GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

2010 GL350 Airmatic issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2023, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gl350
2010 GL350 Airmatic issues

I received a "maIfunction ^" message on my display out of nowhere. The front is low and the back is high. There is no SWOOSH sound when exiting the vehicle. since the malfunction message came on. I removed the panel under the passenger side wheel and exposed the airmatic compressor and valve block. The hose from the filter (the filter was filthy and installed in the wrong direction prior to my ownership) was severed less then 1/4" from the clamp that secured it to the compressor. I know it needs a new filter. I cut the damaged hose and secured it to the compressor. When I started the car, there was no difference in suspension. Upon startup again, I observed air coming forcefully from the bottom of the compressor. Even HVAC tape wasn't strong enough to seal it completely. I know I need a new compressor, as there is a hole in it. My question is, is there a hole in the compressor, because the valve block is clogged? Does it make sense that shortly after the hose from the filter detached that the compressor sucked in too much particulate matter for the valve block to handle, which led to backflow and a hole busting out of the compressor? Is it worth it t ojust change the compressor and see how it goes, or should I change the valve block as a matter of procedure anyway?
Old 05-25-2023, 07:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 612 Likes on 519 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Do not start throwing parts at this. Recommend you read up on the airmatic posts that have been placed on this forum. Your compressor is likely shot, but what’s more likely is that you have a leak in your front air springs. So you need to go find and verify that you have a leak and replace the front air springs if so, then shortly there after replace the rear air springs.
Old 05-25-2023, 07:43 AM

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts
2007 GL450
I would replace both, if they've not been replaced.
Old 05-25-2023, 09:01 AM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
You know the compressor is bad, so start there.

To mitigate damaging other components and prevent contaminants from making their way to the valve block, avoid driving the vehicle until the compressor is replaced.
Old 05-25-2023, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 593 Likes on 499 Posts
2007 GL450
My esteemed colleagues on this forum - solid advice. OP, listen well to what they have told you.
Old 05-28-2023, 12:41 PM

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts
GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by amissere
I received a "maIfunction ^" message on my display out of nowhere. The front is low and the back is high. There is no SWOOSH sound when exiting the vehicle. since the malfunction message came on.
FWIW, that "swoosh" sound might actually be a malfunction in the compressor air intake filter host. I had that pronounced noise for a long time, but had recently discovered that the air intake hose was fractured in several places. $160 part from Mercedes or $40 for a 3' hose + tiny filter. While you are replacing the compressor, inspect that hose as well.
Old 05-28-2023, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 593 Likes on 499 Posts
2007 GL450
Originally Posted by Diamond Dave
FWIW, that "swoosh" sound might actually be a malfunction in the compressor air intake filter host. I had that pronounced noise for a long time, but had recently discovered that the air intake hose was fractured in several places. $160 part from Mercedes or $40 for a 3' hose + tiny filter. While you are replacing the compressor, inspect that hose as well.
One point: Install the filter "backwards" from what your intuition would tell you. The air flows in to the compressor slowly, and is released out rapidly.

I cannot think of a good reason a two dollar fuel filter would not do just fine keeping particulates out of the pump.