GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

2013 GL550 steel grey

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 07:23 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
08 E63 Arctic White/Black
2013 GL550 steel grey

Just traded in our '11 GL450 in steel grey on black for this '13 GL550 in steel grey on black. Really nice improvement in the generations, and from 450 to 550.

It has SPC items: anthracite poplar wood trim (black wood glossy), all black headliner (instead of the standard light gray that comes with black interiors) and rear sunshades. Below are some pics!

Old 05-11-2013, 07:30 PM

Old 05-11-2013, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
looks great, congrats!
Old 05-11-2013, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 280 Posts
23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
Beautiful ride!
Old 05-11-2013, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts
2014 S550 - SOLD, 2014 GL550 - SOLD, 2014 GL63 AMG, 2015 S63 AMG Sedan, 2015 S63 AMG Coupe
Looks AWESOME!!!
Thank you so much for some great pictures. Steel grey looks really good. Enjoy.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Beautiful GL - a couple of recommendations:

1) download the pdf of the Owner's manual and COMAND manual in searchable pdf from from mbusa.com - under owner's support - it's quite helpful - things like setting passenger side view mirror for reverse "dip" - little goodies hidden in there

2) register for Mercedes Owner's Online on mbusa.com site under Onwers Support - allows MB to email you directly on any updates/campaigns etc - rather than MB waiting for direct mail to get to you. No spam from this site. Also allows you to manage your mBrace and Sirius accounts easier.

3) mBrace - when you have time - use the "i" button on Brace to review/check your info registered with mBrace so that you know you have mBrace setup the way you want it.

4) if you are a iPhoe guy - download the iTunes store app - that app will be updated automatically over the next few months like Sept or so for some more interesting features

5) Program Roadside Assistance into your cell phone - and in the event your 550 is involved in addition to tow for mechical problems - please understand in the event of a accident where your 550 is "unsafe to drive" Roadside also provides free tow to nearest Mercedes Certified Collision Center which can save you out-of-pocket-tow-bucks in the event of that unfortunate accident situation

6) Sirius will shoot you promo's if you wait closer 1/2 weeks from expiration of your 6 month free trial. This always saves you a few scheckels.

7) check and consider adjusting tire pressures over the next few weeks - after about a week - 2lb +/1 can make a noticeable difference in "feel" - equal pressures front/rear - don't use the tire pressure monitor for this since it is by design very sensitive and will drive you crazy - a "good" tire pressure gauge - for another week/10-days - cycle thru alternate pressures over several drive periods until you know what pressure feels best for you - usually that will be a bit "up" from tire pressure inside fuel filler door and a bit "down" from where most dealers set on delivery

8) Meguiars "Quik Interior Detailer" (Cleaner) listed on Amazon dirt cheap $4 as a filler product I find makes a great interior dust/clean-up product (not overused) I am precise on the product title since Mequiars has a bunch of these Quik products and some are over-the-top with either too much goop or too heavy on fragrance.

9) Einszett Glanzwax (Sealant - Bl;uetop no abrasive) is a great product for sealant base coat on your new 550 nano-clearcoat - makes top add-on wax products much easier and longer lasting. On top of Ganzwax any nano-carnuba spray after a week can be used to add depth and luster. This combo is for the time-limited DIY since both apply wipe-on-wipe-off. Objective with Glanzwax is a thin even layer done one section at a time - let each section/haze sit for about 30 minutes for better bonding of the sealant coat. Great for wheels as well. Leave your tips sealant/wax free - haven't found the right product there yet.Eagle makes a good/affordable spray carnuba. Both Glanzwax and spray carnuba add up to like $30 on Amazon. After you work Glanzwax once - very thin liquid - you will love it. Frack any detailer using a buffer on your 550 - that's ancient tech with the newest nano-tech clear on your 550.

10) If you add front window tint - my recommendation is to pay a bit more for the new 3M Crystalline tint material - do a google for a installer near you, which in SoCal will be close. Amazing stuff really... knocks everything else straight dead.. some do sunroof as well, although sunroof applications for any tint aren't "warrantied" like windows are, although some specific installers using dirt cheap material may offer sunroof "warranty"

11) If you decide later to go to invisible bra - best material is 3M Venture Shield - and google 3M and call local installers until you find one that has experience that know/and-do hand-cut/apply for your 550. The computer cut kits for the complex 550 front end are all mousy as compared to the right hand-cut/hand-apply job - a good "hand job" takes a crew of two about 4 1/2 hrs - which my area runs about $750 installed by the #1 3M certified shop

12) MB's 3yr 30K mile prepaid maintenance is a realistic worry-free savings at $805 MSRP - as long as that is purcahsed BEFORE 10K service check-in you are good - you can phone/email dealers to shop for best savings off MSRP - as l;ong as they get it loaded into your 550's NetStar "VMI" BEFORE 10K service checkin. The current 40K sucks - since it's priced at 40K with a tranny service that is not required for your 7G+ tranny, but that can't get backed out. Before 30K you just bite back in for another 30K pack, at 70K that's when you have tranny service.

