steering module?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2022, 10:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
GL550 / AMG GTS
Exclamation steering module?

Hi guys.
I have a 2007 gl450 (gas) that I bought to revive and make a daily, maybe. It had sat for 2 years, dead, in someones yard etc. Anyway, got a battery, got it cleaned up, and it started right off.... I was impressed. However, as things have progressed, I have the following issues.

1. NO data to OBD port... it has power, powers up, but no connection. I have XENTRY/DAS and cannot read anything. The multiplexer powers up, but no dice.
2. NOTHING on the steering wheel works. Doesnt move, no buttons light, and MOST of the time wont shift. Sometimes the park is lit up, hit and miss.
3. Windshield wipers do not work, turn signals dont work - emergency flashers do - Randomly the wipers will cycle once.
4. All, literally, of the warning lights come on and go off randomly....head lights flickered once even, but sometimes they are all off... (runs great)
5. tach mostly doesnt work.
6. No audio from stereo - tried cd and radio both. Acts like it works, but no noise.

The floor board was wet.... curious.... dont know why. Anything hidden down there that will cause problems? (Drivers side, front)

Cooling fans work, runs great, once it did go into drive and drove great.... but now back to all of the above.

Does it have a 38 pin port somewhere in addition to the odbii? I have all the cables if so. Would the steering control module cause all of this? (No shift, blinking random warning lights, etc) Does the steering module have to be coded in? How to do this without ODBII port working if so? Any other ideas?

I have removed rear sam, cleaned all connections (none were bad), removed grounds front and rear, cleaned up, (none bad), and plugged and unplugged everything I can find.... all to no avail and nothing has made any remote change.

What am I missing?

I think that the part number for the steering control module is 164-545-87-16-80.. can anyone confirm? (I havent removed or investigated it much yet. Anyone repair them?

Last edited by gtstodd; 07-26-2022 at 11:22 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 07-27-2022, 02:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 599 Likes on 507 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Originally Posted by gtstodd
Hi guys.
I have a 2007 gl450 (gas) that I bought to revive and make a daily, maybe. It had sat for 2 years, dead, in someones yard etc. Anyway, got a battery, got it cleaned up, and it started right off.... I was impressed. However, as things have progressed, I have the following issues.

1. NO data to OBD port... it has power, powers up, but no connection. I have XENTRY/DAS and cannot read anything. The multiplexer powers up, but no dice.
2. NOTHING on the steering wheel works. Doesnt move, no buttons light, and MOST of the time wont shift. Sometimes the park is lit up, hit and miss.
3. Windshield wipers do not work, turn signals dont work - emergency flashers do - Randomly the wipers will cycle once.
4. All, literally, of the warning lights come on and go off randomly....head lights flickered once even, but sometimes they are all off... (runs great)
5. tach mostly doesnt work.
6. No audio from stereo - tried cd and radio both. Acts like it works, but no noise.

The floor board was wet.... curious.... dont know why. Anything hidden down there that will cause problems? (Drivers side, front)

I
The front Sam is under the drivers seat; battery and bus bars under the passenger. If it’s wet here open up the compartments under each seat and assess the damage. Having sat a long time I cannot imagine it will be good. What you’re describing is electrical wackery from water intrusion.

take a good look at other places where water collects such as the trunk before you decide to go any further with this - it might be a parts car, or you might get very lucky.
Old 08-01-2022, 11:55 PM

GL550 / AMG GTS
The central gateway module corrected 95% of everything. Also ended up putting in airmatic control module. All steering controls came back, keyless entry / keyless go all came back, etc. no warnings at present, other than self inflicted for a coding error telling it the car had ADS on the airmatic when it didnt.... beating my head on the wall trying to figure out where i coded that. Anyone knows, please share.

Old 08-02-2022, 02:35 AM
SPONSOR

Received 820 Likes on 635 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
contact me on my contact form and I will help you out
The following users liked this post:
gtstodd (08-08-2022)
Old 08-02-2022, 03:07 AM

GL550 / AMG GTS
sent message. thanks
Old 08-08-2022, 10:02 PM

GL550 / AMG GTS
You solved all of my problems and it was a humbling experience.... we have been working on these things for 20+ years... you zipped through it like you were reading the paper. I am impressed and thankful both!!
Old 08-08-2022, 10:03 PM

GL550 / AMG GTS
Benz Ninja fixed everything in just a few moments online.... truly humbling experience! Highly recommend to anyone!
Old 08-09-2022, 02:40 AM
SPONSOR

Received 820 Likes on 635 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Thank you !