GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

LED Back-up Bulb P21W

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-30-2023, 07:56 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Mercedes gl450
LED Back-up Bulb P21W

Can anyone recommend a specific good LED replacement bulb for the reverse/back-up light for a 2011 GL450?
More than just a brand name would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 05-31-2023, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 599 Likes on 507 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Read other current threads about LED lamps on this board… The GL and it’s Sams does not like most LED lights.
Old 05-31-2023, 07:49 PM

Mercedes gl450
Originally Posted by Max Blast
Read other current threads about LED lamps on this board… The GL and it’s Sams does not like most LED lights.
Thanks. I've experienced about 50/50 success with LEDs. Oddly, or maybe not, it's the lower power bulbs that give me the problems.
Old 06-02-2023, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 593 Likes on 499 Posts
2007 GL450
I soldered in a power resistor in parallel, and am happy with my LED backup lights. I think I put in Philips.

It's just not really practical to look for LED bulbs that consume enough power to fool the CAN bus. That basically ensures all the extra power is going into the bulb, adding to the heat problem.
Old 06-05-2023, 11:15 PM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
2010 GL550 | 2020 S560
I bought true Phillips reverse LED lights in 2017 and have never had an error message on the HUD
Old 06-06-2023, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
Originally Posted by Yup497
I bought true Phillips reverse LED lights in 2017 and have never had an error message on the HUD
I wonder if the resistors are even necessary, then.

I bought a wire wound potentiometer to find out exactly what current levels are needed for the system to throw an error. If I find out the resistor is not needed for the backup lights, I'll comment..
Old 06-06-2023, 11:07 AM

Mercedes gl450
Originally Posted by eric_in_sd
I wonder if the resistors are even necessary, then.

I bought a wire wound potentiometer to find out exactly what current levels are needed for the system to throw an error. If I find out the resistor is not needed for the backup lights, I'll comment..
I'm looking forward to what you find. I have had some LEDs work without issue, some not work at all, some hyperflash and some go on and off intermittently. Sometimes they throw a code and sometimes they don't. And, interestingly, the alleged quality of the bulbs doesn't seem to play into it. I've had perfect experiences with run of the mill bulbs bought from Amazon and premium, pricy bulbs. I will admit to a certain level of snob appeal affecting purchases, but $200+ versus $60 when I experience little, if any, different results? Nah.
Old 06-07-2023, 11:28 AM

Mercedes gl450
I just installed these and they work perfectly. Bright, no error message, no coding

Lasfit 1156 7506 P21W LED Reverse Backup Lights Bulbs Bright White
Old 06-08-2023, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
Originally Posted by Elbeau
I just installed these and they work perfectly. Bright, no error message, no coding

Lasfit 1156 7506 P21W LED Reverse Backup Lights Bulbs Bright White
Curiously, the seller warns "For some models of BMW, Audi and Mercedes Benz, these bulbs might have error code or flickering after installing on reverse lights position"
Old 06-08-2023, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
Originally Posted by Elbeau
I'm looking forward to what you find. I have had some LEDs work without issue, some not work at all, some hyperflash and some go on and off intermittently. Sometimes they throw a code and sometimes they don't. And, interestingly, the alleged quality of the bulbs doesn't seem to play into it. I've had perfect experiences with run of the mill bulbs bought from Amazon and premium, pricy bulbs. I will admit to a certain level of snob appeal affecting purchases, but $200+ versus $60 when I experience little, if any, different results? Nah.
lol welcome to my world. I was the first guy on here to say, hey, LED H7 bulbs can work, and the snob appeal guys inundated me with "u have a MERCEDES, put in REAL BULBS". itsallsotiresome.jpg

I came to enjoy the GL much more when I adopted the attitude Homer Simpson has towards his brain: "You don't like me, and I don't like you, so let's just get on with it." The GL has its good points, but there is no magic dust in it, and the sooner you accept it is just an automobile - a truck - and gain the courage to fiddle with it, the happier you will be. It is not the transfigured Jesus and you do not need to fall on your face when approaching it. It's just a machine, with good points and bad.

Yeah, you're inspiring me to pull out that wirewound pot and do some tests. I should just unhook the bulbs and test with the wirewound, to see what current each circuit needs. Note however this could easily vary from year to year; it's a software value. Yours might have a different spec.

I was surprised to learn that the front bulbs only needed a 100 Ohm resistor, when my calculations of LED current draw indicated 10 Ohm was needed. This found out only because I ordered the wrong resistors by mistake!
Old 06-08-2023, 01:03 PM

Mercedes gl450
I hear you! Of course, most manufacturers thrive on the idea that "only our parts are good enough for our cars or your car" and, while there is definitely merit to the concept of "you get what you pay for," there are limits, too. And, while there are times I feel it's better to go with the premium items, I also recognize the cost/benefit analysis doesn't always warrant it. I completely understand those who always go for the best in what they put in their cars. It does provide a level of confidence and pride. I just don't value the attitude of "if it's not the "best" don't bother." It is unhelpful when seeking a legitimate answer. To paraphrase a joke from Jeff Foxworthy, sometimes it's like buying a 747 for the peanuts.
Old 06-08-2023, 01:31 PM

Mercedes gl450
Originally Posted by eric_in_sd
Curiously, the seller warns "For some models of BMW, Audi and Mercedes Benz, these bulbs might have error code or flickering after installing on reverse lights position"
Yes. Many contain that warning due to the CANBUS. Mine had no issues. But, according to my mechanic, you can't rely on general information such as the year, make and model since results seem to vary within those parameters. And that goes for the premium bulbs as well as more mainstream ones. Apparently, it comes down to "try it and see."