GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Parktronic inoperable (red light and long beep)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2023 | 03:50 PM

08 GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by DLB_Adelaide
Pic7: unknown wax-like substance
That wax just looks like the actual wax used in the factory to seal the metal parts from corrosion.

Its pretty annoying to weld new panels on a vehicle when this wax keeps melting and dripping everywhere (I used to be in Autobody repairs years ago)
Old 10-14-2023 | 08:05 PM

GL320 X164 OM642 722.902
Originally Posted by M@rk
DLB_Adelaide - did you ever resolve your Parktronic issue? I am having what seems to be exactly the same issue on my 2008 ML320. No obvious shorts where I've seen the rear sensor wiring so far (I deleted the sensor connector in the boot fairly early on to rule out corroded pins).

Cheers!
Hello Mark

I never got back to it. But it does bother me that my PTS is now intermittent. I will post a video soon. I might have moved one small step towards fixing the PTS rear.

I might follow the actions in the other forums. Take everything apart and clean each sensor.
benzworld forum

Last edited by DLB_Adelaide; 10-14-2023 at 09:28 PM.
Old 10-14-2023 | 09:39 PM

GL320 X164 OM642 722.902
Hello Mark

I never got back to it. But it does bother me that my PTS is now intermittent. I will post a video soon. I might have moved one small step towards fixing the PTS rear.

I might follow the actions in the other forums. Take everything apart and clean each sensor.
benzworld forum
As promised, I will now be posting a video of my experiment.

Test subject at point blank

Link to video on my google drive. Caution, file is 188mb

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1luK...w?usp=drivesdk
Old 10-18-2023 | 03:50 PM

C220, ML320
Fixed!

Hello Mark

benzworld forum
Update - I had a bit of time to investigate mine last weekend and found a faulty rear sensor (used an iCarsoft MB V3.0 to check sensor readings and one was always showing 255cm regardless of distance). Swapped it for a genuine second hand one and the system is now working flawlessly. I haven't checked if the sensor voltage is still only present when braking since getting the system working but it seems that is probably normal and certainly wasn't the cause of the issue on mine. Hope this information is helpful to you and anyone else having the same red lights and beep issue!
Old 10-18-2023 | 10:25 PM

GL320 X164 OM642 722.902
Originally Posted by M@rk
Update - I had a bit of time to investigate mine last weekend and found a faulty rear sensor (used an iCarsoft MB V3.0 to check sensor readings and one was always showing 255cm regardless of distance). Swapped it for a genuine second hand one and the system is now working flawlessly. I haven't checked if the sensor voltage is still only present when braking since getting the system working but it seems that is probably normal and certainly wasn't the cause of the issue on mine. Hope this information is helpful to you and anyone else having the same red lights and beep issue!
Good that you have fixed your problem. There is a high possibility that mine are individual sensors faults also. But I am not willing to purchase new sensors at this stage of inflation. The reverse camera is still there and it ismanageable.