I couldn't quite see if you have Distronic Plus or not - if you don't - internal MB chatter has Mercedes negotiating with DOT for future "running light" approval for the illuminated Star for the GL and CLS - if they do get DOT approval to redo the programming - at/about $1000 another way nifty to consider down the road a bit.

Enjoy your 550 - it's a awesome SUV - King of the Road right now for sure !

Keep the beat !
Old 05-11-2013, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GL 450
Which tint company does the stock Mercedes GL have?

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Beautiful GL - a couple of recommendations:

1) download the pdf of the Owner's manual and COMAND manual in searchable pdf from from mbusa.com - under owner's support - it's quite helpful - things like setting passenger side view mirror for reverse "dip" - little goodies hidden in there

2) register for Mercedes Owner's Online on mbusa.com site under Onwers Support - allows MB to email you directly on any updates/campaigns etc - rather than MB waiting for direct mail to get to you. No spam from this site. Also allows you to manage your mBrace and Sirius accounts easier.

3) mBrace - when you have time - use the "i" button on Brace to review/check your info registered with mBrace so that you know you have mBrace setup the way you want it.

4) if you are a iPhoe guy - download the iTunes store app - that app will be updated automatically over the next few months like Sept or so for some more interesting features

5) Program Roadside Assistance into your cell phone - and in the event your 550 is involved in addition to tow for mechical problems - please understand in the event of a accident where your 550 is "unsafe to drive" Roadside also provides free tow to nearest Mercedes Certified Collision Center which can save you out-of-pocket-tow-bucks in the event of that unfortunate accident situation

6) Sirius will shoot you promo's if you wait closer 1/2 weeks from expiration of your 6 month free trial. This always saves you a few scheckels.

7) check and consider adjusting tire pressures over the next few weeks - after about a week - 2lb +/1 can make a noticeable difference in "feel" - equal pressures front/rear - don't use the tire pressure monitor for this since it is by design very sensitive and will drive you crazy - a "good" tire pressure gauge - for another week/10-days - cycle thru alternate pressures over several drive periods until you know what pressure feels best for you - usually that will be a bit "up" from tire pressure inside fuel filler door and a bit "down" from where most dealers set on delivery

8) Meguiars "Quik Interior Detailer" (Cleaner) listed on Amazon dirt cheap $4 as a filler product I find makes a great interior dust/clean-up product (not overused) I am precise on the product title since Mequiars has a bunch of these Quik products and some are over-the-top with either too much goop or too heavy on fragrance.

9) Einszett Glanzwax (Sealant - Bl;uetop no abrasive) is a great product for sealant base coat on your new 550 nano-clearcoat - makes top add-on wax products much easier and longer lasting. On top of Ganzwax any nano-carnuba spray after a week can be used to add depth and luster. This combo is for the time-limited DIY since both apply wipe-on-wipe-off. Objective with Glanzwax is a thin even layer done one section at a time - let each section/haze sit for about 30 minutes for better bonding of the sealant coat. Great for wheels as well. Leave your tips sealant/wax free - haven't found the right product there yet.Eagle makes a good/affordable spray carnuba. Both Glanzwax and spray carnuba add up to like $30 on Amazon. After you work Glanzwax once - very thin liquid - you will love it. Frack any detailer using a buffer on your 550 - that's ancient tech with the newest nano-tech clear on your 550.

10) If you add front window tint - my recommendation is to pay a bit more for the new 3M Crystalline tint material - do a google for a installer near you, which in SoCal will be close. Amazing stuff really... knocks everything else straight dead.. some do sunroof as well, although sunroof applications for any tint aren't "warrantied" like windows are, although some specific installers using dirt cheap material may offer sunroof "warranty"

11) If you decide later to go to invisible bra - best material is 3M Venture Shield - and google 3M and call local installers until you find one that has experience that know/and-do hand-cut/apply for your 550. The computer cut kits for the complex 550 front end are all mousy as compared to the right hand-cut/hand-apply job - a good "hand job" takes a crew of two about 4 1/2 hrs - which my area runs about $750 installed by the #1 3M certified shop

12) MB's 3yr 30K mile prepaid maintenance is a realistic worry-free savings at $805 MSRP - as long as that is purcahsed BEFORE 10K service check-in you are good - you can phone/email dealers to shop for best savings off MSRP - as l;ong as they get it loaded into your 550's NetStar "VMI" BEFORE 10K service checkin. The current 40K sucks - since it's priced at 40K with a tranny service that is not required for your 7G+ tranny, but that can't get backed out. Before 30K you just bite back in for another 30K pack, at 70K that's when you have tranny service.

