GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Another power easy entry design flaw!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 12:21 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
08 E63 Arctic White/Black
Another power easy entry design flaw!

we used the power easy entry daily for two weeks while my in laws were here. i noticed two additional issues/flaws with this design (in addition to the fixed headrest issue):

(1) passenger side push button only brings it to the first folded position. it fully retracts and goes up against the front seat only 20% of the time. if i only get the first folded position, i must push the button again or use the manual lever to get it all they way up against the front seat for entry

(2) driver side ALWAYS catches the 2nd row passenger seatbelt!!!!!! so annoying. the red pull handle is not totally square with the seat and therefore, on its way up to fold, it catches the seatbelt and takes it with the seat! and it takes quite a bit of maneuvering to free the belt from the handle.

has anyone else noticed this?

thankfully we will only be using power easy entry when people are in town (which is not often), but this is the dumbest $400 option i have ever paid for. sometimes i wish i had waited and special ordered a GL without it

other than that i love the GL but this headrest and power easy entry HAVE GOT TO GOOOOOOOOOO
Old 08-23-2013, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by wamochi
we used the power easy entry daily for two weeks while my in laws were here. i noticed two additional issues/flaws with this design (in addition to the fixed headrest issue):

(1) passenger side push button only brings it to the first folded position. it fully retracts and goes up against the front seat only 20% of the time. if i only get the first folded position, i must push the button again or use the manual lever to get it all they way up against the front seat for entry

(2) driver side ALWAYS catches the 2nd row passenger seatbelt!!!!!! so annoying. the red pull handle is not totally square with the seat and therefore, on its way up to fold, it catches the seatbelt and takes it with the seat! and it takes quite a bit of maneuvering to free the belt from the handle.

has anyone else noticed this?

thankfully we will only be using power easy entry when people are in town (which is not often), but this is the dumbest $400 option i have ever paid for. sometimes i wish i had waited and special ordered a GL without it

other than that i love the GL but this headrest and power easy entry HAVE GOT TO GOOOOOOOOOO
Thoughts..... before this option, we just dealt with folding the seats! The complexities of the headrest positions, the interference of seat belts, the front seats, and other aspects of providing a smooth and reliable folding system COULD be dealt with, but at what cost? I agree the present system is cumbersome at best.....but not sure its absolutely needed anyway. That being said, I DO like the power folding third row!
Old 08-24-2013, 07:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
MBs
i havent had the issue of the seat belt being caught..
now as for the passenger side- yea its occasionally annoying in my case- sometimes folds all the way and sometimes not.. its a sensitive system and if anything and i mean anything touches the seat or theres minor resistance it half folds only- with passengers in the 3rd they HAVE. to keep feet close when using this to come out -- and anything on the floor has to be moved from the 2nd row-- otherwise it folds all the way in a cpl secs ..

agree with blittle-- not neccessary but i like it...
Old 08-24-2013, 03:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GL350BT
I did not order it but it came with the car. I told my SA I had not requested it. We just sort of ignored that point so I'm sure it was rolled up in my final price. The feature is really not necessary but could come in handy. The opening appears a bit awkward as the headrest must push down, it catches the netting on the back of the front seat, and I do see where it could catch on the seat belts. Third row is a charm.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Seatbelt is to be "stowed" in the plastic clip on the sidewall before activating easy entry to power up the seats.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GL350BT
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Seatbelt is to be "stowed" in the plastic clip on the sidewall before activating easy entry to power up the seats.
So if your the last one out in the third row, be sure and reach over the seat and stow the seat belt in the clip, then hop back, and push the button so you can get out.

I see the clip, will try to see if it stays in there and still works for the passenger to use.