GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

New airbags, but car don't lifts up/pump not start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2022, 02:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL350
New airbags, but car don't lifts up/pump not start

So after a lots of annoying and quite stupid "try to fix" I throw all the stuff away
For a couples of months ago I went to Mercedes in St George UT, to figure the issue out.
But when I came back to pick it up, they just told me that they fail searched the car and came down to that I might.. MIGHT! have either a left rear air bag leak, bad pump, or bad valve body.. they did NOT fix it due to that they had to wait for parts IF they started to pull it apart!?
So there I stand again with an leaning car..
Pump seems to work totally fine, old thu, but seems to pump just fine and the car holds the air, as it has been doing for some year now
So tired of this, I pulled my Arnott bags out (saving them because I really don't think they have any issues) and put Mercedes OEM Bilstein in there.. I disassembled my old air pump and the valve body and bolted new OEM stuff there..
BUT!!! Now the car are all down on the ground and doesn't want to get up, no pumping!! The pump started up just fine once I connected it and put the new fuse and relay in the box, BUT once the whole car was assembled and I, again,

put the fuse and relay back.. NOTHING!? :/ Why? I plugged in my iCarsoft and it was reading something like "No pressure", 'Air leak" or something like that.. Yes it is empty of air due to pulling all the lines and NO, it is Not connected wrong.. I took one line after each and moved it over just to make sure so nothing gets mixed, thu it almost impossible, due to the good color coding of lines and the valve body! Good job on that Mercedes!
But again, how do I get the car to pump up the pressure?? It seems to be something that stop the car to start up the pump.. Is there a way to "shortcut" the relay or so, just to get it started and build the first pressure?
Thank You
Old 03-28-2022, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 577 Likes on 486 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Can I car soft manually inflate each corner?
Old 03-28-2022, 10:10 PM

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts
2011 GL 550, 2010 MB S550, 2004 BMW 645Cic 1988 Corvette
If you have tried multiple fuses and relays and checked the wire harness to the compressor for breaks, the new compressor is most likely defective. Reconnect the old compressor and see if that works.
In addition, you don't put all 4 wheels completely on the ground when you first pressure the new airbags. You let most of the weight of the car rest on jacks. Start the car and let the new air struts inflate. Once that is done you can take the jacks off.

Last edited by The Thomas J; 03-28-2022 at 10:13 PM.
Old 04-20-2022, 01:53 PM

GL350
No, I wish Max Blast
Old 05-01-2022, 12:49 PM

GL350
Ok, so today I got some time to tinker around on the Merc
Found out that the new pump! was actually pumping backwards!!! No way to connect wrong, so but why?
Put my old pump back, lifted the car perfectly, BUT it was hesitating on my drivers side left. It was raising and lowering it for about 10 min and finally stopped and just sank down as it was from the beginning= no air comes to the bag, whatsoever. Put the car on ramps, disconnected the sensor to check out the voltage and levels, worked fine
BUT, even thu I put it as lowest, it still NOT send any air to that bag, Only at that start moment after changing pump!!??
So I am back to phase one again
All bags new, new valve body, I don't find any leaks whatsoever
All started after I had it at Big Ol Tires in Elko NV
That guy did something but I can't find what
He was supposed to do an alignment after he put new tires on He sold me puncture resistant tires, run flats, but I found out later, that is not runflats!!
When I picked up the car he said that they could not do the alignment due to some rusty part I did not think too much about it at the moment, but the car got lower and lower on my rear driver side I thought it was the airbag (was only 1.5 year old Arnott) so I waited to then I had a moment, time or money to do the change Took it to Mercedes in St George for estimate and fail search, and later changed myself to OEM bags and OEM valve body and pump
Well, it is NOTHING rusty anywhere under my car, Nowhere! Big Ol Tires damages my car somehow!!!! They had to been plugging in their computer and changed something!! How do I go forth with this? How do I get my car scanned? I live up in Elko NV and is way far to nearest Mercedes dealer or I dont know any Idy shop around or close to here... I have only the iCarsoft that only reads the inputs but cant change anything.. Please, any suggestions or should I just scrap this? Because Big Ol Tires??? They take no responsibility....