GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Middle row seats stuck

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2024, 05:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R Class 320 CDI
Middle row seats stuck

Hi guys. I have just bought my wife a 2007 GL320 and loving it!
But, the middle row of seats are stuck solid. I think the previous owners never put them down and the car was also sat for a bit.
The right side handle has snapped off, possibly because with the seats being stuck someone has forced it! The left handle is intact but hardly budges.
Does anyone know how to get the handle and side trims off so I can spray some oil in the mechanism to try and free it off?
Also the centre seatbelt is a bit stiff and sometimes locks when hardly pulled so I'm guessing again, due to little useage the mechanism needs freeing off. Does anyone know how I can access the reel? I'm guessing the rear seat panels may come off but cannot see anything obvious.

Thanks
​​​
Old 02-10-2024, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 616 Likes on 523 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
A pair of vice grips snapped on to what's left of the tilt handle will act as a handle. There's nothing in the handle area that acts as a lock so taking off side covers doesn't do much.
Pulling on the red strap in the third row footwell area should also dislodge the mechanism.

Once you get it open, get some kriol or penetrant int here to loosen the gallon of latte/soda/juice coating the mechanism.
The following users liked this post:
eric_in_sd (02-10-2024)