GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

input to gl450 options for a X5 owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 04:20 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2021 GLS580 all black. 2014 GLK black (kids car). formerly: 2014 GL550 Palladium Silver (US)
input to gl450 options for a X5 owner

We are considering a move to a GL450 for the third seat size. The X5 3rd seat is too small and the '07 is getting too old to be the family car. We are a BMW family, new to MB.

We have the X5 sport package, 4.8i, Technology, Cold packages.
We'd definitely get rear heated seats, Premium 2 pkg, Parking assist pkg and probably lighting.

I'm not sure about MB Tex (Sales guy says they are better than leather).

I'm also curious about the contour seats, the active curve and active dampening. The cost of these adds aren't insignificant. I really love the X5 handling though and don't know if these will be meaningful improvements in the MB feel compared to the X5.

If you have experience with both cars, I'd appreciate your perspective.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
MBs
all packages are great- def get leather- mb tex is great too but i wouldnt say better than leather- maybe maintaining and long term wear and tear; but leather is leather
handling will be diff- x5 much shorter- but gl still pretty sporty- u'l def like the 3rd row much better-
Old 01-23-2013, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Interior - MBtex is a great material - actually synthetic bonded to cotton webbing - so it is scratch free from normal wear as compared to leather - and very easy cleanup - the MB interior in Designo black is Maserati-like sexy look and more importantly sexy feel, best luxury look/feel interior I have seen in any SUV ever, but is a substantial uptick. The multi-contour option needs to be balanced by the value you place on individual customization for seat comfort and/or special needs.

The stock GL is not boggy/dippy in handling in my opinion, the GL is not like a Escalade or big box Infinity or Rover - active curve delivers pancake/flat handling, and for a 5900 lb SUV that is quite a sophisticated system.

Keep the faith !
Old 01-23-2013, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
2023 Range Rover, 2020 MB S450
I suggest you to go to the nearest MB dealer and test drive GL before you will get it. I used to own X5, the same like yours, and GL really feels like a big boat compared to X5 . Not that I don't like it, but if you are a BMW person - test drive will tell you if this is the car for you.
Multicontour seats - I think it's a waste of money compared to BMW.
I wouldn't get GL without P2, Parktronic, Blind Spot, heated Steering wheel, Appearance ( for 450) and Lighting. MB-tex is fine, especially if you will keep your car for a long time. Some people need off-road package - depends where you live.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
Active Curve System and Adaptive Damping I would go with, I skipped Multicontour front seats with message as the massage function was a complete joke and made 0.001% difference in ride comfort, it costs only $1000 in Canada so its peanuts when your spending north of 100 grand but I found no use for it, skip the Bang and Olufson system and night view as well. I have driven X5's and find it to be completly different ride (much much harsher ride), if your looking for X5 type drive and handling I would go for something like a Cayenne or ML which is still a softer ride than a X5 but not as soft as the GL, the GL is more for lux ride and handling (thinking floating) rather than the sporty hard ride your used to in the X5
Old 01-23-2013, 07:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 S580 Prior: 2012 E350 Bluetec, 2013 GL350 Bluetec, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2006 E320 CDI, 1987 260E
All personal preference I guess but I do like the multi-contour seats. I have the single multi-countour seat in my E-class and actually prefer that seatup where its push button vs. having to go through the command. The GL set-up is neater of course going through command and it's nice to have it for the passenger also. On the GL though the sides don't hug you in the turns like the E-class and I believe BMW seats do though.

I think the MBTex vs. leather depends on your situation. The leather I think is great, but I am getting tex in my cars for now, as I'd hate to be strapping car seats and pinching buckles etc into the leather and have kids with wet shoes dragging their feet across it when we are trying to get them in from the opposite door etc. Leather would be nicer but I an satisfied with the recent MBTex, the older offering made my back very warm.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
Originally Posted by Mbenz260e
All personal preference I guess but I do like the multi-contour seats. I have the single multi-countour seat in my E-class and actually prefer that seatup where its push button vs. having to go through the command. The GL set-up is neater of course going through command and it's nice to have it for the passenger also. On the GL though the sides don't hug you in the turns like the E-class and I believe BMW seats do though.

I think the MBTex vs. leather depends on your situation. The leather I think is great, but I am getting tex in my cars for now, as I'd hate to be strapping car seats and pinching buckles etc into the leather and have kids with wet shoes dragging their feet across it when we are trying to get them in from the opposite door etc. Leather would be nicer but I an satisfied with the recent MBTex, the older offering made my back very warm.
I thought they did? hence the name being "multi-contour"
Old 01-23-2013, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
I did my personal reviews of some of the systems on my GL - distronic, lighting package, nightview assist, lane keeping assist. Check them out.

Of all of those, lighting is the biggest must if you drive in the country/rural areas.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You mentioned heated rear seats. I agree they are a must as we travel with couples a lot and having the guys in the front with toasty warm butts and the women with cold butts in the back led to cold shoulders all around.

