GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Back-Up Camera Turns Off Too Quickly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2023 | 01:43 PM

Mercedes gl450
Back-Up Camera Turns Off Too Quickly

I don't know if this is the normal setting, but the moment I shift out of reverse, the back-up camera screen disappears. Is there a way to delay that? In my Audi S5, the camera stays on-screen for a couple of seconds after switching out of reverse. This is very helpful when having to wiggle into a parallel parking spot. Especially since there is a delay in the back-up camera screen showing when switching into reverse.
Old 05-23-2023 | 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Now just one GL450 with EORP.
You’ll have to pay someone with MB Star to dig into the chassis module in developer mode to see if that is even a setting that you can adjust.
Old 05-24-2023 | 09:05 AM

GL320 X164 OM642 722.902
Originally Posted by Elbeau
I don't know if this is the normal setting, but the moment I shift out of reverse, the back-up camera screen disappears. Is there a way to delay that? In my Audi S5, the camera stays on-screen for a couple of seconds after switching out of reverse. This is very helpful when having to wiggle into a parallel parking spot. Especially since there is a delay in the back-up camera screen showing when switching into reverse.
Please do not translate the next paragraph literally. I am jealous of how good your x164 is.

Some of us here working out why parktronic or reverse camera inoperable. Yet here you are suggesting a modification to an archaic system. No pun intended. I envy how you have a good problem to solve which can be addressed by driving behaviour.

Please take MAX BLAST's advise since the ECU will require parameter changes; caveat, if available.
Old 05-24-2023 | 11:57 AM

Mercedes gl450
Originally Posted by DLB_Adelaide
Please do not translate the next paragraph literally. I am jealous of how good your x164 is.

Some of us here working out why parktronic or reverse camera inoperable. Yet here you are suggesting a modification to an archaic system. No pun intended. I envy how you have a good problem to solve which can be addressed by driving behaviour.

Please take MAX BLAST's advise since the ECU will require parameter changes; caveat, if available.
I wasn't aware that the forum was limited only to problems you consider major. Yes, I can "remedy" the problem by waiting until the camera activates. I can also "remedy" the lack of mirrors by turning around and looking. Not to mention that I recently spent a considerable amount of money fixing other issues on the vehicle which may meet your threshold of importance(alternator, brake pads, air tubes and other things).
Old 05-24-2023 | 08:19 PM

GL320 X164 OM642 722.902
I wasn't aware that the forum was limited only to problems you consider major. Yes, I can "remedy" the problem by waiting until the camera activates. I can also "remedy" the lack of mirrors by turning around and looking. Not to mention that I recently spent a considerable amount of money fixing other issues on the vehicle which may meet your threshold of importance(alternator, brake pads, air tubes and other things).
Apologies. My response wasn't understood as intended. I do agree on your comments by the way. Mirror is not fit for purpose for such a large vehicle. Reverse camera was probably "latest technology" back in 2007 but is outdated in todays standard.

I bury all the trivial problems and focus my weekend energy for vehicle breakdown prevention.
Old 05-24-2023 | 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Yeah, I mean, how dare you be critical of a 15 year old $5000 car…Psshhh.😄
Old 05-25-2023 | 03:54 AM

Mercedes gl450
Originally Posted by Max Blast
Yeah, I mean, how dare you be critical of a 15 year old $5000 car…Psshhh.😄
Yeah. Didn't realize this is a forum where people with beat up, worthless vehicles come to ridicule others with similar vehichles. Guess I'll have to go elsewhere for some useful information.
Old 05-25-2023 | 04:34 AM

GL320 X164 OM642 722.902
Yep, he took my comment literally and absorbed its entirety. I guess some just can't take sarcasm. Hopefully we start turn a new page and start off on a clean slate. I will refrain giving sarcasm next time.

MAX BLAST gave some useful suggestions. I don't l know what else we can help you with.
Old 05-26-2023 | 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 GL 320 CDI
Yeah. Didn't realize this is a forum where people with beat up, worthless vehicles come to ridicule others with similar vehichles. Guess I'll have to go elsewhere for some useful information.
You definitely read WAY too much into his post. I read his post, just like you did, and it came across in a fun, light-hearted way. He even started by saying "Please don't take this literally". He was agreeing with you that it's a problem - but also that it's a nice problem to have as there are often much more serious ones we deal with.

Lighten up, Francis.

And... if you don't get that reference... shame on you

Last edited by DennisG01; 05-26-2023 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-26-2023 | 10:26 AM

Mercedes gl450
Originally Posted by DennisG01
You definitely read WAY too much into his post. I read his post, just like you did, and it came across in a fun, light-hearted way. He even started by saying "Please don't take this literally". He was agreeing with you that it's a problem - but also that it's a nice problem to have as there are often much more serious ones we deal with.

Lighten up, Francis.

And... if you don't get that reference... shame on you
I assume you mean "Lighten up, Elbeau." Anyway, yes I suppose Francis's way of looking at is much more pleasant. But that's easier to do when you aren't the target and aren't trying to find a solution to a problem (even if it doesn't happen to be as important as trying to find my son's murderer).
Old 05-28-2023 | 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
Guess I'll have to go elsewhere for some useful information.
Please do.