well as your fuse and relay for continuity and proper operation.

Of course, take all appropriate safety precautions since you will be working on suspension components (under the vehicle) for extended periods. Use jackstands and wheel chocks.

Last edited by Miguk_Saram; 11-13-2022 at 06:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
texas008 (11-15-2022)
Old 11-13-2022, 09:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 599 Likes on 507 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
If the compressor isn’t coming on, it isn’t being commanded to. Let’s talk about how you r/r the rear Bags. Did you let the car down on the bump stops from the jack or did you set it at ride height and allow the suspension to fully inflate?

if you did the former I think you might have dislodged a level sensor and at that point nothing is telling your system to inflate.
Old 11-13-2022, 08:50 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2009 GL 320
Originally Posted by Miguk_Saram
You should also check your compressor electrical connections for proper fit, as well as your fuse and relay for continuity
second this - check 40 amp fuse and relay in engine bay fuse box.
Old 11-14-2022, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 593 Likes on 499 Posts
2007 GL450
Kindly specify the makers of the compressor, bags, and most of all, the valve block.