GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Review of Active Lane Keeping Assist

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
Review of Active Lane Keeping Assist

I'll do one more review of a feature I have on my GL350. This time it's active lane keeping assist.

This option came to me as part of the Driver's Assist Package. This feature identifies the lane markings (the solid white line on the right and the various options for painted lines on the left). It tells you when it's identified the markings by turning a little symbol green in your display. If the symbol is white it hasn't been able to identify the lane markings.

There is also a setting to turn it off, turn it on strictly or turn it on in an adaptive mode. The adaptive mode gives the driver some leeway in crossing the lines on curves, etc. I have mine set to this mode.

Living in Minnesota and driving on rural roads regularly I'm astonished at how well it picks up the lane markings. We often have poorly painted lines, black tar repairs that interfere with the paint, etc. I've found it's very good and finding the lines. I've even driven in fog and found it did a good job of locking in.

I've played with this option by purposely drifting out of the lane, as well as have experienced it when I wasn't paying attention and drifted by accident.

Drifting over a dashed line causes the steering wheel to vibrate much like you'd experience if the road had small rumble bumps. It doesn't feel like rumble bumps you'd experience in California roads, more subtle. If you turn your blinker on to cross the dashed lines it doesn't vibrate.

Drifting over a solid line causes the car to brake on the inside wheel and thereby bringing you back into the lane. I don't think I've tried drifting over a solid line with your blinker on to see what happens. As with all cases the driver can over-steer the computer. So if you wanted to pull over onto the shoulder you can.

Overall, I find this option to be a nice option. It's not something you will use or experience too often, but I like that it does monitor and check my driving. As I mentioned, this comes in the Driver Assist Package (with Active Blind Spot assist, and Distronic Plus). I like Distronic Plus a lot and I think this feature brings in another nice add for this package's price tag.

Please feel free to correct, debate or counter my review, these are just one person's opinions.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Great review Jim! Sounds like that package is well worth it!