GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Order Guide w/ Special Order Options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts
2014 S550 - SOLD, 2014 GL550 - SOLD, 2014 GL63 AMG, 2015 S63 AMG Sedan, 2015 S63 AMG Coupe
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Pardon for the catchup:

1) Cup holder debate: Yes, the heated/cooled cup holders were dropped because of unmet consumer expectations - story about melted keys is whacked - cup holders were designed using thermistor tehcnolgy which would allow hot cups to stay warmer longer, and cool cups to stay cooler longer - focus group testing showed North American market expected cup holder to make warm drinks hotter and to make cool drinks colder - which frankly was beyond the capabilities of the system

2) Designo leather has always been a supply-limited feature - the conjecture here on "any leather will do" is simply nonsense - and the Designo leather interior is a function of leather with detailed handwork. What zapped Designo this season was unanticipated demand for Designo leather in ML+GL's - in part caused by the best-in-class competitive price leadership of both the ML (including the ML63) and new GL on features - actual consumer demand is estimated to be 3 times the forecast - but still unknown factor really since Designo sold out so quickly when the order bank was open for that feature. Designo was available when Dec order bank originally opened up - then one color sells out first, 2nd color sells out 2nd, etc. Order bank opening quite soon for January production - if you want Designo you need orders ready with your dealer - overall delivery in 12 weeks will be possible for next year - if your order is placed with your dealer before Jan orderbank is opened 9-10 weeks may be possible 2nd/3rd decade Jan.

3) Yes - GL550 Designo wraps upper and lower dash same as ML63 - from photos you can see dash color upper and lower match.

4) 3rd zone climate control is a fantastic system for the price - and 3rd zone will likely get scarce for Jan/Spring - just telling you that you might expect this

5) On sound system - 1st the overall quietness of the new GL dramatically improves the quality and content of the stereo system - stereo separation and fidelity all get a mjor boost especially now that you can appreciate quality/content at lower volume levels with the substantial decrease in background ambient noise.
For those that have not experienced the B&O - most haven't - what the system really does is in effect change the acoustic experience from listening to music inside "size of the SUV box" to a acoustic sound field like listening to music inside a medium size living room. This is B&O's forte - really trippy to be listening to stereo imaging where individual voices and instruments acoustically appear to be outside the front windshield acoustically hovering over the front hood - like I say trippy - if your dealer has a SLS let your ears give it a whirl Is B&O "worth it" - sonic beauty is in the ears of the beholder - the future add on trade-in/resale value 2-3-4 yrs out is still unknown since few salespeople have any ears-on experience to correctly describe to you what B&O does and does not do - but frankly with the quieter interior of the GL - simply awesome.

6) There is quite a full list of "little" options that originally became available for Dec production when that opened - including the fore mentioned Surround View, power lift 2nd seat - then never before mentioned things like rear sunshades - if you are placing a future order - like teeing a order up for Jan production (if your dealer will have allocation to allow order) then you should review these "little options" with your dealer now so your order can be complete.

The GL is a production limited model that is selling out from launch - in part since the 2012 ML broke the ice in international markets and the premium new GL is also a strong intl seller from the gate - my estimate GL realistically be a order-your-GL at least thru May/June - if you want a GL, its a fantastic vehicle, quietest and smoothest SUV ever - and the GL is also a zoom-mobile - maybe you should get your order in...
My order (GL550 with designo) is accepted in the system but not scheduled for production. When you explain the order system with the Dec bank - does it mean that the bank slots are taken up when the system accepts an order or when an order is actually scheduled?

