GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

No Snow mode allowed on the road?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 05:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2023 EQS 580
No Snow mode allowed on the road?

noob Question.
I am not going to offroading with my GL 550 but was wondering if I will ever miss not having Snow mode in winter on icy/snowy mountain roads. The MB manual said do not use off road modes on the road. What is the reason? I use it on my Range Rover Sport going down the mountain in snow and ice at 25 to 30mph. (Yes I am that guy who slows the Traffic until next turnout but I value my skull more). Is it wrong to use it on the road? Once in Range Rover I momentarily lost control in Snow mode and my friend said that snow mode may cause it too. I just feel safer when the low range gears slow down the vehicle and increase the torque. Is it just better put the GL on hill decent mode in Snow/Ice? Is it the same as putting the car in lower gear?
If offroad package will help I can sell this 550 now when there is demand and find/order another with that package.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by DrAA
noob Question.
I am not going to offroading with my GL 550 but was wondering if I will ever miss not having Snow mode in winter on icy/snowy mountain roads. The MB manual said do not use off road modes on the road. What is the reason? I use it on my Range Rover Sport going down the mountain in snow and ice at 25 to 30mph. (Yes I am that guy who slows the Traffic until next turnout but I value my skull more). Is it wrong to use it on the road? Once in Range Rover I momentarily lost control in Snow mode and my friend said that snow mode may cause it too. I just feel safer when the low range gears slow down the vehicle and increase the torque. Is it just better put the GL on hill decent mode in Snow/Ice? Is it the same as putting the car in lower gear?
If offroad package will help I can sell this 550 now when there is demand and find/order another with that package.
Well....there are several issues here: first, the "off road" modes ( 1 & 2 ) are separate programs from the "snow" program. The snow program is designed to provide a slower throttle response, a start from stop in 2nd gear, more adaptive shift points and it also applies a a different program to the traction control system with regard to the anti-lock brakes and center differential lock............... all of this with driving on snow covered "normal roads" ...... you can, in fact, activate the snow program anytime ( rain, dry roads ) if you so choose! The two off road programs are designed literally for "off road".....dirt, rocks, mud. Off road 1 can be of help in deep snow , back roads and can be augmented by your own manual shifting of the gears to a lower gear for going downhill. NEVER use the hill descent mode on snow/ice roads..... hill descent assumes a dry "off road' situation. Hill descent will utilize the gearing AND the brakes to maintain the selected descent speed.....in applying the brakes it could cause the vehicle to become uncontrollable on a snow/ice covered hill. So.... in summary, hill descent, off road #2, and low range are really designed for severe off road. Snow program and off road 1 are really helpful in on and off road snow situations....and the off road package allows you the additional capability to raise the vehicle up to a 12in. ground clearance which is also helpful in deep snow. I have had the off road pack. on each of the GL's i have owned because I do travel in some deep snow back roads during the winter.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:11 PM

2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by blittle
Well....there are several issues here: first, the "off road" modes ( 1 & 2 ) are separate programs from the "snow" program. The snow program is designed to provide a slower throttle response, a start from stop in 2nd gear, more adaptive shift points and it also applies a a different program to the traction control system with regard to the anti-lock brakes and center differential lock............... all of this with driving on snow covered "normal roads" ...... you can, in fact, activate the snow program anytime ( rain, dry roads ) if you so choose! The two off road programs are designed literally for "off road".....dirt, rocks, mud. Off road 1 can be of help in deep snow , back roads and can be augmented by your own manual shifting of the gears to a lower gear for going downhill. NEVER use the hill descent mode on snow/ice roads..... hill descent assumes a dry "off road' situation. Hill descent will utilize the gearing AND the brakes to maintain the selected descent speed.....in applying the brakes it could cause the vehicle to become uncontrollable on a snow/ice covered hill. So.... in summary, hill descent, off road #2, and low range are really designed for severe off road. Snow program and off road 1 are really helpful in on and off road snow situations....and the off road package allows you the additional capability to raise the vehicle up to a 12in. ground clearance which is also helpful in deep snow. I have had the off road pack. on each of the GL's i have owned because I do travel in some deep snow back roads during the winter.
Thanks for the advise not to use Hill Descent in snow. I wonder how much can you raise in deep snow with "standart" GL 550 raise/lower button. Can't find it on line. I guess for snow/ice driving I should just use old fashioned low gear method for now.

Last edited by DrAA; 04-16-2013 at 12:18 PM. Reason: add
Old 04-16-2013, 12:38 PM

2023 EQS 580
Another question to owners in Canada and northern states: do you have dedicated snow tires for your GLs? Thinking of getting standard 19 wheels instead of my present 21s and putting maximum allowed size winter tires.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 GL550, 2012 E550
We had some deep snow this past winter in omaha. Prob 12-15 inch with some bigger drifts. My 12 GL550 with stock 21's did great. Raised it up as high as it would go, comfort mode plus raise button, and couldn't have been happier. I thought about a set of different tires but thought I'd wait to see how oem ones did and glad I didn't spend the extra cash.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:31 PM

2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by 2-550's
We had some deep snow this past winter in omaha. Prob 12-15 inch with some bigger drifts. My 12 GL550 with stock 21's did great. Raised it up as high as it would go, comfort mode plus raise button, and couldn't have been happier. I thought about a set of different tires but thought I'd wait to see how oem ones did and glad I didn't spend the extra cash.
Thanks. More replies like this will save me more than 2 Gs. My Range Rover came with low profile 22s but I also got original 19s with all season tiers. In November and April it is an ordeal to swap the two sets for few weekends of snow driving. (I live in So Cal)
I am glad stock 21' AMGs on GL550 have so much more rubber.

