GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Easy Entry Moveable Headrest in '14 GL 450

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GL450
Thank you...issue is that removing clip and headrests is not a proper fix. The headrests need to be replaced with the ones that swirl back not forward...called dealer the each headrest cost almost $400 (part only). Point is that MB should fix the EZ-Entry design and take care of all new GL owners with this issue. there is no need to have the headsets swirl forward almost 5" out of a set...if not for the fact that am not the only one having this issue...I would looked at it and think someone in factory put the headsets upside down...funny.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:07 AM

2013 BMW 550ix
Another forum member was able to accomplish what you need. They had the dealer remove "pins" that prevented the bottom of the headrest from pivoting backward so that the face of the headrest was flush with the seat.

These "pins" accomplish what you want. Removing the "clips" (entirely different) only accomplishes the ability to remove the headrest entirely.

Read the last several posts on the last page of this thread for additional information and a few pictures that show the result he was able to achieve:

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...eadrest-5.html

Your point that MB is turning a blind eye to this is well taken, however, and it is a shame they can't just come out and resolve the issue. I have never owned an MB (if I order a GL, it will be my first) but I have owned a few BMW's and some other car makes (to rename nameless ) and I will say that this sort of treatment worries me a bit that they will be like this with other problems with the vehicle should they arise.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:24 PM

2013 GL450
Thank you Cordoor for your input. I will look into "pin" fix and see if will work.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 GL 350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Ppanko01
GL2013 same issue with 2nd row headrests. My 5 and 7 year old kids can't sit straight. Called MB to start aformal complaint...make a long story short...they told me to "get lost". Called DOT sefty department to report... They told me to check for those issues before buying a car...lovely...no help there either. Anyway, the second row headrests design with EZ-Entry option is a joke. If you have children, they will not be able to sit straight...mine kids are sitting with their heads tilted almost 45 deg either to the left or the right of the center of the sets Well praying each day not to get into any accident as their sefty belt is also improperly attached due to their sitting position. Have anyone over 6' tall tried to seet in the second row with EZ-Entry option? I bet tall folks will have issue with the headrests as well.

Like the car, but this is the last MB I will own. I was getting ready to buy 2014 S class in a couple of months, but with this horible MB costumer support it is not going to happen...Should spend $145k and get my dream car - Maserati GT convertible instead of GL and keep my 4 years old MDX.
Did you just purchase the car? If so, talk to the dealer where you purchased from. When I noticed the problem the night I took it home, then I brought it in the next day to show them. I showed them how it was bad for my 6 year old and pushed his head forward. I also had the 6'3" manager sit in the back, and it hit his back toward his neck in a bad place. He totally agreed with me and had it fixed, no questions asked, and I didn't have to pay a dime. They removed the pins. The headrest swivels forward if I need, but sits flush with the seat when pushed back. Mine is a 2014 though. It is a safety issue.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:44 PM

2013 GL450
Originally Posted by Ntuck
Did you just purchase the car? If so, talk to the dealer where you purchased from. When I noticed the problem the night I took it home, then I brought it in the next day to show them. I showed them how it was bad for my 6 year old and pushed his head forward. I also had the 6'3" manager sit in the back, and it hit his back toward his neck in a bad place. He totally agreed with me and had it fixed, no questions asked, and I didn't have to pay a dime. They removed the pins. The headrest swivels forward if I need, but sits flush with the seat when pushed back. Mine is a 2014 though. It is a safety issue.
Got the GL back in June...noticed the headrest issue a couple of weeks later as my kids started complain (is my wife/ kids car) I am due to visit the delearship as I have problems with iPad docking stations and the A/C stopped working for a day and then it chose to work again....and to address some other small issues. I will ask them to remove the pin, but I have a feeling they will try to avoid it as much as possible. I am already waiting over two months for them to fix the power issue on iPads docking stations. Once again, I am not impressed with MB customer service....so far the worst I have experience comparing to others luxury car manufactures. Need to take care of those headrests issue that's for sure