GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

New Member First Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2024, 04:59 PM

Received 88 Likes on 77 Posts
1998 SL500,2011 GL550,2009 ML350,past 1995 E320 Cabrio ,2005 ML500,2006 ML500,1996 SL500,1972 280SEL
leaks

Originally Posted by OCJoeR
Hey Vesiadog,

Thanks for the encouragement. As a full time Old Guy and owner of several H.A.R.D. tee shirts (Half *** Retired Dude) I know what you mean about waking up on the wrong side of the bed. I was out looking at the lift gate this morning and it looks like one of the plastic trim panels on the inside of the gate will come off with a panel removal tool so I'll start there. I've been looking for YouTube videos or other sources but the only ones I can find start with the brake light lens already removed. My main reason for asking in the forum was not to damage something that might cost $$$ to replace if broken. I have a pretty good idea what parts cost for this car and didn't want to start by tearing up something that was going to cost an arm and a leg to replace. I thought someone would be able to guide me to a video that I missed or some web site where the removal was described. I'll see if I can pop this trim panel off later today and go from there.

I went through the service binder and it does have the record of what looks like every time the car was into the dealership for service. Looks like the suspension air bags were all replaced within the last 18 months/20K miles. The car was into the dealership about 500 miles from when I bought it. I'm getting the sound of a pump going on every so often which I'm guessing is the air suspension. I'm not seeing any change in the car height when it's parked for a few days so I'm wondering if the pump goes off every so often as a normal thing or if there could be a slow leak in either a connection or a line, or one of the bags. The bags are Arnott and according to the paperwork have a lifetime warranty. I'm going to see if I can spray some leak detection fluid on the bags and connections to see what I get. Any suggestions on that?

Joe
With Arnotts start at the very top of the assembly .. open the hood and where the line goes in you will see a circle type clip … spray the line and fitting than spray the circle clip.. I personally will only use complete Bilstein assemblies… I rebuilt a couple using Arnott bags and 1 set went well and the other liked to leak around the clip… after a couple of pry bar/hammer wacks on the clip it finally seated properly… of course you can only test it once it is fully assembled and installed.
Also the valve blocks as they get older and have so many fittings will leak BUT you pretty much have to remove the inner fender well to get to them … not a real big job but can be a PITA.
If you have any questions don’t be afraid to send me a message also good luck Bill