GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Video streaming possible, not DVD Playback?

Old 06-19-2013, 11:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Video streaming possible, not DVD Playback?

Stumped with a customer, so I thought I would ask you guys out here... anyone able to play videos via their iPod, iPad, phone etc... on the GL comand unit. No rear seat entertainment. I know it has to be parked, but thought there should be a way to play videos other than the DVD changer.

Thanks.
Jason
Old 06-20-2013, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Apple has their own contraints on exporting video to the system, I personally have not seen that done yet..... however MP4 files using SD card or USB I have seen that done, you can try/test that yourself... iPhone export music files MP# works well on SD/USB as well
Old 11-04-2013, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GL 350
I would be intersted in knowing if video playback via Iphone 5s (or any phone) is possible.

I have the glovebox media interface cable. I purchased a lightning connector converter. Of course, audio comes, but no video. Car is on park and e brake is on.

I also have AUX selection on the video tab of the comand system. I assume this would be the place to see the video from the physically connected device. Lets assume iphone doesnt play nice. What is the AUX for? We have no rear seat entertainment.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:41 AM

GL450
Originally Posted by OzFl
I would be intersted in knowing if video playback via Iphone 5s (or any phone) is possible.

I have the glovebox media interface cable. I purchased a lightning connector converter. Of course, audio comes, but no video. Car is on park and e brake is on.

I also have AUX selection on the video tab of the comand system. I assume this would be the place to see the video from the physically connected device. Lets assume iphone doesnt play nice. What is the AUX for? We have no rear seat entertainment.
How much was the glove box interface? Is this what you have the drive kit plus?http://drive-kit-plus.com/en/#s/video/media
Old 11-05-2013, 11:26 AM
Cz7

2014 GL450, Cad Escalade ESV
Haven't got our GL yet to try anything out, but I'd be interested in the answer to this, too. Is the AUX just an audio input?

We skipped the rear seat system in favor of the new 8.9 Kindle HDX, which will allow us to play the movies we own plus now you can download a streaming movie (free through Prime or by purchasing a new rental release) and watch it offline. That way we won't have to mess with DVD's and will have HD resolution. For movies I already own on DVD, I've ripped them to a digital file. I got a gripdaddy center arm holder (for rear passengers) that someone suggested on this forum. For the front seat passenger, I got a soft weighted holder if I want to prop up my other Kindle or my iPad to watch. I got the Belkin five way splitter for the rear passengers to use their own earbuds, or else my husband and I can wear earbuds if we don't want to listen. Hope we'll like that setup.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:32 PM

2014 GL 350
Originally Posted by Mstyle76
How much was the glove box interface? Is this what you have the drive kit plus?http://drive-kit-plus.com/en/#s/video/media
I didnt even know this "drive kit plus" until you mentioned.

I was only referring to the cable that came with the GL. It is a cable with split end. One end goes into the GL armrest compartment, and the other end has non lightning Apple connector and RCA input.

I hoped that simply buying a lightning adapter, and connecting it would allow me to watch video. I know that Video on Motion is not possible and I also tried it when the vehicle was on Park and Brake was engaged.

Coming back to this "drive kit plus" I will ask to my sales assistant because I need to go there tomorrow anyway for a quick door handle fix.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:11 PM

GL450
Originally Posted by OzFl
I didnt even know this "drive kit plus" until you mentioned.

I was only referring to the cable that came with the GL. It is a cable with split end. One end goes into the GL armrest compartment, and the other end has non lightning Apple connector and RCA input.

I hoped that simply buying a lightning adapter, and connecting it would allow me to watch video. I know that Video on Motion is not possible and I also tried it when the vehicle was on Park and Brake was engaged.

Coming back to this "drive kit plus" I will ask to my sales assistant because I need to go there tomorrow anyway for a quick door handle fix.
Yes let me know what the dealer tells you. Also any picture of the wire? Mine came with one and I used a older iPhone4 pin connector and no video playback. I installed the Video Navi kit from Mid City Engineering and it does work well and was extremely easy. I can walk you through it too. There was also a DIY video on how to install it via a different brand, it's on YouTube.