GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

New Poster- GL550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL 550
New Poster- GL550

HI folks- sorry for the newbie thread. I've got some questions about the '13 GL550.

My wife and I are just about to purchase a new one from our local dealer (its actually the GM's demo vehicle, with about 800 miles on it). We are coming from an '08 Escalade (smaller one, not the ESV). Anyways, the Caddy has been good to us for 5 years, though recently started to run into some issues, causing repair bills etc, hence we started looking at MB. We've already put a deposit on the 550, but then I started to research the internet regarding their reliability. Any thoughts for a new to be 550 owner prior to pulling the trigger on Wednesday? Is this just "at the altar" anxiousness?

I should mention that we also have an '09 e350 with AMG package, and haven't had any problems with it what so ever.

The GL550 that we are looking at is pretty well packed, with Designo Leather and pretty much every other bell and whistle.

FYI- we also have 4 small children, so need the big hauler.

Thanks
Old 08-19-2013, 11:37 AM

2013 BMW 550ix
I'm not a GL owner yet. Still lurking and reading to find out what I can before deciding to pull the trigger.

I would suggest reading this thread about the head rests if the GL you are looking to purchase has the middle row seats that fold at the push of a button:

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...-headrest.html

You may have to skip a few pages of the thread to get to the meat, but the gist of it is this: On vehicles with the push button folding middle seats, the bottom of the head rest does not move back so that the head rest is flush with the seat (there are pictures of this in the thread). This causes problems for people sitting in those seats.

The solution appears to be to not order the push button feature. But not ordering this feature means manually folding the seat, and if you have a six year old trying to get to the third row like we do, this may be a problem. I know it would be annoying for us since we are coming from an Odyssey, so we currently do nothing to help our kids get into and out of the car.

It is this very problem that has delayed our deciding to buy a GL (and, in fact, it is likely at this point we will never buy one unless they fix this head rest issue).
Old 08-19-2013, 12:29 PM

GL 550
Originally Posted by cordoor
I'm not a GL owner yet. Still lurking and reading to find out what I can before deciding to pull the trigger.

I would suggest reading this thread about the head rests if the GL you are looking to purchase has the middle row seats that fold at the push of a button:

https://mbworld.org/forums/gl-class-...-headrest.html

You may have to skip a few pages of the thread to get to the meat, but the gist of it is this: On vehicles with the push button folding middle seats, the bottom of the head rest does not move back so that the head rest is flush with the seat (there are pictures of this in the thread). This causes problems for people sitting in those seats.

The solution appears to be to not order the push button feature. But not ordering this feature means manually folding the seat, and if you have a six year old trying to get to the third row like we do, this may be a problem. I know it would be annoying for us since we are coming from an Odyssey, so we currently do nothing to help our kids get into and out of the car.

It is this very problem that has delayed our deciding to buy a GL (and, in fact, it is likely at this point we will never buy one unless they fix this head rest issue).
Got it, very helpful. We took the kids to the dealer yesterday to try it. I think our solution will be to have one of them sit in the middle, the middle headrest is much smaller, and doesn't intrude as much as the ones on either side. this would let the easy entry (single seat) easily fold down, without having to worry about the headrest.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 406 Likes on 284 Posts
23 EQS 580 SUV, 19 X7 (sold), 17/14 GLS550 (sold) 13 GL550 (sold)
My wife and I picked a 13' GL550 a few months ago that we ordered from the dealership. I traded a 2011 Lexus LX570 and so far we are very pleased. This vehicle turns more heads than ay other car we have ever owned. Several of our neighbors came up to our garage just see it up close. That has never happened before.

The car is well engineered and overall is very pleasing. The interface to the NAV could be updated and I've heard MB is working on improving all of that in the future but we are pleased with the car.

Please post some pictures of your GL550 when you pick it up.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:23 PM

GL 550
Thanks for the responses. Pics attached- we intend to pick it up on Wednesday evening. More to come after we actually receive it.
New Poster- GL550-photo-1-.jpg

New Poster- GL550-photo-2.jpg
Old 08-19-2013, 11:59 PM

07 S550
very nice, white looks great on the GL. good luck
Old 08-21-2013, 01:23 PM

GL 550
ok- picking this up tonight- pretty pumped. Got 3 years of prepaid maintenance, but I rejected the Resistall/protectant for the Inside/Outside. Kinda feeling nervous about it actually, I have 4 little ones (5, 3, 2, 6 months), and Black Designo leather. From reading on here, it seems it's a polar response (you must have it) (dont get it, it just pads dealers pockets).

