GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

COMAND system won't turn on - 6 days old and 250 mi

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 04:18 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
08 E63 Arctic White/Black
COMAND system won't turn on - 6 days old and 250 mi

my COMAND system hasn't turned on in the last 5 starts TODAY. i have been out running errands and grabbing lunch with my boys and each time it just was a black screen. "ON" button in center of controls doesn't do anything, the wheel turning or pressing of the button doesn't do anything either.

no access to radio, telephone, navigation, seat controls, backup camera, etc, etc. you also cannot access anything from the dash display, it just shows "-----" on the screens for Audio, Tel and Navi

has this happened to anyone else? at first i thought it was just a one time glitch because my 2011 GL COMAND was glitchy at times but would start right back up after it was restarted.

i did a quick search and didn't see a whole lot but in other models, there was some mention that the COMAND system had to be replaced entirely. i will be really disappointed if that is the case ...
Old 05-17-2013, 08:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
MBs
more than likely its a blown fuse- check the fuse box (i'm not sure where it'l be for this) but there is a box under the rear left passenger seat..
hopefully a quick n easy fix
Old 05-18-2013, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Frack the fuse chase - yes - it has/does happened on "rare" occasions across several models with COMAND including S's - only the dealer can diagnose - when the MB it is connected to MB diagnostics - shop can "call down" a reboot - if the reboot doesn't work then they order in/replace the COMAND unit
Old 05-18-2013, 11:46 AM

i stopped by the dealership at 2:30p Friday and their tech guy looked at it for 30 seconds and said it was dead. so the COMAND unit needs to be replaced

the SA said it was too late to order parts Friday so Monday they will order it so the repair won't be completed until Wednesday of next week. he said i could take the GL home for the weekend but i just left it there and took a loaner instead because we have no radio, phone or camera capabilities at all in the GL.

this is very disappointing. i want to write to MB USA and ask for some type of compensation. it's ridiculous that the new car is out of use for a week in the first 2 weeks of ownership.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by wamochi
i stopped by the dealership at 2:30p Friday and their tech guy looked at it for 30 seconds and said it was dead. so the COMAND unit needs to be replaced

the SA said it was too late to order parts Friday so Monday they will order it so the repair won't be completed until Wednesday of next week. he said i could take the GL home for the weekend but i just left it there and took a loaner instead because we have no radio, phone or camera capabilities at all in the GL.

this is very disappointing. i want to write to MB USA and ask for some type of compensation. it's ridiculous that the new car is out of use for a week in the first 2 weeks of ownership.
I feel your pain and frustration ..... that being said, ANYTHING man made is capable of failing ( sometimes right out of the box - so to speak )...odds are that it won't , but it can. The amount of money spent on something ups the odds in OUR favor but does NOT prevent the event. Prime example: multi millions spent on a space craft that fails within the first hour of flight..... it has happened.

MB makes a fine product.....but it is not perfect....nothing is. They will make it right.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
wamo - you dealer is shooting straight, on very "rare" occasions I have seen a COMAND system go dead.. by rare I literally mean in fraction of 1% range, to let you know your dealer did 1000% the right thing and prioritized that shipment to overnite delivery, and scheduled 1st morning appt.. the COMAND is a singular unit and dealer is not equipped in any fashion to ascertain true nature of the COMAND failure, it will take a dedicated tech about 4+ committed hours to do the full mechanical and re-syncing process, and requires review/sign-off of shop manager, with the nature of this failure none of the setting or coding can be transferred out of the old unit.

I would suggest on pickup that you confirm both SIRIUS and mbrace are fully functional - you will resync your phone, check to verify COMAND navigation and SIRIUS, including weather - are all operational as well... your dealer "should" run thru all of that before you pick up - but good thing to double check on pickup so all is to the good for you.

From my side, I have never seen a 2nd/reoccurence in the same vehicle.

