New Member First Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2024, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 GL 450
New Member First Questions

Hi Everyone,

I just sold my '06 Expedition King Ranch and bought an '09 GL 450, which, except for one or 2 minor cosmetic issues seems to be an extremely well taken care of vehicle. The prior owner had a 3 ring binder full of every service record for the car since it was new and it's always been serviced at the local Mercedes dealership. The interior of the car is like new. I don't think anyone has ever sat in the passenger or rear seats.

But since I'm a nit picker I want to address the couple minor issues.

The rear "spoiler"? at the top of the lift gate window that holds the 3rd brake light has a dent in it from what she told me was the garage door hitting it. I can do the repair to the part I just can't figure out how to access the inside in order to get a dolly in there. I don't see any attachment hardware inside the window. The dent is right where the brake light lens is located so if I can get that off I believe I could fix the dent. Anyone out there able to tell me how to get either the spoiler or lens off. I don't want to just start prying around with a screw driver or panel removal tool and brake something that is going to cost me $1,000 to replace. I've attached a photo of the dent.

The second item is a worn out area of the material covering the B pillar right where the seat belt hangs. I'm guessing the seat belt rubbing on the area caused the material to wear out. Does anyone know if this piece can be purchased or if the material can be purchased.

Thanks for any help,
Joe

Old 06-24-2024, 12:39 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Mercedes gl450
Check this out: https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2...er_brake_light

As for the worn fabric, there are a number of fabric patch kits available on Amazon & elsewhere. I used one for leather, which worked well. But, I can't comment of ones for fabric. They come with assorted color tubes and mixing charts.
Old 06-24-2024, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 595 Likes on 504 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
Welcome, and don’t worry about any of that stuff!
I am more of a big picture DIYer and don’t care much for cosmetics, so my recommendation to you is this:

In that three ring binder, go back and find
-the last time any of the air suspension / air springs were replaced
-the last time the transmission was serviced
-the last time the power steering reservoir was replaced
-battery replaced?

from experience, air suspension will last about 3-5 yrs and 40-60,000 miles, brand and usage depending. Transmission requires a service every 40,000. Power steering reservoir will usually crack, or leak every 6-8 yrs and take the system along with it. MB branded batteries have been known to last 10 years but aftermarket ones last barely out of warranty. Even shorter if they’re submerged in water, so check for any evidence of water in the trunk or battery compartment. Once those things are sorted you will have a reliable vehicle that rides in comfort unlike any other 00’s car.

good luck and report back!

Last edited by Max Blast; 06-24-2024 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-24-2024, 05:53 PM

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts
1998 SL500,2011 GL550,2009 ML350,past 1995 E320 Cabrio ,2005 ML500,2006 ML500,1996 SL500,1972 280SEL
A few more items to check

Max gave you a decent list to start with.
I would also look the complete front end over… upper and lower ball joints, inner & outer tie rod ends… look over all CV boots… and stay on top of the transmission with the next fluid change drop the valve body and inspect all shift solenoids… you can search my name for more info on the valve body info. Check your binder for spark plug replacement also.
Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Old 06-25-2024, 11:12 AM

Mercedes gl450
Not saying any of that isn't bad advice, but giving a guy a list of scary things that *might* go wrong - especially when the solution is to spend a bunch of money just in case - and dismiss the actual question as unimportant is not helpful.

I don't like the fact that the rearview camera shuts off the instant the trans is taken out of reverse. So, I came to this forum to ask if there is a way to program a delay. While no one answered, I was inundated with responses telling me things like I shouldn't be so picky, or be glad I don't have bigger issues (I did and I fixed them).

I mean the primary reason people come to these forums (at least at first) is to get advice on how to solve a problem or perform certain maintenance. Sure, a transmission fault is more important than a sticky light switch panel. That doesn't mean seeking advice on how to get rid of the stickiness warrants dismissiveness, or even ridicule.

I've gotten a lot of good advice from this forum, but also some unnecessary snark.
Old 06-25-2024, 12:22 PM

2009 GL 450
Hi All,

Thanks for all the help.

Max, both batteries are new. The suspension bags were replaced withing the last year with Arnott, which, according to the paperwork, have lifetime warranties. Now I realize that means labor isn't covered but I've been working in the industry long enough to do the job myself if I have to. The copy I have of the transmission work is too light and I can't read the date so I'm going to call the dealership. Given that she took it there for everything I'm guessing they'll have the info.

