Look what I found in the battery compartment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2022, 10:45 AM
EWT

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts
11 ML550, 95 Supra TT, 14 Audi S4
Look what I found in the battery compartment

I recently picked up an 11 ML550 to supplement and eventually replace my GL, although given the new trade in value of $1,800 I recently got in the mail from my local MB dealer it may stick around indefinitely if I don't get tired of moving it around the driveway. Just to remind me that it is an aging German branded car, I've already had a few issues. I knew the CV boot was leaking prior to purchase, and replaced that. After purchase, I started getting ABS/ESB malfunction warnings, which was fixed with a new speed sensor and a cleaning of the magnetic ring on the bearing. The latest issue was the occasional failure of Keyless Go, and a bunch of random electronic module errors. From forum research, it looked like battery condition is often a cause of those errors. Since the battery on my GL is only about 2 years old and shows 12.5V at rest vs. 12.2V for the one in the ML that had a 2019 date code, I decided to trade batteries, which doubly refreshed my memory of how much fun removing a big heavy battery in limited space can be. When I had them both out, I noticed that MB apparently noticed at some point during the 164 run that they were replacing quite a few front SAMs due to water damage and added a cover to the top of the SAM to deflect any moisture. It also looks like the rear SAM is under the rear seat (but elevated above the floor) rather than in the rear quarter near the often leaking taillights and roof rack although maybe it was always there in the ML?

2008 GL:

2011 ML:

The following users liked this post:
StradaRedlands (12-10-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 593 Likes on 499 Posts
2007 GL450
Originally Posted by EWT
how much fun removing a big heavy battery in limited space can be
When I last put the main battery in, I did so with a loop of nylon strap (webbing) going under and over the top. That way it can be lifted out relatively easily.
BlackML550 (12-01-2022)
Old 11-30-2022, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 593 Likes on 499 Posts
2007 GL450
Originally Posted by EWT
I recently picked up an 11 ML550 to supplement and eventually replace my GL, although given the new trade in value of $1,800 I recently got in the mail from my local MB dealer it may stick around indefinitely if I don't get tired of moving it around the driveway. Just to remind me that it is an aging German branded car, I've already had a few issues. I knew the CV boot was leaking prior to purchase, and replaced that. After purchase, I started getting ABS/ESB malfunction warnings, which was fixed with a new speed sensor and a cleaning of the magnetic ring on the bearing. The latest issue was the occasional failure of Keyless Go, and a bunch of random electronic module errors. From forum research, it looked like battery condition is often a cause of those errors. Since the battery on my GL is only about 2 years old and shows 12.5V at rest vs. 12.2V for the one in the ML that had a 2019 date code, I decided to trade batteries, which doubly refreshed my memory of how much fun removing a big heavy battery in limited space can be. When I had them both out, I noticed that MB apparently noticed at some point during the 164 run that they were replacing quite a few front SAMs due to water damage and added a cover to the top of the SAM to deflect any moisture. It also looks like the rear SAM is under the rear seat (but elevated above the floor) rather than in the rear quarter near the often leaking taillights and roof rack although maybe it was always there in the ML?
Wait, the front SAM is in the battery well ?!?

I have questions.

Suppose the owner puts in a wet cell battery, which exudes sulfuric acid fumes?!?

[facepalm emoji]

What is in the similar well under the driver's seat?
Old 11-30-2022, 12:28 PM

Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts
2006 R500
Originally Posted by eric_in_sd

I have questions.

Suppose the owner puts in a wet cell battery, which exudes sulfuric acid fumes?!?

[facepalm emoji]

What is in the similar well under the driver's seat?
You're supposed to put in a battery with an attachment for external venting. I believe all H8 batteries, including wet cell, have this.

Edit: not sure about the 164s, but under my 251 driver seat is the amp/audio control center with a huge amount of empty space. I'm debating ripping it out, putting in 1 or 2 aftermarket amps, and a 10 or 12" sub. I think I could get away with a 15" sub too, there is a lot of room there.

Last edited by Tsumi; 11-30-2022 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-30-2022, 01:15 PM
EWT

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts
11 ML550, 95 Supra TT, 14 Audi S4
Originally Posted by eric_in_sd
And with multiple cable connections on the top of the SAM to provide plenty of openings for moisture to get in if any spills/leaks occur under the seat since it is in a well that is not even remotely sealed at the top. It isn't a great design. I started getting weird electrical problems (couple of lights that wouldn't turn off) after a water bottle rolled under the seat and leaked. Fortunately, mine was fixable after removing it from the vehicle, pulling the cover and spending some quality time scrubbing at corrosion on the circuit board with a toothbrush and contact cleaner.
eric_in_sd (11-30-2022)