GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Homelink Range

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2023, 01:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
‘15 S550, ‘07 GL450, ‘99 Jeep Grnd Chrk Ltd (“Baby”)
Unhappy Homelink Range

Homelink range suddenly reduced. Previously effective 150 ft range. Now operates in garage but will not open garage door when on apron with garage door closed. No changes made garage door opener. Homelink lights and flashes yellow then transitions to solid yellow. Garage door does not open. Seems to happen when vehicle has been driven and warm. Local outside temp 40 deg F. Any ideas?
Old 01-16-2023, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 612 Likes on 519 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Originally Posted by pfishwacker
Homelink range suddenly reduced. Previously effective 150 ft range. Now operates in garage but will not open garage door when on apron with garage door closed. No changes made garage door opener. Homelink lights and flashes yellow then transitions to solid yellow. Garage door does not open. Seems to happen when vehicle has been driven and warm. Local outside temp 40 deg F. Any ideas?
New windshield?
Old 01-16-2023, 05:05 PM

No, nothing new. It just stopped working a few weeks ago from any distance with the garage door closed, car running or off. Used to work from 150 ft. It does work inside the garage with the garage door open or closed. If the Homelink in my 2007 GL450 were battery operated I'd assume weak batteries. It's not the garage door opener as the Homelink works when the car is in the garage and when the vehicle is on the apron when I close the garage door. I suspect a weak transmission from the Homelink but have no way to prove it. Since the antenna is embedded in the rear view mirror I discount that as a problem. Stumped!
Old 01-17-2023, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Any new RF jammers in your neighborhood?

Describe your environment, please. Rural? Urban?

loooots of probable causes here to eliminate before going to troubleshooting your car.
Old 01-17-2023, 08:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 593 Likes on 499 Posts
2007 GL450
Originally Posted by Max Blast
Any new RF jammers in your neighborhood?

Describe your environment, please. Rural? Urban?

loooots of probable causes here to eliminate before going to troubleshooting your car.
Poor guy is probably going to figure out he has fallen under surveillance.
Old 01-17-2023, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Haha yeah, it usually isn’t that onerous.

It’s usually a new radiated frequency emitter being installed by an unsuspecting neighbor or the op themselves, without full understanding of how cluttered the rf spectrum is in the range that these garage door systems operate (288-433Mhz). What else is there here you say?

https://transition.fcc.gov/Bureaus/O...pwp38chart.pdf

have some light reading. It could be a neighbor’s gate or door interfering in his frequency, effectively jamming the signal so that op has to get to within burn-through range for his signal to be effective. Again, lots of things operate in that spectrum.
Old 01-17-2023, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by eric_in_sd
Poor guy is probably going to figure out he has fallen under surveillance.
Surveillance is passive, silly.
Old 01-17-2023, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 593 Likes on 499 Posts
2007 GL450
Originally Posted by Max Blast
Surveillance is passive, silly.
That's just what they want you to think.
Old 01-17-2023, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by eric_in_sd
That's just what they want you to think.
Well if it’s done right you wouldn’t have triggers like cell phone service and garage door openers all of the sudden acting weird. These must be amateurs.

or someone in the neighborhood’s garage door opener is stuck in transmit or learn mode, drowning out his signal.

OP, have you tried to re-learn/re-sync the signal?

Last edited by Max Blast; 01-17-2023 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-08-2023, 12:54 PM

Tried the re-learn on original "button" and 2 other buttons. No other interference (no neighbors within range) and no new construction locally. HOWEVER, I did find an interesting situation. I have a handicap mirror hang-tag and recently it renewed (every 4 years). Along with the renewal date sticker came a new mirror hang-tag, which looked just like the old one. Since the Homelink worked in the garage with the new tag in pace, I assumed the problem when outside the closed garage was transmission range. After trying all the above solutions, in desperation I tried repositioning the hang-tag away from the front of the mirror, and the Homelink worked outside the closed garage. If this continues to work I assume the new tag has some metallic component in the plastic acting acted as a Faraday cage. If this doesn't hold true I will be back to update. In any event, Thanks to all for your great suggestions!
Old 02-08-2023, 03:52 PM

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts
GLK350
Originally Posted by pfishwacker
No, nothing new. It just stopped working a few weeks ago from any distance with the garage door closed, car running or off. Used to work from 150 ft. It does work inside the garage with the garage door open or closed. If the Homelink in my 2007 GL450 were battery operated I'd assume weak batteries. It's not the garage door opener as the Homelink works when the car is in the garage and when the vehicle is on the apron when I close the garage door. I suspect a weak transmission from the Homelink but have no way to prove it. Since the antenna is embedded in the rear view mirror I discount that as a problem. Stumped!
Test the distance using the garage door remote that came with the garage door opener and see if that makes a difference.