GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Speedo w/segments? 3-way climate? DSR? Symbols?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 06:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
GL350
Speedo w/segments? 3-way climate? DSR? Symbols?

I have a few things I haven't been able to figure out:
1. There are references to "Speedometer with segments." What does the "with segments" mean?

2. With 3-zone climate control, can the fan speed or temperature in the rear zone be controlled from the front? Before I bought the car, the sales person told me both fan speed and temperature could be controlled from the front - which is why I bought the 3-zone - but now that I have the car it looks like the rear can be turned off and on from the front but nothing else.

3.What does the DSR control do (w/out off-road package)? I know "DSR" stands for Downhill Speed Regulation and that seems self explanatory enough, but the Distronic Plus controls downhill speed such that if on a downhill stretch of road the car would otherwise gain speed over that which is set, the Distronic Plus will actually brake the car to maintain the pre-set speed (I think). So what does DSR do?

4. On pages 38 - 46 of the 2014 owner's manual, a symbol appears repeatedly in a column meant for page numbers. What is the meaning of the symbol (a steering wheel with an tiny arrow and another symbol I can't make out)?
Old 09-05-2013, 11:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 GL450
The segments are little red bars that light up next to the speedo numbers, shows you where you have the cruise control/distronic set to, and if a 2nd bar appears it means distronic has noticed a car ahead of you.

On the 3-zone, if you turn off the zone feature then the drivers temp also controls the rear temp. So technically you have some control over the temp, but it will be same temp as for driver and passenger.

DSR is for much lower speed usage cases like typically off-roading. It moves the car along on a steep downhill at a very low and controlled speed.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by Elric99
The segments are little red bars that light up next to the speedo numbers, shows you where you have the cruise control/distronic set to, and if a 2nd bar appears it means distronic has noticed a car ahead of you.

On the 3-zone, if you turn off the zone feature then the drivers temp also controls the rear temp. So technically you have some control over the temp, but it will be same temp as for driver and passenger.

DSR is for much lower speed usage cases like typically off-roading. It moves the car along on a steep downhill at a very low and controlled speed.
Yup....good summary!
Old 09-06-2013, 07:24 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
Useless control of 3rd zone

My 07 had complete front control over 3rd zone it for some reason they phased that out in 09 I think, I'm sure for a cheaper unit. It's ridiculous that we have to turn around and stretch down to even get to the 3rd zone controller to make changes. Oh well, decontent-it happens.

Otherwise liking my new 14!
Old 09-06-2013, 12:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
08 E63 Arctic White/Black
you CAN control the back A/C controls but it's not intuitive at all. for a few weeks i thought we couldn't and my husband or i would have to reach back and adjust. but this is how you do it:

(1) decide what temp and fan speed you want for rear
(2) make sure Zone is OFF (not lit in red)
(3) set the temp and fan speed desired on the front controls
(4) hit Zone button to ON
(5) change front passengers air to whatever you desire

it's dumb and takes 4 too many steps, but it's better than nothing!! my kids are in car seats and can't reach the controls for themselves so if they want more or less air, the above is how I do it.

ordinarily we all desire the same temp and fan speed, but with the hotter summer sometimes they want more air for longer while i'm freezing already in the front. so in that case, when i've had enough of high fan speed, i just hit zone and decrease mine in the front while the kids still get more air.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:36 PM

GL350
I'm not quite sure I follow, although I'll head out to the car soon to fiddle a bit. What rear control does that procedure allow from the front?

And does anyone have any ideas about that icon described in my original post?
Old 09-06-2013, 02:45 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
08 E63 Arctic White/Black
yes it is confusing. here is an example

you get into the car, and the following a/c settings are present from the last time they were set:

FRONT - blower level 3 and temp of 70
REAR - blower level 1 and temp of 66

kids complain they need more air so you follow the steps.

Hit Zone OFF and all the zones (front and rear) go to blower level 3 and temp of 70. But your kids want blower level 6, so you increase all zones to blower level 6 and reduce the temp to 64.

