GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Rear hatch issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2022, 09:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 GL450
Rear hatch issue

Odd issue with my x164's rear hatch. Remote opens/closes it fine, button in drivers door opens/closes it fine, button on bottom of hatch closes it fine, only the exterior button on the hatch won't open it. Sound like a (hopefully) just the switch itself? I had an 08 ML350 that I had constant electrical problems with the rear hatch and computer controlling it. Never did figure it out and got rid of the car. No idea where I'd find one now if it is the switch, but it's really annoying to not be able to open the hatch....from the hatch.
Old 07-08-2022, 06:50 AM

Received 143 Likes on 127 Posts
GL550 X164
I'm assuming you mean the handle on the liftgate, not button. Try this: open the liftgate from the emergency handle inside the trunk, but don't push it further. Only inlock/release the lock. Then use the exterior handle to open it. Does it work? If not, you might have a cable wire disconnected or broken. You could also have intermittent issues with the actuator, but that's less likely if you're able to open the trunk with other means.

Last edited by expl0rer; 07-08-2022 at 02:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Prince Somorin (07-08-2022)
Old 07-08-2022, 01:15 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2009 GL450
Originally Posted by expl0rer
I'm assuming you mean the handle on the liftgate, not button. Try this: open the liftgate from the emergency handle inside the trunk, but don't push it further. Only inlock/release the lock. Then use the exterior handle to open it. Does it work? If not, you might have a cable disconnected or broken. You could also have intermittent issues with the actuator, but that's less likely if you're able to open the trunk with other means.
I hope @Zodwraith won't mind me jumping in here as I have the same issue.

I am able to open using the emergency handle from the inside but everything else is the same as his.

Thanks.
Old 07-08-2022, 02:01 PM

Received 143 Likes on 127 Posts
GL550 X164
Originally Posted by Prince Somorin
I hope @Zodwraith won't mind me jumping in here as I have the same issue.

I am able to open using the emergency handle from the inside but everything else is the same as his.

Thanks.
In your case I would suspect wiring from the exterior handle. Check voltage and continuity for that harness.

When I said cable earlier, that is misleading. It's a wiring harness connected to the exterior handle.

The following users liked this post:
Prince Somorin (07-08-2022)
Old 07-17-2022, 11:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 GL450
I mean the button above the license plate in the recess you're calling a handle. I don't consider it a handle because I learned on my M class to never forcibly lift the gate via the handle cause it screwed up the computer that limits the opening and refused to ever activate the motors again. Tried several times to reset it to no avail. MB wanted over a grand to replace it, but I digress.

Yes, the emergency release works. Everything works except that button in the exterior handle. I'm sure it's not the actuator as, like Somorin, only that button doesn't activate the latch.

It's not a deal breaker, just an annoyance. When I get some time I guess I'll pull out the voltmeter and dismantle it. Could always be water damage from too many high pressure car washes. Wonder if I could find one in a salvage yard.