GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Rear Seat Entetertainment Pre-Wire

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 03:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS63 AMG
Rear Seat Entetertainment Pre-Wire

Does anyone know exactly what comes with the pre-wire or have a picture of the connections? I am trying to get a sense of whether you can use other aftermarket monitors and use the pre-wire for power and connecting with the command unit for controls or if you HAVE TO USE MB monitors due to some kind of proprietary connections, etc.

Thanks.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:55 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
If you get prewire you'll have the ability for dealer to install factory DVD system and screens and control all from front COMAND. Doesn't prevent aftermarket but can't "automatically" integrate aftermarket with prewire. It would take a specialty shop and then it would still not be the factory solution.
Additionally, as I understand it, if you wanted to get wiring for iPads, you can't have prewire OR entertainment.
Would welcome others input as I have just given dealer my spec sheet for new '14 build and left off both entertain and prewire bc I think I'd rather just have the kids use iPads.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS63 AMG
Originally Posted by carpersn
If you get prewire you'll have the ability for dealer to install factory DVD system and screens and control all from front COMAND. Doesn't prevent aftermarket but can't "automatically" integrate aftermarket with prewire. It would take a specialty shop and then it would still not be the factory solution.
Additionally, as I understand it, if you wanted to get wiring for iPads, you can't have prewire OR entertainment.
Would welcome others input as I have just given dealer my spec sheet for new '14 build and left off both entertain and prewire bc I think I'd rather just have the kids use iPads.
Actually, I am pretty sure that in order to use the Mercedes iPad headrest mounts (ones they sell for $400 each) and have the ability to also charge the iPad you MUST have the rear seat entertainment pre-wire? That is what I was told when I ordered mine and is why I ordered the pre-wire. I am probably going to have the monitors put in (Mercedes ones) so I can control for sure through command center and then my kids can always use iPads as well if they chose but they will just have to hold them.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
I am not trying to sell anything here....the Mercedes iPad holders (both charging and non-charging) accept "naked iPads" - meaning without any protective case. To their credit the Mercedes iPad holders - both type - are solidly constructed/very good product -and as Mercedes accessories come with a 2yr warranty.

Pre-wiring at $170 is almost a no brainer due to low cost - but I have only had one customer take advantage off it - with the high cost of the dealer-added rear DVD's - but again covered by Accessory 2yr - I have only had one customer that really-really needed to have DVD and had to add-on.

Actually, my customers who have built two did take order rear entertainment - note the factory system is covered by 4yr new car warranty - and/or if CPO covered under CPO warranty (most other manuf do not cover rear entertainment under their respective CPO programs/warrantied).

In both cases these customers wanted DVD as "punishment" - meaning for use only when their children were acting up and had to have their iPads pulled back as punishment.

Interesting world we live in...

Personally I like holders - since with head up less possibility of motion sickness as compared to head-down/lap use.

With holders best to get headphone cable extensions - which like on eBay and such are cheap - most of the earbuds at this moment have relatively short cords -with the extensions much easier to listen by earbud/headphones...

Keep the beat !
Old 05-23-2013, 07:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
08 E63 Arctic White/Black
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
I am not trying to sell anything here....the Mercedes iPad holders (both charging and non-charging) accept "naked iPads" - meaning without any protective case. To their credit the Mercedes iPad holders - both type - are solidly constructed/very good product -and as Mercedes accessories come with a 2yr warranty.

Pre-wiring at $170 is almost a no brainer due to low cost - but I have only had one customer take advantage off it - with the high cost of the dealer-added rear DVD's - but again covered by Accessory 2yr - I have only had one customer that really-really needed to have DVD and had to add-on.

Actually, my customers who have built two did take order rear entertainment - note the factory system is covered by 4yr new car warranty - and/or if CPO covered under CPO warranty (most other manuf do not cover rear entertainment under their respective CPO programs/warrantied).

In both cases these customers wanted DVD as "punishment" - meaning for use only when their children were acting up and had to have their iPads pulled back as punishment.

Interesting world we live in...

Personally I like holders - since with head up less possibility of motion sickness as compared to head-down/lap use.

With holders best to get headphone cable extensions - which like on eBay and such are cheap - most of the earbuds at this moment have relatively short cords -with the extensions much easier to listen by earbud/headphones...

Keep the beat !
fab, for the connected charging ipad mounts, is it removable? we would only be using it a few times for road trips and it looks pretty bulky and ugly when nothing is in them...
Old 05-30-2013, 05:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
^Stationary. You can take the iPads out, obviously, but the frames would still be up.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 GL550, 2019 GLC350e
Anyone had the DVD installed at the dealer with the pre-wire package. Could this be a DIY project?

Just picked up a 2013 with the pre-wire and haven't got a reply from the dealer yet about the cost on the system and labor charge.

I also saw this alternative option, which I like since I don't really need the sound to be played through the sound system. I know the integrated DVD system requires dealer to install and program agains the COMMAND unit. Not sure if the "portable" one also requires it since it doesn't integrate with the unit and probably only draws power from the pre-wire harness.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-GL-Class-166-Mercedes-Benz-OEM-Rear-Seat-Entertainment-System-/380613980954?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item589e5c731a&vxp=mtr

Last edited by SFML320; 07-24-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
I was told it was a 3-4 hour dealer installation. I was quoted $1750 at one dealer and $2000 at another.
Old 12-17-2019, 07:03 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2011 mercedes e350
2013 Mercedes ML350

How can I tell if my 2013 ML350 is pre-wired for rear entertainment?

my VIN#4JGDA5HBXDA127691
Old 12-18-2019, 02:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Asj=k your Mercedes Dealer Parts Dept..