GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Any ideas re: negotiation tactics to save on my new GL?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB GLS 580
Any ideas re: negotiation tactics to save on my new GL?

My GL will arrive in 10 days (ordered).

I have the USAA discount, but I am unsure how to get the dealer to give me an additional $2-4K off.

Any advice?

Many thanks in advance!
Old 08-14-2013, 06:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GL350BT
If you ordered it, signed the order, and paid a deposit, what motivation does the dealer have to give anything more than the $2,000 USAA incentive?

Clearly these vehicles are in high demand, they can't seem to keep them on the lot yet alone get their hands on them.

Your only bargaining chip is to walk away and forfeit your deposit I would assume.

In my case I had signed an order for a 2013 which they couldn't provide me, so I got a 2014 at 2013 price, and whatever the USAA discount was the day it was delivered, which was $2k vs. the $3k for the 2013.

Then I had to twist their arms on my trade-in as they were trying to low ball me there as well. I had a trade in I felt was worth no less than $10k and they offered me $8k. I balked and said i could go sell it at CarMax for $10k right now. They countered with $9,500 and I got to take the 6%sales tax write off. Saved me from having to go through another set of dealings.

Unless their sales are hurting I just don't see you have much bargaining power, but please do try and let us know how you do!
Old 08-14-2013, 06:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
08 E63 Arctic White/Black
depends on the inventory at the dealer at the time and how motivated they are to move cars, but i agree with the previous poster that if you just walk away they will attempt to sell it to the next customer in line.

if they have like 10 unsold 450's on the lot, then you should have better luck.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:28 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2021 GLS580 all black. 2014 GLK black (kids car). formerly: 2014 GL550 Palladium Silver (US)
My MY14 GL550 is ordered, expected late Oct. It was originally slated for for Dec.

They started to negotiate at the time of the order ($1,000 was offered) but when I mentioned USAA, they said ...good. We'll go with that. They copied our USAA card and everything. I'm not a good negotiator and they can't get the cars, so unless I wanted one of the many tens of MLs or MLKs on their lot, I was happy with the USAA price.

I will try to negotiate on maintenance and may want the extended warranty.
They already told me I won't be happy with the trade in offer. I plan to stop by within a week to get an estimate, but I also have a family member that might be interested. BMW includes maintenance and I really liked the convenience, but am disappointed it's not included.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:58 PM

2014 GL350BT
Originally Posted by cincy8
My MY14 GL550 is ordered, expected late Oct. It was originally slated for for Dec.

They started to negotiate at the time of the order ($1,000 was offered) but when I mentioned USAA, they said ...good. We'll go with that. They copied our USAA card and everything. I'm not a good negotiator and they can't get the cars, so unless I wanted one of the many tens of MLs or MLKs on their lot, I was happy with the USAA price.

I will try to negotiate on maintenance and may want the extended warranty.
They already told me I won't be happy with the trade in offer. I plan to stop by within a week to get an estimate, but I also have a family member that might be interested. BMW includes maintenance and I really liked the convenience, but am disappointed it's not included.
Cincy8, be sure and get your "Certficate" from the USAA Car Buyers site. If you are getting your car loan through USAA they will knock off 0.25% to 0.5% the APR, which is already at 1.99% with a 0.25% discount for having auto payment from your banking account.

I got $65k for 60 months at 1.49%.

My USAA Discount was the $2k plus some additional $700 or so for the options I added.

Not fantatsic but I think still a good deal on a car that I'm sure they could have sold in a day at MSRP without even trying.

I didn't get the impression they were negotiating on the extended warranty or maintenance. They laid it out, I declined, and we moved on.

All of the cars I've bought the last (7) years or so I ordered on line through their internet sales department, so no haggling once at the dealer, which I really hate playing that game.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Flyingman; 08-14-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
At the beginning of a new model year - with limited production availability - "discounts" are hard earned. If you want a 2014 next May-June-July slightly different story.

That said I would have had a trade-in estimate at time of order - leaving that back door wide open really means you are at a disadvantage.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB GLS 580
Many thanks

Great stuff!

I have not put a deposit down, etc., but realize my leverage is limited/non-existant

Learned this AM my car arrives tomorrow and picking it up on Sat.

Again, many thx!
Old 08-15-2013, 10:19 AM

GL550
I always live by the rule that it can't hurt to ask. Search this forum for others have received as data you can use. May be tough if they didn't committ to something up front. Good luck!