Then you decide you and your front passenger are getting blasted with too much air and want less blower speed. So you hit Zone ON again and reduce your fan speed to blower level 2 and increase temp to 68.

The result is that your kids in back now have blower level 6, temp 64 and you have blower level 2 and temp 68.

So yes, you have accomplished setting the rear control for fan speed and temp, all without having to tweak your back and hope you are pressing the right buttons and turning the dial properly.

You must repeat the entire sequence above even if you just want to turn their fan speed down one notch or raise the temp one notch - that is the unfortunate aspect of the so called climate control for rear passengers. But usually by the time they've had enough air, i just hit Zone OFF and everyone has the same temp and air flow and is happy.

but i agree, they should have just had separate little controls in the front for the rear to make it super easy for drivers.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:57 PM

GL350
I get it now. Yes, that works just fine. Far more complicated than it should be, but it beats trying to reach back and adjust the rear controls. Thanks much!

Actually, once I realized (based on your tip) that if you turn Zone off (so the red light on the zone button is off) the driver's controls set all three zones, it all made sense. That's what you said, but it took a while for the light in my head to turn on. Anyway, turn the Zone off, adjust where you want the rear blower and rear temp from the driver controls, then turn the Zone on and adjust driver and front passenger controls as desired. The rear blower and temp will stay put.

The only thing I'd add to your post is that when setting the rear blower and temp levels from the front, you're also setting the rear air distribution. If you have air blowing into the front foot wells, you'll also have air blowing into the rear foot wells. Just as in the front, air blowing into the rear foot wells reduces air blowing from the center, side and (in the rear) roof vents. That's not good or bad, but your own situation will dictate whether you want it or not.

And I also notice that the procedure is pretty much what Elric99 said, as well, though that post didn't mention fan control. Like I said, it took a little while for the light bulb in my head to go on!

Last edited by Dog hauler; 09-06-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by wamochi
you CAN control the back A/C controls but it's not intuitive at all. for a few weeks i thought we couldn't and my husband or i would have to reach back and adjust. but this is how you do it:

it's dumb and takes 4 too many steps, but it's better than nothing!! my kids are in car seats and can't reach the controls for themselves so if they want more or less air, the above is how I do it.

ordinarily we all desire the same temp and fan speed, but with the hotter summer sometimes they want more air for longer while i'm freezing already in the front. so in that case, when i've had enough of high fan speed, i just hit zone and decrease mine in the front while the kids still get more air.
Excellent ( complicated, but works ) solution!
Old 09-06-2013, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GL450
DSR gets me safely down my very long 12% grade driveway when an ice storm makes an unwelcomed deposit. Using it and setting the speed with the cruise control arm I can go super slow when conditions warrant it. I would say it is like walking the GL down the driveway. Much better than sliding off into the woods. Trees hurt metal. It's nice when you need it and I like that I rarely need it, but am glad I have it.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:59 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 Volvo XC90 Magic/Amber, '95 E320 Cabriolet Midnight,'14 GL350 Lunar/Almond was '07 GL320CDI
Originally Posted by wamochi

Look forward to trying-sure it will work. But it is ridiculous compared to the perfect setup in my '07 where one button took over rear controls for about 30 seconds before reverting. Again, this is "de-technologicalization" at its best!! But again. Thanks a million for the workaround!
Old 09-07-2013, 09:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GL350BT
Originally Posted by carpersn
Look forward to trying-sure it will work. But it is ridiculous compared to the perfect setup in my '07 where one button took over rear controls for about 30 seconds before reverting. Again, this is "de-technologicalization" at its best!! But again. Thanks a million for the workaround!
I was wondering this exact same thing as well. I kept switching around reaching for the rear controls and trying to set fan speeds. Duh!

With "Zones" deactivated the front driver control is the "Master" and the rear is the slave. Set it how you want the entire car to be or how you want the rear only to be, then activate "Zones" and Rear stays as it was and you can adjust the Driver and Passenger as you like.

It is actually logical.

Last edited by Flyingman; 09-07-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLS 55 AMG
segments

Can you turn on and off the red segments ?