I am not sure if I am being clear with my question. I am trying to understand how the order system works. My order was placed in the end of September.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx
Thanks for the extremely informative info fabbrisd1. If you don't mind me asking, what part of MB do you work in?
HA! I'm sure he must remain "silent" on that one.... You really have done a beautiful job with the R, by the way!
Old 11-07-2012, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Pardon for the catchup:

1) Cup holder debate: Yes, the heated/cooled cup holders were dropped because of unmet consumer expectations - story about melted keys is whacked - cup holders were designed using thermistor tehcnolgy which would allow hot cups to stay warmer longer, and cool cups to stay cooler longer - focus group testing showed North American market expected cup holder to make warm drinks hotter and to make cool drinks colder - which frankly was beyond the capabilities of the system

2) Designo leather has always been a supply-limited feature - the conjecture here on "any leather will do" is simply nonsense - and the Designo leather interior is a function of leather with detailed handwork. What zapped Designo this season was unanticipated demand for Designo leather in ML+GL's - in part caused by the best-in-class competitive price leadership of both the ML (including the ML63) and new GL on features - actual consumer demand is estimated to be 3 times the forecast - but still unknown factor really since Designo sold out so quickly when the order bank was open for that feature. Designo was available when Dec order bank originally opened up - then one color sells out first, 2nd color sells out 2nd, etc. Order bank opening quite soon for January production - if you want Designo you need orders ready with your dealer - overall delivery in 12 weeks will be possible for next year - if your order is placed with your dealer before Jan orderbank is opened 9-10 weeks may be possible 2nd/3rd decade Jan.

3) Yes - GL550 Designo wraps upper and lower dash same as ML63 - from photos you can see dash color upper and lower match.

4) 3rd zone climate control is a fantastic system for the price - and 3rd zone will likely get scarce for Jan/Spring - just telling you that you might expect this

5) On sound system - 1st the overall quietness of the new GL dramatically improves the quality and content of the stereo system - stereo separation and fidelity all get a mjor boost especially now that you can appreciate quality/content at lower volume levels with the substantial decrease in background ambient noise.
For those that have not experienced the B&O - most haven't - what the system really does is in effect change the acoustic experience from listening to music inside "size of the SUV box" to a acoustic sound field like listening to music inside a medium size living room. This is B&O's forte - really trippy to be listening to stereo imaging where individual voices and instruments acoustically appear to be outside the front windshield acoustically hovering over the front hood - like I say trippy - if your dealer has a SLS let your ears give it a whirl Is B&O "worth it" - sonic beauty is in the ears of the beholder - the future add on trade-in/resale value 2-3-4 yrs out is still unknown since few salespeople have any ears-on experience to correctly describe to you what B&O does and does not do - but frankly with the quieter interior of the GL - simply awesome.

6) There is quite a full list of "little" options that originally became available for Dec production when that opened - including the fore mentioned Surround View, power lift 2nd seat - then never before mentioned things like rear sunshades - if you are placing a future order - like teeing a order up for Jan production (if your dealer will have allocation to allow order) then you should review these "little options" with your dealer now so your order can be complete.

The GL is a production limited model that is selling out from launch - in part since the 2012 ML broke the ice in international markets and the premium new GL is also a strong intl seller from the gate - my estimate GL realistically be a order-your-GL at least thru May/June - if you want a GL, its a fantastic vehicle, quietest and smoothest SUV ever - and the GL is also a zoom-mobile - maybe you should get your order in...
Great info......and helpful!
Old 11-08-2012, 11:51 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
MBs
Hi all-

from what I know-
heatd/cooled cup holders standard on gl550- however seems like they may have been dropped- wouldve been a great featurs, especially with kids (which is why i guess someone gets a gl) to keep their milk warm and juices cold-- was looking forward to that one..

