GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Brake Recall: 292,000 ML, GL, and R-Class

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2022 | 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
I'm no mathematician but it would seem that, if they tested it twice and only failed one time, it means you should be OK 50% of the time. Just look at it from a positive perspective - glass half full.
The following 2 users liked this post by BlownV8:
E55Greasemonkey (06-29-2022), Solo wing (06-26-2022)
Old 06-28-2022 | 10:40 AM

GL 450
Our local dealership sent a technician to our house today to inspect our GL's brake booster. Looks like here they are just sending a tech, or techs out to inspect all the affected models in the area (probably most effecient). I skimmed through all the previous posts, and maybe I missed it, but here's what I was informed by my tech. He told me the issue stemmed from, I'll just use GL owners for our case, owners not keeping the area around the windshield wiper arms clear of debris, leaf litter, pine needles, etc. He showed me the drain for this area and told me when the wiper area gets clogged up with these types of debris, it blocks the drainage and the "container" area that the brake booster, fluid reservoir and master cylinder sits in begins to accumulate and hold water. He also told me that they've only had one or two vehicles that this had happened to, and that one of them was so full of pine needles that they were even piled up on top of the wiper arms and blades. Anyway, he removed the rubber band around the booster and showed me what they inspect for on the inside of this band. One part of our band had the slightest bit of rust, but he said that they're looking for rust spots on the band > 15mm in size, or more widespread along the band. He said if they fail the rust size test then he would hook up a scan tool and perform a (I presume) pressure holding test using something to depress the brake pedal. Basically, it sounds like they were given a flow chart that starts with inspecting the wiper area for clutter, inspecting the basin that the booster sits in, removing and inspecting for rust around the booster band, etc., and based on their findings continuing on with tests if necessary. He didn't say, and I didn't think to ask what type of testing is done if the vehicle fails the booster pressure hold test. That's all I have, just figured I'd share.
The following users liked this post:
StradaRedlands (06-28-2022)
Old 06-28-2022 | 10:44 AM

2011 ML350
Originally Posted by Woody1973
Our local dealership sent a technician to our house today to inspect our GL's brake booster. Looks like here they are just sending a tech, or techs out to inspect all the affected models in the area (probably most effecient). I skimmed through all the previous posts, and maybe I missed it, but here's what I was informed by my tech. He told me the issue stemmed from, I'll just use GL owners for our case, owners not keeping the area around the windshield wiper arms clear of debris, leaf litter, pine needles, etc. He showed me the drain for this area and told me when the wiper area gets clogged up with these types of debris, it blocks the drainage and the "container" area that the brake booster, fluid reservoir and master cylinder sits in begins to accumulate and hold water. He also told me that they've only had one or two vehicles that this had happened to, and that one of them was so full of pine needles that they were even piled up on top of the wiper arms and blades. Anyway, he removed the rubber band around the booster and showed me what they inspect for on the inside of this band. One part of our band had the slightest bit of rust, but he said that they're looking for rust spots on the band > 15mm in size, or more widespread along the band. He said if they fail the rust size test then he would hook up a scan tool and perform a (I presume) pressure holding test using something to depress the brake pedal. Basically, it sounds like they were given a flow chart that starts with inspecting the wiper area for clutter, inspecting the basin that the booster sits in, removing and inspecting for rust around the booster band, etc., and based on their findings continuing on with tests if necessary. He didn't say, and I didn't think to ask what type of testing is done if the vehicle fails the booster pressure hold test. That's all I have, just figured I'd share.
Sounds like you had a well-informed tech -- lucky you! You're right about the flow chart. I've done a bit of digging on the actual campaign, and that's exactly right:
1) Clear debris
2) Check the sleeve for rust
2a) If no rust, there's no need to run a scan
2b) If there's rust, run a scan
3a) If scan passes, issue "Passed" certificate
3b) If scan fails, issue "DO NOT DRIVE" guidance and offer mobility solution
The following 3 users liked this post by deraj090:
Greg Grider (07-04-2022), StradaRedlands (06-28-2022), Woody1973 (06-28-2022)
Old 06-29-2022 | 10:56 AM

2012 GL350
Originally Posted by deraj090
Sounds like you had a well-informed tech -- lucky you! You're right about the flow chart. I've done a bit of digging on the actual campaign, and that's exactly right:
1) Clear debris
2) Check the sleeve for rust
2a) If no rust, there's no need to run a scan
2b) If there's rust, run a scan
3a) If scan passes, issue "Passed" certificate
3b) If scan fails, issue "DO NOT DRIVE" guidance and offer mobility solution
Thanks for the additional information as mine was just completed. My service advisor could not provide me with any information when I inquired why it indicated my sleeve had failed, but test passed. The response was that they had a list of items to go through and that's how they need to respond to Mercedes USA.

My work order states the following:
"Perform Campaign 20220500015. Remove rubber sleeve from brake booster and examine corrosion marks. Rubber sleeve did not pass inspection. Install battery charger and SDS. Perform short test and print to file. Perform brake booster braking power test using xentry. Booster passed test. Paint white circle mark on booster as outlined."