Dog, I hadn't thought about looking for front end service but I'll go back and check the service records for that later today. I'll ask the dealership service dept. about the trans. service when I call them. I'll see if they pulled the valve body. If it looks like it's due for fluid change I'm going to call the last shop I worked for and see if he'll let me use the lift to get all that done. It would make life a lot easier than playing around in the garage with floor jacks, jack stands and a creeper.

Elbeau, I know exactly what you mean. I still don't know how to pull that part off the window, but I suppose I'll just go in with some panel tools and feel around the lens for the tabs that hold it in. It shouldn't be too difficult, just thought someone would be able to tell me where they are or have a photo. At least on this forum members answered. I posted the same questions on another forum and it's been crickets. Oh well.

Joe
Old 06-25-2024, 02:48 PM

1998 SL500,2011 GL550,2009 ML350,past 1995 E320 Cabrio ,2005 ML500,2006 ML500,1996 SL500,1972 280SEL
answers

Originally Posted by OCJoeR
Hi All,

Thanks for all the help.

Max, both batteries are new. The suspension bags were replaced withing the last year with Arnott, which, according to the paperwork, have lifetime warranties. Now I realize that means labor isn't covered but I've been working in the industry long enough to do the job myself if I have to. The copy I have of the transmission work is too light and I can't read the date so I'm going to call the dealership. Given that she took it there for everything I'm guessing they'll have the info.

Dog, I hadn't thought about looking for front end service but I'll go back and check the service records for that later today. I'll ask the dealership service dept. about the trans. service when I call them. I'll see if they pulled the valve body. If it looks like it's due for fluid change I'm going to call the last shop I worked for and see if he'll let me use the lift to get all that done. It would make life a lot easier than playing around in the garage with floor jacks, jack stands and a creeper.

Elbeau, I know exactly what you mean. I still don't know how to pull that part off the window, but I suppose I'll just go in with some panel tools and feel around the lens for the tabs that hold it in. It shouldn't be too difficult, just thought someone would be able to tell me where they are or have a photo. At least on this forum members answered. I posted the same questions on another forum and it's been crickets. Oh well.

Joe
I will do my best to share lots of experiences and keep the BS down to a minimum . Nothing ticks me off more when you are searching for info and have to wade thru the bs to get get help or share help.
I think what most of us are saying is to not waste to much money and time right now until you get the suv up to mechanically perfect .
Also I forgot to mention you really should by an OBDII analyzer for troubleshooting . I keep an ICarSoft in the vehicles and also have 2 different MB Star systems(1 will be for sale soon). This is another area of learning that you can search on the forum. Nothing like a Star System to test your air suspension and reset transmission shift patterns.
Also Joe let me know if you decide to drop the valve body and need help locating O-rings. I am located in Ohio and keep a set of O-rings on hand also.
Bill in NE OHIO
Oh yea excellent idea on getting a lift to do the work.. I have a 2 pt lift in my building and could not think about starting any project without my lift .. besides I am old and worn out .. laying on the floor is for young guys!!

Last edited by vesiadog; 06-25-2024 at 02:53 PM. Reason: wording
Old 06-25-2024, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 592 Likes on 498 Posts
2007 GL450
Originally Posted by Elbeau
Not saying any of that isn't bad advice, but giving a guy a list of scary things that *might* go wrong - especially when the solution is to spend a bunch of money just in case - and dismiss the actual question as unimportant is not helpful.

I don't like the fact that the rearview camera shuts off the instant the trans is taken out of reverse. So, I came to this forum to ask if there is a way to program a delay. While no one answered, I was inundated with responses telling me things like I shouldn't be so picky, or be glad I don't have bigger issues (I did and I fixed them).

I mean the primary reason people come to these forums (at least at first) is to get advice on how to solve a problem or perform certain maintenance. Sure, a transmission fault is more important than a sticky light switch panel. That doesn't mean seeking advice on how to get rid of the stickiness warrants dismissiveness, or even ridicule.

I've gotten a lot of good advice from this forum, but also some unnecessary snark.
@OCJoeR I did not chime in earlier because I had an overwhelming urge to contribute "unnecessary snark", which I was guilty of when Elbeau first came on board. It's hard to resist when people struggle with fatal, or nearly so, issues on a regular basis and someone comes around with "how to get a grease spot off the upholstery" type questions. Really, it's not mean-spirited; the intent is to spare you the enthusiastic hopes soon to be dashed when you find yourself mired in seemingly intractable problems. It's a bit like the movie Money Pit: You buy your dream house only to find it is anything but. Tom Hanks goes from naive glee to cynic in the first third of the film. You've got some battle-weary folks here, and I think it is an understandable response to asking for help tying a pink bow on the rear view mirror. But I could see how someone's feelings could get hurt, and I beg forgiveness. I've gone through [censored word for the underworld] and seen some things, and am short on patience.

