GL Class (X164) 2007-2012: GL320CDI, GL420CDI, GL450, GL550

Acceleration hesitates at 15-20 mph

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gl550
Acceleration hesitates at 15-20 mph

During traffic when I slowly accelerate from 15-20 mph the car hesitates, but if i accelerate fast the car does not hesitate. Has anyone ever come across this issue?
Old Yesterday, 07:33 PM

Received 404 Likes on 281 Posts
13 s212 63 p30. 03 s55amg. 06 LX470
Originally Posted by rabad2008
During traffic when I slowly accelerate from 15-20 mph the car hesitates, but if i accelerate fast the car does not hesitate. Has anyone ever come across this issue?
Take a look for oil in the harness. Have you done this, or replaced cps and magnets? If you can, log the car for misfires, related to coil packs. Change the bad coil pack around and see if the misfire follows. Replace if that’s the case.
Old Today, 11:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man, the GL Class (X164) can be really frustrating with its quirks. The hesitation you're feeling between 15-20 mph could be stemming from a few different areas. It might be an issue with the throttle body or the throttle position sensor, causing inconsistent acceleration signals. Another possibility is a problem with the mass airflow sensor, which can disrupt the air-fuel mixture and lead to hesitation under light load. Additionally, the transmission control module might be struggling with shifting smoothly at those specific speeds, or there could be a minor fuel injector clog that's only noticeable during gentle acceleration. Wiring issues or faulty ground connections in the engine bay can also intermittently affect performance, leading to the symptoms you're describing. You should probably run a full system scan. There should be fault codes on at least one or more control modules related to this. If you want to figure this out yourself, then you will need to get a full system scanner. the "youcanic full system scanner" is very good at diagnosing all systems, and there are other scan tools that can do this. Just be careful to use a full system scanner or you may scan the car and see no fault codes, as some scanners cannot read all vehicle systems.
Old Today, 01:12 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Mercedes gl450
Originally Posted by tepelena
. If you want to figure this out yourself, then you will need to get a full system scanner. the "youcanic full system scanner" is very good at diagnosing all systems, and there are other scan tools that can do this. Just be careful to use a full system scanner or you may scan the car and see no fault codes, as some scanners cannot read all vehicle systems.
Can the Youcanic do any programming, or is it just a scanner?
Old Today, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 246 Posts
'08 GL 320 CDI
Originally Posted by Elbeau
Can the Youcanic do any programming, or is it just a scanner?
I think he's a robot. Seems most of his (it's?) posts are about recommending that scanner - I asked him for clarification a week or so ago, but there's been no response.
Old Today, 01:55 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Mercedes gl450
Originally Posted by DennisG01
I think he's a robot. Seems most of his (it's?) posts are about recommending that scanner - I asked him for clarification a week or so ago, but there's been no response.
Okay. Thanks for that info. Seems like a rather wordy response for a bot, though.
I often fail to get responses on follow-ups to posts.
Old Today, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 GL 320 CDI
Originally Posted by Elbeau
Seems like a rather wordy response for a bot, though.
I agree - but that AI crap is getting ridiculously smart. Or, maybe he sells that scanner?

I'm withholding judgement (sort of) - but I'm curious

But the response always seems thoughtful - I'll give 'em that!

Last edited by DennisG01; Today at 02:47 PM.
Old Today, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 GL 320 CDI
Rabad, running fuel injector cleaner certainly wouldn't hurt anything.

Does the hesitation time with a gear shift? Pay attention to the revs... or try manually shifting to see if it follows.