Keep the faith !
Old 05-19-2013, 06:32 PM

thanks Fab for the information. do they have to pull the entire unit out from the inside of the car? i'm nervous there will be damage to the surrounding areas or dash ... i'll have to inspect carefully upon pickup.

also thanks for the heads-up on checking sirius and the like. i will make sure they run through all of that with me before i leave.

i realize that there are going to be one-off instances of defects, however that doesn't mean that MB should not take responsibility for those. in my case, i always lease my cars so i pay "rent" to have them for 36 months, so any extended repair out of the regular scheduled maintenance or regular wear and tear (i.e., brake pads, etc.) unfairly cost the customer money. so if my "rent" comes out to $40-$50 per day, and the extended repair is 6 days, i'm out $300 in rent.

of course you can argue that they gave me a loaner to use, but come on - the car is 6 days old and a GLK is (1) not nearly in the same car class as a GL and (2) the size of the GLK is substantially smaller. i am fortunate i only have two young boys and have a second car with extra child seats, but what if i had 4 kids and the GL is my only ride?

either way, the failure of COMAND, even in a hypothetical .00001% of units shipped, should be investigated by MB and the customer should be made whole. i'm going to talk to my salesperson tomorrow and see about contacting MB corporate.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Frack the salesman - thats sales side and has nothing to do with warranty/service side.

The pull/reinstall is tedious but no sweat - it will be perfect.

Under "goodwill" the warranty/service side can offer to make you happy in one form or another - merchandise credit - service credit - stuff like that - then all to the good.

If not-good then call MB Customer Service 8AM-10PM Mon-Fri (800) 367-6372

I "think" it should be option 4 followed by Option 5 on the automated menu to get you where you would want to be.

Weds night this should all be behind you..
Old 05-20-2013, 04:17 PM

so here's the update at 1pm Monday:

SA just called and said the tech got in the GL this morning and COMAND was working. however, since both the tech guy and SA personally witnessed it Friday (in addition to my 6-7 earlier attempts at restarting the car with no luck), they researched the problem and came across a few other similar cases and said MB had shipped COMAND software updates to dealers to correct the problem.

so they've installed the software update and re-tested it and all seems to be ok for now ...

going to pick it up in a few hours. i am glad i stopped in on Friday and they saw it, otherwise it would have been a case of he said she said ...
Old 05-20-2013, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
honda
I had the same issue with the command center behaving erratically. I was unable to reproduce the issue at the dealer...but was able to show them some print shots. They upgraded the software and haven't seen the issue so far.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by wamochi
so here's the update at 1pm Monday:

SA just called and said the tech got in the GL this morning and COMAND was working. however, since both the tech guy and SA personally witnessed it Friday (in addition to my 6-7 earlier attempts at restarting the car with no luck), they researched the problem and came across a few other similar cases and said MB had shipped COMAND software updates to dealers to correct the problem.

so they've installed the software update and re-tested it and all seems to be ok for now ...

going to pick it up in a few hours. i am glad i stopped in on Friday and they saw it, otherwise it would have been a case of he said she said ...
Sounds good! Tis the "electronic world" we live in today! I once owned a 2004 VW Touareg..... one day it was dead, could not get anything to power up..... walked away from the car and IT STARTED ITSELF!!!!
Old 05-20-2013, 08:01 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
Yes. There is a command upgrade to address cold boot.

Last edited by alx; 05-20-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A gaggle of MB's
Your unit "coming back on" gave them the opportunity to reload the software - takes about 2 hrs - and if the software reload works - then all to the good.

There have been "rare" cases where it's a electronics issue - and if it is that - that should show up in the next few days.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GL350BT
My "Assist not activated" warning was on since car was new. Perhaps I missed something in orientation 101, but I recall SA saying this should clear within 48 hours and be activated. I know he set me up in MBrace and we set up a PIN.

Nothing cleared two weeks later, I tried pushing one of the three buttons for sos, mechanic, info and nada. Called my SA and he advised I would need to swing by for a quick 5 min service call. In and out.

3 hours later (I had them drop me and my family off at a local mall) they had it ready. Said it would take 48 hours to activate, if not give them a shout. On my way home I just pushed the concierge button and voila, nice lady on the phone asked for my PIN and I said I was just testing.

Service said the SA never set it up properly?

WTF??? At least they gave me a free car wash, so all is good.