By the way, it took vesiadog a couple of months to go from I-can-fix-anything to advising me to pay someone to haul away my perfectly running GL. We have a betting pool on how long you last.

Kidding, of course. Anyway, if I were you, I would follow the other advice you received and forget about cosmetics for now. Get to work studying the repair and maintenance history of your new baby. Certain systems, such as the air suspension and transmission, practically beg to be neglected, and will cause inordinate suffering if that is the case.
Old 06-25-2024, 06:51 PM

thanks for the smile again

Originally Posted by eric_in_sd
@OCJoeR I did not chime in earlier because I had an overwhelming urge to contribute "unnecessary snark", which I was guilty of when Elbeau first came on board. It's hard to resist when people struggle with fatal, or nearly so, issues on a regular basis and someone comes around with "how to get a grease spot off the upholstery" type questions. Really, it's not mean-spirited; the intent is to spare you the enthusiastic hopes soon to be dashed when you find yourself mired in seemingly intractable problems. It's a bit like the movie Money Pit: You buy your dream house only to find it is anything but. Tom Hanks goes from naive glee to cynic in the first third of the film. You've got some battle-weary folks here, and I think it is an understandable response to asking for help tying a pink bow on the rear view mirror. But I could see how someone's feelings could get hurt, and I beg forgiveness. I've gone through [censored word for the underworld] and seen some things, and am short on patience.

By the way, it took vesiadog a couple of months to go from I-can-fix-anything to advising me to pay someone to haul away my perfectly running GL. We have a betting pool on how long you last.

Kidding, of course. Anyway, if I were you, I would follow the other advice you received and forget about cosmetics for now. Get to work studying the repair and maintenance history of your new baby. Certain systems, such as the air suspension and transmission, practically beg to be neglected, and will cause inordinate suffering if that is the case.
It took me a few months to figure “ you can’t fix everything “ 😂. Just kidding sort of .
We seem to all take turns digging into our experiences of wiring, fuel pumps, air suspension, front ends, stereos ….etc etc So when the please help fix the wear stop… we also take turns thinking REALLY?
Don’t take it to personally and whatever you do don’t label yourself while looking for help. You can get lots of help at the MB dealer just leave your checkbook with them!!!

Last edited by vesiadog; 06-25-2024 at 06:51 PM. Reason: wording
Old 06-25-2024, 08:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 595 Likes on 504 Posts
Now just one GL450 with EORP.
So, with all that sorted, ask to see the VMI next time you take it to the dealer. A friendly service manager might actually print it out for you as a favor - or maybe charge you a fee. The vehicle master inquiry would be the complete maintenance history of everything Mercedes-Benz dealer network has done to it and is a more concise maintenance record than digging through stacks of receipts.

And yes, I am guilty of Snark, but I just wanted to redirect the focus to where we historically have seen new members overlook and then come back a couple months later with nothing but complaints of the vehicle. Whereas a little preventative maintenance on a new purchase would’ve gone a long way and ensuring a pleasurable motoring experience it sounds like you’ve got everything you need for that.

with regards to your two specific questions, I can’t second enough that you purchase a MB compatible scan tool and a subscription to workshop information system. I’m away from mine right now, but there are detailed write ups in WIS on how to take that brake light cover and interior panel off.

Last edited by Max Blast; 06-25-2024 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-26-2024, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
Originally Posted by Max Blast
So, with all that sorted, ask to see the VMI next time you take it to the dealer. A friendly service manager might actually print it out for you as a favor - or maybe charge you a fee. The vehicle master inquiry would be the complete maintenance history of everything Mercedes-Benz dealer network has done to it and is a more concise maintenance record than digging through stacks of receipts.

And yes, I am guilty of Snark, but I just wanted to redirect the focus to where we historically have seen new members overlook and then come back a couple months later with nothing but complaints of the vehicle. Whereas a little preventative maintenance on a new purchase would’ve gone a long way and ensuring a pleasurable motoring experience it sounds like you’ve got everything you need for that.

with regards to your two specific questions, I can’t second enough that you purchase a MB compatible scan tool and a subscription to workshop information system. I’m away from mine right now, but there are detailed write ups in WIS on how to take that brake light cover and interior panel off.
Great point about the VMI. I was unaware such a thing has a name. Good to know.