But, you will find that isn't a common option on the lots, so you might have to order.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2021 S580 Prior: 2012 E350 Bluetec, 2013 GL350 Bluetec, 2009 ML320 Bluetec, 2006 E320 CDI, 1987 260E
Originally Posted by cookstar
I thought they did? hence the name being "multi-contour"
I think the "Dynamic" multicontour seats, such as the SL class and what I have on the E do that, but the ML and GL just have multicountour seats. Though I may be missing something haven't spent as much time with the GL as I would have liked so far...
Old 01-23-2013, 10:29 PM

2021 GLS580 all black. 2014 GLK black (kids car). formerly: 2014 GL550 Palladium Silver (US)
Thanks for all the great input.
I will miss the smaller, nimble X5 but we think we need a third seat for a few years longer and my tall 12 year old and her friends no longer fit.

We did test drive. This all started with our interest in a low miles '11 GL550 but after driving it, it felt so bulky from the inside compared to the X5. The '13 feels and drives better for our tastes even as a 450 and the price is close.

I'll try to find a picture of the contour seats or see if the dealer has something similar to show us.

To my family, the rear heated seats are way more popular than an entertainment system.

I'd also be interested in experience with the Panoramic skylight. Any problems (leaks?) besides the fact that the back doesn't have a shade?

With BMW, they give you 5 years maintenance which I'll ALSO miss. Is the added cost MB maintenance a similar service? I only had to pay for battery & tires I think. I'd even drive by for fluids, wipers, etc. They also sell you paint/interior protection and run flat tires insurance. What services do people find to be of value? (I saw the thread on maintenance).
Old 01-23-2013, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
On prepaid maintenance - best "value" is the 30K package.. you can be the judge on the wheel/tire package, depends on how many wheel scrapes you can expect..

Keep the beat !
Old 01-24-2013, 06:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GL350. BMW 335. 2014R1200RTW
My only experience with the X5 was ~ 30 minutes of combined off and on road when I took the Performance Center delivery of my BMW 335 (made in Munich but the center's delivery experience is a really top notch no-cost option for all who order BMW's). Subsequently we've ordered a GL350 BTC for the torque and overall towing capability (Airstreamers) but you really need to drive each new model, they are as different as you can possibly imagine and you may find a newer X5 is simply too good to pass up. You might invest in a Honda Odyssey for the times you need a third row because the GL simply can't match the X5's driving dynamics because of the way they are set up and the sheer physics. Granted, I haven't driven the GL550 but I can't invest 100K+ in a vehicle either. not trying to offend anyone, just pointing out how different the BMW and MB drive and 5yr/50K care free driving is a significant perk in my book.

Perhaps a long time MB person can indicate why MB doesn't offer some sort of delivery experience ala BMW?

Last edited by JMCarter; 01-24-2013 at 06:45 AM.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This is bringing back lots of memories. About 10 years ago now my wife and I decided to investigate luxury SUVs. I had been to Sindelfingen to tour MB as a side trip for my job, liked the 'German Engineering'.

We looked at German and Japanese lines, and ended up with a decision between an ML500 and an X5. I wanted the X5 because it felt more like a performance car, had better acceleration, handling, etc. My wife liked the MB better because it felt more luxurious. The ride was smoother, the seats were softer, etc. MB was much more willing to negotiate price, and as you have guessed my wife won this decision. The solution in my head was that if I couldn't live without having a performance sensation I would negotiate to buy a sports car (maybe an SLK). I have yet to buy that sports car, but still haven't completely ruled it out either.

I have aged and maybe that's part of the solution, but I do love driving the 2013 GL. But I look to it to make me comfortable and safe on the road, not to turn heads as I try to keep up with the corvette in the next lane. I have a diesel now, so having the performance in the SUV has reached a low point, but I chose fuel efficiency this time around.

While the conditions are different, you need the true 7 seat capacity of the GL, perhaps my experience will help. Let the SUV be what it is - a 7 seat luxury SUV with enough horsepower to give you maneuverability, but don't expect it to ever make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. Consider a true sports car for that.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:46 PM

2013 GL350
Originally Posted by cincy8
I'd also be interested in experience with the Panoramic skylight. Any problems (leaks?) besides the fact that the back doesn't have a shade?
I have the pano roof and have not experienced any issues in the 6 weeks of ownership.

Our 2010 GL350 had mb tex and I ordered leather this time.

I was able to get the ADS system (w/o active curve) as a special order in my 2013 GL350 (a GL450 could do that as well). I think that provides a nice ride comfort upgrade - it is standard for the 550.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by tfinan

Our 2010 GL350 had mb tex and I ordered leather this time.

Was there a particular reason for the leather choice or complaint on MB Tex?
Old 01-24-2013, 07:01 PM

2013 GL350
Originally Posted by cincy8
Was there a particular reason for the leather choice or complaint on MB Tex?
In short, I accepted a car in transit for my 2010 and this time ordered the 2013 exactly as I wanted. I traded rear entertainment for leather this time.

I presently plan to keep this vehicle after the lease is up so wanted to have something that I'd be happy with for a long time. I wanted to avoid that "could of had" feeling.

It appears to me that MB dealers mostly order mbtex for stock vehicles which will most likely be leased via MBFS and then returned to them.

The mb tex was durable in the seating areas. We did have one tear near the top of the second row where it met the carpet. I don't know how this happened and don't blame the material.