I couldn't quite see if you have Distronic Plus or not - if you don't - internal MB chatter has Mercedes negotiating with DOT for future "running light" approval for the illuminated Star for the GL and CLS - if they do get DOT approval to redo the programming - at/about $1000 another way nifty to consider down the road a bit.

Enjoy your 550 - it's a awesome SUV - King of the Road right now for sure !

Keep the beat !
Old 05-11-2013, 10:53 PM

thanks everyone. early Mothers Day present for me

thanks Fab for those suggestions. will certainly use them. need to figure out a few things after driving it home. didn't spend too much time at the dealer. pretty much empty out the old one and get in the new one

drove 59 mi back home and fiddled w/ the massage seats while stuck in traffic. it was actually really neat. i might actually use that more than i expected.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:01 PM

BTW, i'm still working on the child seat issue. pretty much every 450 and 550 our there come with the power easy entry. ours does too.

i fiddled with our first child seat and it was fairly successful based on the forums' members' suggestions. i had to "rest" the headrest on top of the carseat. our child seats have side impact protection wings so the headrest was pushing the SIP wings forward while the back of the seat was "tucked" between the headrest and the seat back. to make it so that his head wasn't too upright, i reclined the second row seat to the furthest position and that seems to make it the correct angle (or at least what he is used to).

it is definitely NOT ideal, but i think it might do the trick and doesn't seem to interfere with my son's comfort or positioning. the headrest on there looks funky, but there's just no other way, and it takes some shimmying to get it tucked properly.

i'll take some pics of that tomorrow after we put the other Britax Boulevard in.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:55 AM

07 S550
looks great, like the rear shades!! congrats & enjoy!!!
Old 05-12-2013, 01:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
MBs
congrats! looks sweet..
Old 05-12-2013, 10:45 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo, 2020 GLC 63, 2014 Audi S6, 2014 GL63; past 2019 M5 and 2011 E63
Wamochi

Congrats! And thanks for the photos. That is a sharp combination. The steel grey really glistens in the sun. And I like the interior combo as well. Hope you have many years of happy motoring!

Fab, thanks also for the new owner tips! I will use some of those as well when we get ours.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Thanks for the complement - last count I've delivered quite a gaggle of GL550's - awesome truck - way under-reviewed/way-underappreciated/heck-of-value.

No report on the router - customer hasn't used that one yet - no Star install yet - several 3M Venture shield/hand-cut with craftsmanship is great - 3M Crystalline film was great side/sunroof, one customer with clear Crystalline windshield/different - a couple customer with clear Crystalline in side windows very-very UV baby conscious - one guy has a hacked Fat 32 500GB 2.5in hard drive in the data/USB port for his Cuban music passion - cross bars and the Space Shuttle MB cargo rack carriers on a couple for extended family summer trips - a pair of Designo's w/B&O's His and Her's Tuxedo pair Daimond White-D-Porcelain and Obsidian Black-D-Black both Piano - about four Off-Road (bad name) combo w/Active Curve out there..

My customers couldn't be happier with their GL550's - except my 1st - 3rd GL550 delivered in the US, that was delivery Day 2 - my guy was tied up Day one - Diamond White/black -Vance left out the paper Owner's Manual - took like 90 days to get the replacement from MB - his wife was really miffed at me on that one !

One came in from Vance with inner bent front wheel and micro-crack my guys discovered when they spotted the inner bend - fracking upstream MB corp fest getting replacement wheel FedEx's in from Germany.

Haven't done a tune yet - I will not to a tune for delivery - my personal advice if for my customers to wait until after K miles for minimum breakin before pulling that trigger - for their piece of mind - and no one has come back for a tune yet - still have some Euro friends shaking that down right, and they're not finished yet.

Keep the beat !
Old 06-08-2013, 04:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL
Is it possible to get this Steel Grey color in Canada? Or is it the same as tenorite grey?
Old 06-10-2013, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by asb123
Is it possible to get this Steel Grey color in Canada? Or is it the same as tenorite grey?
Yes they call it tenorite grey in Canada. The color code is 755 for both names.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:14 AM

13 ML63, 13 GTR, 16 Tesla X
What was the additional cost for the anthracite poplar trim? I'm looking at one with the standard walnut, and I'd like to have it all swapped out.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
VERY nice!! Fab's suggestion #9 re: wax is 100% on! Did it on my Gl450 and it is and does as advertised!
Old 06-11-2013, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by PianoProdigy
What was the additional cost for the anthracite poplar trim? I'm looking at one with the standard walnut, and I'd like to have it all swapped out.
It's "free" but any car that has one or more SPC special order items adds $250 flat fee to the MSRP. Wood trim swap and black headliner, for instance, are $0. Whereas the rear sunshade special order item adds another $380 (on top of the $250).

I have no idea how much it would cost to swap out after the fact! Probably $$$$$ unless you found someone who wanted to trade. So better to find one that has it already.