It does get annoying; there is a backlash when they figure out the Dream House is actually a Money Pit; you can almost smell the elevated blood pressure and heart rate when the disappointed owner starts screaming about how much this thing is costing him and what a piece of junk it is. I don't know about the other guys, but I have stuck it out for 160K miles not because I have no other options but because, as one fellow said, "It grows on you." It drives well and, moreover, ages well. I like driving mine, and I don't like people frothing about what a horrible vehicle it is.

Still, a more mature approach would be to simply tell the enthusiastic newbie, "You have bigger fish to fry."

I second the advice to get access to Workshop Information System (WIS). There are pirated versions available but you have to be a bit of a techie to make them work.
Old 06-26-2024, 10:04 AM

Star System

Great point about the VMI. I was unaware such a thing has a name. Good to know.

It does get annoying; there is a backlash when they figure out the Dream House is actually a Money Pit; you can almost smell the elevated blood pressure and heart rate when the disappointed owner starts screaming about how much this thing is costing him and what a piece of junk it is. I don't know about the other guys, but I have stuck it out for 160K miles not because I have no other options but because, as one fellow said, "It grows on you." It drives well and, moreover, ages well. I like driving mine, and I don't like people frothing about what a horrible vehicle it is.

Still, a more mature approach would be to simply tell the enthusiastic newbie, "You have bigger fish to fry."

I second the advice to get access to Workshop Information System (WIS). There are pirated versions available but you have to be a bit of a techie to make them work.
I am far from an expert on Star but I do have 3 Dell’s running and 2 Multiplexor’s… both of my Multiplexor’s are original NOT clones and my systems work flawless??? I always thought that maybe the chinese clones might be the trouble spot for many.
IMO well worth the effort to be able to get to the pdf files and also test transmissions & Air suspensions .
Old 06-26-2024, 10:50 AM

2009 GL 450
Originally Posted by vesiadog
I will do my best to share lots of experiences and keep the BS down to a minimum . Nothing ticks me off more when you are searching for info and have to wade thru the bs to get get help or share help.
I think what most of us are saying is to not waste to much money and time right now until you get the suv up to mechanically perfect .
Also I forgot to mention you really should by an OBDII analyzer for troubleshooting . I keep an ICarSoft in the vehicles and also have 2 different MB Star systems(1 will be for sale soon). This is another area of learning that you can search on the forum. Nothing like a Star System to test your air suspension and reset transmission shift patterns.
Also Joe let me know if you decide to drop the valve body and need help locating O-rings. I am located in Ohio and keep a set of O-rings on hand also.
Bill in NE OHIO
Oh yea excellent idea on getting a lift to do the work.. I have a 2 pt lift in my building and could not think about starting any project without my lift .. besides I am old and worn out .. laying on the floor is for young guys!!
Hey Bill,

Thank you for the info. I have an OBDII in the garage for just such things. It's been a busy couple weeks, my wife's oldest daughter just had a baby so between Mama running back and forth to her house and both of us babysitting the 1 year old twins and their 4 year old sister, it's been crazy here. I was able to give all the documents a first review but if I get a brake later this week I'm going to go through them in detail to check on those other items mentioned by others. Given the overall condition of the car and the meticulous records I'm guessing that she was one of those people who brought the car back to the dealer any time she heard a noise or felt something not right.

Joe
Old 06-26-2024, 10:56 AM

2009 GL 450
Hi Eric,

Thanks for the info regarding the VMI. Once I get through the 3 ring binder again I plan on calling the dealership she used and make an appointment. I'll check to see if they can provide that to me. As I said above, it's been a hectic couple weeks. :-)

The main reason I posted the questions regarding the "cosmetic" items was because those were the only things that I could easily see on the car that were in any kind of disrepair.

Joe
Old 06-26-2024, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
Hi Eric,

Thanks for the info regarding the VMI. Once I get through the 3 ring binder again I plan on calling the dealership she used and make an appointment. I'll check to see if they can provide that to me. As I said above, it's been a hectic couple weeks. :-)

The main reason I posted the questions regarding the "cosmetic" items was because those were the only things that I could easily see on the car that were in any kind of disrepair.