Last edited by DrAA; 04-16-2013 at 04:35 PM. Reason: spell
Old 04-16-2013, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by 2-550's

Nice to hear that someone has had good results with the bigger tires in the snow.....what tire brand are the 21"s ?
Old 04-16-2013, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
I have never used any winter tires for any vehicles, in Toronto I can only recall less than 5 times within the last 15 years with severe snow/ice
Old 04-16-2013, 08:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
MBs
i've never used snow tires- I find that all seasons are just fine in allwheel drives..
21" for me is no issues, my other GL has 20" amgs with slightly bigger tires (285s instead of 265/275s)- again more rubber, no issues..
as for off road package- my perspective, for regular, deep snow, its a non issue with or without as the total height increase is about the same, without off road you only lose ability to adjust extra mode for slightly less height raise, full height raise seems to be exactly the same. Sport mode essentially the same in both- so in my opinion you'r not missing out on much unless you really go off roading (for which personally i would have a nice 4.0 jeep wrangler, yea i miss my old jeep... - instead of a 100K+ giant) so i didnt get off road in my 550.
i'm told snow tires make a great difference, but I only seem to note that folks without all wheel drive or only with rear wheel drive get them and are extremely happy with it- honestly with all wheel drive i dont think it makes a big difference, heck you'r gonna be driving slower anyway (i hope)
I had all seasons on my range rover and they were just fine too... I also dont feel getting 19s, then getting spacers to fill the wheel well and have tires come as far out as they need to, is unnecessary-- even here in the mid/north west.

for using on road- i believe its not recommended due to limitation of the driving speed. I accidentally pressed the height button while driving and a message came up- drive more slowly- i was like what the heck, then realized it wouldnt raise the height at higher speeds, even without off road package.. and obviously the braking would be directly affected by it too..

all said- i think you should be fine without off road package-- and for those wondering, the 21s with wider tires dont make a significant difference.. my 2cents.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
SLS Irridium silver,2014 GL350 BT Irridium, 2015 White Dodge RAM Hemi Quad
Here in Ottawa Canada, my wife's GL 350 has the optional 21" AMG wheels with the all season pirelli scorpion in 295. For the winter months, I bought the pirelli scorpion winter ice/snow tires in the same 295 and have no issue whatsoever. If you buunthe right winter rubber this will not be a problem. Also, just to addmmore food for thought, I did start the winter with the all seasons and they were not very good, they did not give you the confidence that the winter tires did. I didn't want to gamble with my wife and two kids during the snowy months.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2012 GL350 Avantguard
Originally Posted by 1st amg
Here in Ottawa Canada, my wife's GL 350 has the optional 21" AMG wheels with the all season pirelli scorpion in 295. For the winter months, I bought the pirelli scorpion winter ice/snow tires in the same 295 and have no issue whatsoever. If you buunthe right winter rubber this will not be a problem. Also, just to addmmore food for thought, I did start the winter with the all seasons and they were not very good, they did not give you the confidence that the winter tires did. I didn't want to gamble with my wife and two kids during the snowy months.
Agree 100%. The 21s are like toboggans for me here in AB (not so much it the traction but in breaking). I also got the scorpion ice and snow in 19s for winter and what a difference!! Well worth it for me ( our winters tend to be long here )
Old 04-17-2013, 02:12 AM

2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by lotuni
Agree 100%. The 21s are like toboggans for me here in AB (not so much it the traction but in breaking). I also got the scorpion ice and snow in 19s for winter and what a difference!! Well worth it for me ( our winters tend to be long here )
What is the size of snow tires in 19s?
Old 04-17-2013, 03:14 AM

2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by blittle
Nice to hear that someone has had good results with the bigger tires in the snow.....what tire brand are the 21"s ?
I hear you. All tire sites recommend smaller wheel, more rubber but narrower tire for snow. But is it practical here in SoCal for few weekends of ski resort driving specially the narrow part. My main concern on top of snow problem is going down the icy mountain road. I feel nothing will help except driving annoyingly slow for others. I am thinking about chains driving down the hill but I know it is a major PITA. This winter Highway Patrol made me put chains on my rear wheel drive BMW 550i going down the mountain and I was thanking the police in my mind (first time in my life But seriously I felt very safe after seeing unfortunate cars on the side of the road.
Are the chains even allowed on this car and if yes what kind?

Last edited by DrAA; 04-17-2013 at 04:06 AM. Reason: smaller wheel.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:27 AM

2023 EQS 580
Thanks to all for responding because my lack of experience in winter driving is a serious safety topic. Mountain residents have a name for drivers like me. Citidiot. I am trying to learn before next winter to avoid this.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2012 GL350 Avantguard
I have the 265/55/19 on oem 19 gl rims (they were pretty much brand new from ebay. Still had the oem sticker on the inside).

If you are going the winter tire route and plan to keep the gl for a while I would recommend different rims (especially if you plan to hit the mountains just every once in a while ). Easier to mount and take off rims as opposed to tires.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:54 AM

2023 EQS 580
Originally Posted by lotuni
I have the 265/55/19 on oem 19 gl rims (they were pretty much brand new from ebay. Still had the oem sticker on the inside).

If you are going the winter tire route and plan to keep the gl for a while I would recommend different rims (especially if you plan to hit the mountains just every once in a while ). Easier to mount and take off rims as opposed to tires.
Thanks. Ebay is a great idea. I know a lot of people including myself that as soon as they get any MB car they go for more aggressive looking bigger wheels so there must be many oem rims for my winter tires. few years ago I came across 4 MB rims for $400. I know, taking off the tires is pain. Plus somehow in my family tires get ruined every 10-12K miles anyway.