I did not receive any "certificate." I did not receive any printout of booster braking power test.

When I mentioned that I was informed that I need to have the booster checked again in 2-years being it "passed," the advisor had no idea what I was talking about.

I'm a bit confused about the recall and getting our vehicles checked out as there were supposedly no issues with the brake booster failing, but instead with corrosion of the brake booster. So, what was the point of the "recall" if a corroded brake booster is provided with a "pass."

Last edited by 91stealthes; 06-29-2022 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-29-2022 | 11:19 AM

2008 gl320
I received an email from a rep from mobilerecallteam dot com on behalf of a nearby dealership that I've never been to before. I scheduled with her to have a tech come to me to do the inspection. I wasn't here when he did it (last minute conflict) but the inspection was completed. The band has been removed and he left a certificate showing that it passed initial inspection.

StradaRedlands (06-29-2022)
Old 06-29-2022 | 11:31 AM

2011 ML350
Originally Posted by 91stealthes
I'm a bit confused about the recall and getting our vehicles checked out as there were supposedly no issues with the brake booster failing, but instead with corrosion of the brake booster. So, what was the point of the "recall" if a corroded brake booster is provided with a "pass."
Honestly, none of it makes sense. MB Corporate has been pointing to the dealerships -- Dealerships have been pointing to MB Corporate -- and on top of it all, the component needed to actually fix a "failed" test isn't available and there's no line of sight to when it will become available. The 'mobility solution' they're offering is $80/day rental reimbursement for 30 days max -- so either that component needs to be in stock within 30 days, or everyone with a failed test and "do not drive" guidance from MB is screwed.
The following 2 users liked this post by deraj090:
AlexandIssy2022 (07-27-2022), StradaRedlands (06-29-2022)
Old 06-29-2022 | 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Our local dealership sent a technician to our house today to inspect our GL's brake booster….. He didn't say, and I didn't think to ask what type of testing is done if the vehicle fails the booster pressure hold test. That's all I have, just figured I'd share.
great post, thanks for the info.
Woody1973 (07-06-2022)
Old 06-29-2022 | 04:36 PM

2011 ML350
Here is the latest Campaign bulletin that was sent to dealerships. I stand corrected (and am happy to admit-so): the latest guidance is if a first test fails, perform a 2nd test. If both fail, clearly the car is "grounded," but if the 2nd test passes, it's considered an overall "pass" and is safe to drive. These cars are still eligible for the replacement brake booster once inventory is available.

Also worth noting, check out page 17, which lays out the reimbursement that the dealerships are being offered for these tests -- its clear now why many of us are being contacted by dealerships we've never done business with!
The following 2 users liked this post by deraj090:
Greg Grider (07-04-2022), StradaRedlands (06-29-2022)
Old 06-29-2022 | 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by deraj090
Here is the latest Campaign bulletin that was sent to dealerships. I stand corrected (and am happy to admit-so): the latest guidance is if a first test fails, perform a 2nd test. If both fail, clearly the car is "grounded," but if the 2nd test passes, it's considered an overall "pass" and is safe to drive. These cars are still eligible for the replacement brake booster once inventory is available.

Also worth noting, check out page 17, which lays out the reimbursement that the dealerships are being offered for these tests -- its clear now why many of us are being contacted by dealerships we've never done business with!
even better information, thanks for sharing.
Old 06-30-2022 | 07:10 PM

2012 gl450
Finally I’m getting my GL picked up on Tuesday to be brought to the dealership and hopefully get this matter resolved as of now I am not supposed to drive it and I am still using my loaner. Overall very disappointed how Mercedes-Benz has handled this situation every person you talk to you always get a different response really disappointed
Old 06-30-2022 | 07:36 PM

GL350
I was told, “don’t worry about the brake recall, just bring it in at your next service”! That’s is 6,000 miles so 6 months!.
Old 06-30-2022 | 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What @deraj090 posted should be how every MB dealer handles this recall, anything else is just fly by night bull**** antics.

edit: US dealer.
Old 06-30-2022 | 11:32 PM

GL550 X164
I got the courage to call two dealers today. More on why two instead of one in a bit.

I live 2 hrs away from the closest dealer and 3.5 hrs away from the second closest. These are some of the perks of not living in civilization! I like where I live though. It's not as barbaric as I make it sound.
Dealers are Canadian.

Dealer One: service department was busy so they could not take my call, but the receptionist claimed that she knew a little bit about the recall and how this dealer will handle it. I played along and asked. I was told the car was eligible for towing via roadside assistance and was given their 800 number. I would call them and they would arrange towing to the dealer at no charge to me. She wasn't sure how quickly they couild look at the car. If the car failed, I would be eligible for a rental (or a loaner? I doubt the latter, personally). Replacement parts were not expected to be available till October. I did not get into detail about the test procedure, number of pass/fail results, etc. I was a little concerned that the big old beast would get towed and then sit with the dealer indefinitely. I asked the service department to call be back, but they did not today. Granted it was later in the day and tomorrow is Canada's Fireworks Day.