Joe
Actually, that was @Max Blast

It's normal to be enthusiastic. When you go to the dealership to sweet talk them into giving you the VMI, share with them your enthusiasm for making your baby even more precious than it already is. Hearing the future cha-chings of their cash register, they might be more inclined to indulge your request.
Old 06-27-2024, 10:34 AM

Mercedes gl450

"asking for help tying a pink bow on the rear view mirror." See. that's the issue right there. Not every problem is major and that doesn't warrant the sarcasm. Yes, someone in an office asking where the pencil sharpener is is not as big a deal as someone's frozen computer. But that's no reason to tell the pencil guy to live with his dull pencil. I don't recall reading anywhere in the forum rules to only ask about things the experts consider significant.
Old 06-27-2024, 11:22 AM

snarkism

"asking for help tying a pink bow on the rear view mirror." See. that's the issue right there. Not every problem is major and that doesn't warrant the sarcasm. Yes, someone in an office asking where the pencil sharpener is is not as big a deal as someone's frozen computer. But that's no reason to tell the pencil guy to live with his dull pencil. I don't recall reading anywhere in the forum rules to only ask about things the experts consider significant.
My advice is very simple… the more time and posting you give the “snarkers” the more they thrive on it.
Take the hood with the bad and move on… if you do that you will take the good and leave the rest of the stuff in the “rearview” mirror!!!
I have been on forums for years with a few different subjects and you can’t escape the snarkism but you can give it very little attention. My 3 cents for the day!
The following users liked this post:
Elbeau (06-27-2024)
Old 06-27-2024, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
It was a joke. I was being facetious. You go ahead and ask about frivolities all you want.

Turn it the other way around: People such as myself volunteer our time to help others because we've been in the position of helpless ignorance ourselves. We volunteer because we empathize with people's anguish.

It never occurred to you to begin your request for free help with a qualifier: "This may seem like a frivolous question, but ..." It's called reading the room; half the questions posted are from people saying something terrible has happened. It's called being tone deaf; people are dying and you're coming to the first aid station with a headache - and then complaining that the volunteer behind the desk rolls his eyes when you ask for aspirin. Sure, that's an exaggeration, but you gotta remember, half these guys' vehicles are hanging by a thread.

You're obviously a sensitive guy, and I did not mean to hurt your feelings. If it toughened you a little for the battles to come with your GL, it was worth it. Otherwise, I apologize for being dismissive of your concerns.

Last edited by eric_in_sd; 06-27-2024 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-27-2024, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
Regarding WIS and the multiplexers, etc: I believe WIS is included in STAR/DAS/Xentry when you get a clone system from guys like @BenzNinja . I meant that there are standalone systems you can get - it's software you install on your PC. This is not for the faint of heart; you have to set up a virtual machine, but if that is not too intimidating, that works well. Of course, it's an irate-pay opy-cay.
Old 06-27-2024, 02:52 PM

Mercedes gl450
It was a joke. I was being facetious. You go ahead and ask about frivolities all you want.

Turn it the other way around: People such as myself volunteer our time to help others because we've been in the position of helpless ignorance ourselves. We volunteer because we empathize with people's anguish.

It never occurred to you to begin your request for free help with a qualifier: "This may seem like a frivolous question, but ..." It's called reading the room; half the questions posted are from people saying something terrible has happened. It's called being tone deaf; people are dying and you're coming to the first aid station with a headache - and then complaining that the volunteer behind the desk rolls his eyes when you ask for aspirin. Sure, it's an exaggeration, but you gotta remember, half these guys' vehicles are hanging by a thread.

You're obviously a sensitive guy, and I did not mean to hurt your feelings. If it toughened you a little for the battles to come with your GL, it was worth it. Otherwise, I apologize for being dismissive of your concerns.
Your perspective is unjustified here. People come here because they have (opr want) MB's. It's not up to yopu to decide what is a "worthy" question. If you're so worried about wasting your time, stop responding with condescending unhelpful responses. I don't need you to toughen me up.

My job actually involved dealing with adversarial people on a daily basis. When I come here to ask a simple question, I don't need more of that crap.

This is NOT an emergency room. But, I guess if you broke your toe, you would be fine with the ER doctor telling you to get lost, he has other things to worry about.
Old 06-27-2024, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 GL450
Your perspective is unjustified here. People come here because they have (opr want) MB's. It's not up to yopu to decide what is a "worthy" question. If you're so worried about wasting your time, stop responding with condescending unhelpful responses. I don't need you to toughen me up.