Help....!
Old 08-21-2013, 01:29 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2021 GLS580 all black. 2014 GLK black (kids car). formerly: 2014 GL550 Palladium Silver (US)
Originally Posted by MBnotredame
ok- picking this up tonight- pretty pumped. Got 3 years of prepaid maintenance, but I rejected the Resistall/protectant for the Inside/Outside. Kinda feeling nervous about it actually, I have 4 little ones (5, 3, 2, 6 months), and Black Designo leather. From reading on here, it seems it's a polar response (you must have it) (dont get it, it just pads dealers pockets).

Help....!
I've had leather fixed on my X5 and turns out it's not that expensive.
I would protect it, but you can find a detailer that can do that for you. We have one that will apply leather protection and sealer (Opti-Coat) for $400.
While that doesn't have insurance, I feel like it's better protection, but not sure what I'll do when the time comes.

You might find out how much time you have to add the paint protection. As I recall with another car/dealer, the tires I had to choose at pickup, but everything else I had 30 days.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:37 PM

GL 550
Originally Posted by cincy8
I've had leather fixed on my X5 and turns out it's not that expensive.
I would protect it, but you can find a detailer that can do that for you. We have one that will apply leather protection and sealer (Opti-Coat) for $400.
While that doesn't have insurance, I feel like it's better protection, but not sure what I'll do when the time comes.

You might find out how much time you have to add the paint protection. As I recall with another car/dealer, the tires I had to choose at pickup, but everything else I had 30 days.
very helpful- thanks.

I guess, would people make a distinction on the decision of it being MB Tex, Regular Leather, or Designo? Ie, does the Designo make you think you NEED this?
Old 08-21-2013, 09:14 PM

GL 550
Picked this bad boy up tonight. Anyone in Boston area, MB of Westwood is EXCELLENT to deal with- Matt Thompson is an awesome sales guy, and gets everything done the right way.

Haven't had much chance to drive it, other than getting home- but its awesome. We came from an Escalade, which was also nice, but not on this level. If anybody is considering this vehicle, eliminate any doubt and just do it.

I ended up passing on the resistall- but got prepaid maintenance and also the Tire/Rim Insurance- figured that we are bound to hit something with the rim or the tire. The shoes on this thing are pretty expensive, or so I hear....
Old 08-21-2013, 10:33 PM

'14 GL450 delivered in Dec 2013. BMW '12 Z4 35i
Originally Posted by cincy8
... will apply leather protection and sealer (Opti-Coat) for $400....
Do you mean Opti-coat for whole exterior is $400?
My detailer charges $800 for whole exterior including wheels.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:28 PM

2013 BMW 550ix
Originally Posted by ychoi1216
Every detailer will charge differently, obviously, by mine charged $250 to apply Opticoat to the body of my BMW 550, and $50 per wheel to take the wheel off and apply it to the entire wheel (including inside the barrel).

But most of the work is really in the prep (buffing out swirls and issues with the paint direct from factory). He charged $65/hour for that and it took him perhaps seven hours to fully buff everything out to look perfect (from factory). If you are interested in the process, here is a blog post he put on his website about prepping and applying Opticoat to my car.

http://www.reflections-detailing.com...nt-and-wheels/

$800 sounds reasonable as long as that includes some prep work. If that is for applying only Opticoat, then it's too much.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:47 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2021 GLS580 all black. 2014 GLK black (kids car). formerly: 2014 GL550 Palladium Silver (US)
Originally Posted by ychoi1216
I'm not sure if the underside of wheels is included, but the $395 NEW car prep SUV service includes clean, clay and opti-coat exterior and wheels. Also condition and UV protect Leather and treat carpet.
Any required buffing would be additional.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:29 PM

GL 550
2 weeks in, still very happy with our purchase.

We ended up getting the front windows tinted (to legal limit in MA) and then the rear Pano roof tinted really dark (well beyond limit, but doesnt matter on roof obviously). It worked like a charm, kids can now sit back there without issue of sun glare or heat. (Perfect).

just cleared 1500 miles on the vehicle, so technically she is "broken in".

The headrest issue is still an issue, though a small one for us at the moment (my 2nd son doesnt reach it when its up, but will soon enough).

all in all this is an awesome truck and turns heads
Old 09-04-2013, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
MB_ND, glad you are enjoying it. I just passed 14,000 on my GL350, spent the last 5 days pulling a trailer with our Polaris Ranger on it, pulled like a charm.