Dealer Two: I spoke to a service advisor. Their service manager is responsible for scheduling the inspections. I give them the VIN, they verify it qualifies for the recall, pass it along to the service manager and he takes over getting the car inspected. The SA was not sure if the car would be eligible for a tow.

I did not get into the details about rentals/loaner vehicles and length of those being available to me.

I don't think I am a whole lot more informed about the recall after those two calls. I am afraid that if I give my VIN to the second dealer, I will be added to their list of vehicles to service for the recall and while I like that the SM leads the recall process there, I feel like some perks which presumably exist based on the receptionist from Dealer One, but are certainly not confirmed or guaranteed, may not be offered by Dealer Two. I expected the SA to know something about those like the receptionist did (or said so), but alas no luck there.

I will give Dealer One Monday to call me back (BAU here in the North Country, although it's our American friends' Fireworks Day).

In the meantime a break flush will probably happen sometime over the weekend or early next week. And I might become adventurous enough to remove that rubber sleeve and inspect it visually myself.
Old 07-01-2022 | 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If you have a power brake bleeder the job is dead simple. And now that you have the procedure you know what to look for.
Old 07-01-2022 | 12:46 AM

GL550 X164
Originally Posted by Max Blast
If you have a power brake bleeder the job is dead simple. And now that you have the procedure you know what to look for.
I have a power bleeder and flushed several vehicles before. Dead simple? Wait till you read my Murphy story about the radiator flush.

I have my caliper ready to measure the rust spots.
Old 07-06-2022 | 11:07 AM

GL450
Letter received yesterday:
Attached Files
Old 09-16-2022 | 12:38 PM

2010 GL 450
What's the latest on this?

I'll just say that my local benz dealer has been paying $70/day for our very nice 2022 Nissan Armada rental since July 10th (approx. $4900 + tax)... Honestly, the trade-in value of our 2010 GL450 is close to that. It's got about 165k miles.

They're paying Enterprise directly, so we could care less how much longer they take to fix the recall.

Has anyone actually had theirs repaired yet?
Old 09-16-2022 | 12:53 PM

E400 Wagon; 2010 ML350; 08 CLK350 Cabriolet; 69 SL280
Sometimes you’re these statue and sometimes you’re the pigeon

and rarely are you the eagle - think you made it this time congrats
Old 09-16-2022 | 12:55 PM

2010 GL 450
Originally Posted by makiii
Sometimes you’re these statue and sometimes you’re the pigeon

and rarely are you the eagle - think you made it this time congrats
Interesting concept on life, but I get it.
Old 09-16-2022 | 04:01 PM

2010 GL 450
Just talked to my dealership. They said it'll be late October/Early November 2022 before parts are available. They also said MB is offering a buyback program. They are giving NADA book value + "a premium for the inconvenience". They write you a check, which you can use to buy a new MB or move on to another brand - your choice.
StradaRedlands (09-16-2022)
Old 09-16-2022 | 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DrMel
Just talked to my dealership. They said it'll be late October/Early November 2022 before parts are available. They also said MB is offering a buyback program. They are giving NADA book value + "a premium for the inconvenience". They write you a check, which you can use to buy a new MB or move on to another brand - your choice.
Do tell more
Old 09-16-2022 | 08:22 PM

'07 GL450
FYI when I had my GL in for service last month, they did the booster check and gave me the certificate of goodness.
Old 09-16-2022 | 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
I am tempted to call MBUSA and tell them my brakes failed and I killed someone, just to hear the panic in their voices.
StradaRedlands (09-16-2022)
Old 03-29-2023 | 07:51 PM

2012 GL350
Just received an official recall letter informing me parts are now available for the vehicle. Per above, I fell into category 2 as my vehicle was inspected and failed the first test, but passed the second test. Looks like they aren't waiting the 2-years for reinspection before replacement.

Interestingly, the letter states, "As a matter of normal service process, an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealer will also check for other repair measures which might be applicable to your vehicle and this may increase the required working time. You will not be charged for other service or repairs unless so requested."

Did those that failed both tests during the stop drive ever get their booster replaced or are they just rolling them out now?
Old 03-29-2023 | 08:04 PM

2010 GL 450
Mine was replaced at the first of the year. They paid for my rental from July 2022 - Jan 2023 while my GL sat at the dealer. We were sad to give up the 2022 Nissan Armada that became part of our family for 6 months...

Originally Posted by 91stealthes
Just received an official recall letter informing me parts are now available for the vehicle. Per above, I fell into category 2 as my vehicle was inspected and failed the first test, but passed the second test. Looks like they aren't waiting the 2-years for reinspection before replacement.

Interestingly, the letter states, "As a matter of normal service process, an authorized Mercedes-Benz dealer will also check for other repair measures which might be applicable to your vehicle and this may increase the required working time. You will not be charged for other service or repairs unless so requested."

Did those that failed both tests during the stop drive ever get their booster replaced or are they just rolling them out now?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brake Recall: 292,000 ML, GL, and R-Class