My job actually involved dealing with adversarial people on a daily basis. When I come here to ask a simple question, I don't need more of that crap.

This is NOT an emergency room. But, I guess if you broke your toe, you would be fine with the ER doctor telling you to get lost, he has other things to worry about.
You gonna be the one to tell the next guy that comes around with a dead-in-the-water GL that this is NOT an emergency room?

I was here first. You're the one coming in and telling me how to behave. So be it. I'm sorry I irritated you. Good luck with your GL.
Old 06-27-2024, 04:05 PM

Enough already TIMEOUT

OK both of you go to your room with No internet access and think about your issues .. wait don’t think about your issues.. lol 😂
Namaste day!!!
Elbeau (06-28-2024)
Old 07-04-2024, 12:02 PM

2009 GL 450
I really apologize for any issues I've created in the forum. It was not my intention. As I stated in the first post this is the first Mercedes I've ever owned and I had just purchased it. I said that it came with a 3 ring binder full of all the service records which I had not gone through yet. I also said that the issues I posted were simply "nit picker" issues, not major problems with the car. If this was not the forum to post those types of issues then I apologize for that but I could not find another sub forum for minor cosmetic matters. I've been working on cars and motorcycles for over 40 years, from classic Mustangs to BMW Ms, doing everything from body work to engine replacement. As I said this was the first Mercedes I've owned and just had a quick question about the few minor items that I saw on the car and thought I'd be able to find out how to get the lens off the brake light without buying the service manual. Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa.

I'll go buy the service manual and not create tension in the forum.
Old 07-04-2024, 12:40 PM

welcome anytime

I really apologize for any issues I've created in the forum. It was not my intention. As I stated in the first post this is the first Mercedes I've ever owned and I had just purchased it. I said that it came with a 3 ring binder full of all the service records which I had not gone through yet. I also said that the issues I posted were simply "nit picker" issues, not major problems with the car. If this was not the forum to post those types of issues then I apologize for that but I could not find another sub forum for minor cosmetic matters. I've been working on cars and motorcycles for over 40 years, from classic Mustangs to BMW Ms, doing everything from body work to engine replacement. As I said this was the first Mercedes I've owned and just had a quick question about the few minor items that I saw on the car and thought I'd be able to find out how to get the lens off the brake light without buying the service manual. Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa.

I'll go buy the service manual and not create tension in the forum.
This forum is here to help everyone . We all start somewhere and share our experiences. There are some people who constantly wake up on the wrong side and like to stir the pot.
My advice is to keep asking questions and share your experiences. Most here are quite friendly and knowledgeable. With your vast car experience I am sure you will do ok with the MB. Once you gather the appropriate tools it will become much easier also.

Last edited by vesiadog; 07-04-2024 at 01:03 PM.
Elbeau (Yesterday)
Old 07-04-2024, 02:26 PM

2009 GL 450
Hey Vesiadog,

Thanks for the encouragement. As a full time Old Guy and owner of several H.A.R.D. tee shirts (Half *** Retired Dude) I know what you mean about waking up on the wrong side of the bed. I was out looking at the lift gate this morning and it looks like one of the plastic trim panels on the inside of the gate will come off with a panel removal tool so I'll start there. I've been looking for YouTube videos or other sources but the only ones I can find start with the brake light lens already removed. My main reason for asking in the forum was not to damage something that might cost $$$ to replace if broken. I have a pretty good idea what parts cost for this car and didn't want to start by tearing up something that was going to cost an arm and a leg to replace. I thought someone would be able to guide me to a video that I missed or some web site where the removal was described. I'll see if I can pop this trim panel off later today and go from there.

I went through the service binder and it does have the record of what looks like every time the car was into the dealership for service. Looks like the suspension air bags were all replaced within the last 18 months/20K miles. The car was into the dealership about 500 miles from when I bought it. I'm getting the sound of a pump going on every so often which I'm guessing is the air suspension. I'm not seeing any change in the car height when it's parked for a few days so I'm wondering if the pump goes off every so often as a normal thing or if there could be a slow leak in either a connection or a line, or one of the bags. The bags are Arnott and according to the paperwork have a lifetime warranty. I'm going to see if I can spray some leak detection fluid on the bags and connections to see what I get. Any suggestions on that?

Joe

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 3.00 average.

Quick Reply: New Member First Questions