-easy entry available from early 2013 build
-360 camera available from early 2013 build
-satin dash also available as a special order ($250)

question- does the wrapped dash really look that good? i mean for a black interior/dash i'm sure it'll look awesome, but for a beige, it might look weird with a dark dash, lighter lower console and then a dark wrap below that! the 550 comes with two tone door stitching anyway, (light and dark) i'm thinking wrapped dash may not look good for that- but not sure, hence didnt order it- thoughts?

thanks

Last edited by sraza; 11-08-2012 at 11:57 AM. Reason: updated info
Old 11-09-2012, 02:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
I don't know what country you are from:

-easy entry available from early 2013 build
-360 camera available from early 2013 build

Both those options are available with Dec builds - and some Dec orders are still changeable/add those options

On "satin dash" I don't know what you mean unless you are talking satin wood..
Old 11-09-2012, 01:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
MBs
from the mid west--

this is info i got when my order was placed last month- maybe there were updates... typically dec builds will likely get shipped/delivered in early jan- thats kinda what i meant...

yes by satin dash- i do mean the satin ash/brown open pore wood trim on the dash
Old 11-09-2012, 10:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
I apologize for mis-type: EZ entry + 360 camera were recently "opended" to be available for Dec changeable orders - that may have changed since Weds -"satin" wood has always been available, but the leather interior you are ordering it for has been tight-tight...

On Sam's issue with Designo - if order was placed with the dealer requiring Designo, bad timing actually, your dealer is waiting to find Designo (in the color you asked for) available as new decades open for order entry with production - I think you dealer might have messed up a little, there was limited Designo for 1st decade January - next two weeks you have to hound that dealer so they push to grab a limited end-Jan/Feb for Designo.

There will be some "December production" orders that will slip at the factory into January production backlog - AND shipping times from the factory to dealer for Dec production that is completed will get longer - transport times in Holiday season always get hairier..

Keep the beat !
Old 11-10-2012, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey Fabbrisd1!...... You have been really helpful to us with regard to the complexties of the order process! Am I Understanding this correctly..... My order was placed and accepted by the system on Oct. 30 for a December build. The order included the Distronic, 360 surround camera, regular leather.....all of which have had some availability issues since the vehicle was launched.... If the system accepted the order as specified does that mean that those "limited" options are guaranteed for my build period????
Old 11-10-2012, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
On December build where options have been confirmed you should be fine - if there were any last minute shiffle/changes dealer would get a notice from factory that requires them to contact you for reconfirmation.

Now... December production is scheduled at max month so far, and if they are not able to meet higher production total... there is a possibility that there may be un-built/Dece orders carried over into 1st week January.

I am not saying this will happen - I am saying it is possible it may happen - it's December, close of MB's fiscal year - so they will do everything professionally possible to meet their #'s on this strong selling GL series.

Keep the faith - great truck !
Old 11-10-2012, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

On December build where options have been confirmed you should be fine - if there were any last minute shiffle/changes dealer would get a notice from factory that requires them to contact you for reconfirmation.

Now... December production is scheduled at max month so far, and if they are not able to meet higher production total... there is a possibility that there may be un-built/Dece orders carried over into 1st week January.

I am not saying this will happen - I am saying it is possible it may happen - it's December, close of MB's fiscal year - so they will do everything professionally possible to meet their #'s on this strong selling GL series.

Keep the faith - great truck !
....and thank you again!
Old 11-11-2012, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Porsche TURBO Cab, 2012 Ferrari 458, 2008 S550, 2013 GL550, 2015 S63 Coupe AMG
Originally Posted by X166
Did anyone order the Designo interior? I was told that the wrapped lower dash was included in that package.
i was wondering about this too. i am getting ready to order the gl 550 but didnt see the designo option on the mb site. i was also wondering if they do a matte silver finish on the gl. i saw that paint on a sls amg and it really looked great
Old 11-12-2012, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Matte paints aren't offered on the GL at the moment.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
For those pointed at GL550's - that's where the more serious production constraint has been felt - for some dealers there has been dealy (especially if a unit upside to allocation, even if entered/allowed as a sold unit) and the GL550's will be very limited in production at least thru Spring.

The GL550 situation has been also inflamed by the fact in addition to over-projection demand in the US, internal markets have sold well over projection as well.

Most successful luxury to-line SUV from Mercedes ever - and right now so tight availability wise the whole supply chain squeals !