GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Seat belt and windows roll up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2022 | 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Haha, I got lucky.

You can also check your steering angle sensor on Comand -> Map -> Compass.

if your sas is giving erratic values, it’ll be obvious when this problem occurs and you can then monitor for this real-time with no scanner.

Also, someone’s been in your steering column if the wheel is at 4’o clock.

Old 11-04-2022 | 05:59 PM

2006 ML320 CDI (2 of) and 2008 GL320
Off topic but I have an 06 ML320 cdi that if you turn hard right the traction goes off. Same when you straighten quickly to right after turning left

the live data indicates expected (normal) readings for the steering angle but i get the steering angle sensor error as stored.

i did do the steering rack six months back, when I did it I did have the steering wheel held straight but still had to adjust the steering column to input shaft angle a few times. It is pretty wet 0 at straight now.

i would have thought that a faulty steering angle sensor would not give seemingly correct info on live data - I don’t get yaw sensor fault. I wonder if this is the cause?

i don’t get the traction cut in when I do the hard turns (at similar speeds) on grass (where I would have thought I would have slip).
Old 11-05-2022 | 09:23 AM

2010 GL550 | 2020 S560
@wannawagon I'm dreading the steering rack replacement...

@Max Blast I just did what you said in reference to using COMMAND. It calculates only in 5° increments but it appears the SAS is not the issue.

I'm going to tackle this yaw rate sensor replacement this week. Looks pretty straight forward.

There's plenty for sale used on eBay. I didn't see any off brand anywhere online.

Does the yaw sensor need to be calibrated after the new one is installed or is this a plug and play sensor?

I'm taking the GL on a road trip next weekend.
Old 11-06-2022 | 01:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Originally Posted by Yup497
@wannawagon I'm dreading the steering rack replacement...

@Max Blast I just did what you said in reference to using COMMAND. It calculates only in 5° increments but it appears the SAS is not the issue.

I'm going to tackle this yaw rate sensor replacement this week. Looks pretty straight forward.

There's plenty for sale used on eBay. I didn't see any off brand anywhere online.

Does the yaw sensor need to be calibrated after the new one is installed or is this a plug and play sensor?

I'm taking the GL on a road trip next weekend.
thats weird, my 07 displays every degree increment. That may be part of your problem, but likely a known good YRS will fix it.
should be plug and play, it’s just a sensor with no ECu.