GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Adaptive high beams?

Old 11-21-2013, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few different ones
Ours seem to never go on and when I had this feature in my E350 I turned it off and never used it (in fact I thought it was broken until a month before I got rid of that car when I decided to try it one more time.)

Anyway this feature stinks at least for the area where I live.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:06 PM

2013 GL450
Service says no update is available at this time. This is very unfortunate. So, who do we complain to for something like this?
Old 01-18-2014, 03:10 AM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
Perhaps it is international law....I live in the country side in the UK and love this feature with the intelligent light system. <30mph is generally for build up areas and using full beams would be considered rude and I find unnecessary. The cornering system does a great job as does the automatic range. Or perhaps it is because I'm in a right hand drive...

I love how subtle the transition is as well, and how it doesn't react to reflective road signs but instantly to other vehicles...Now the collision warning system I do find annoying on my small country lanes, a little overhanding branch of a tree and all alarms are set off...Or perhaps I should drive slower
Old 01-18-2014, 06:57 AM

2013 GL450
Why would seeing better be rude when there are no other cars around? In the early morning, when driving through thickly wooded areas on narrow, winding roads, without sidewalks, all with speed limits of 20 to 30mph, it helps to see things such as deer, which are everywhere. It also helps to see people out for a early morning (it's dark) walk or run who are so dumb that they wear dark clothes, nothing reflective, and no flashers. Or, it helps to see the occasional cyclist who thinks they don't need flashers or reflectors. The sooner you can see things ahead, the better. So, that's why it should start automatic operation at 15mph.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:05 AM

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
right to be forgotten
Originally Posted by Steve Maislin
Why would seeing better be rude when there are no other cars around? In the early morning, when driving through thickly wooded areas on narrow, winding roads, without sidewalks, all with speed limits of 20 to 30mph, it helps to see things such as deer, which are everywhere. It also helps to see people out for a early morning (it's dark) walk or run who are so dumb that they wear dark clothes, nothing reflective, and no flashers. Or, it helps to see the occasional cyclist who thinks they don't need flashers or reflectors. The sooner you can see things ahead, the better. So, that's why it should start automatic operation at 15mph.
Seeing better when nobody else is around is naturally not rude. However over here (in the UK) there are only 30mph speed limit in build up areas full beams will light up houses which is not pleasant when you live on such lanes. Thus other people will be around. I agree there are walkers in dark clothed, you should still dip your lights not to blind them. I find at those low speeds that the intelligent light system provide (albeit a lower down beam) a nice wide spread and provide plenty of intervention time.

All I'm saying is that I'm not bother about it.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:50 PM

GL
Not bad, not as good as the new GLK ... : |

I live where there's about 10 miles of delightfully winding, mountainous roads between me and the heathens in the suburbs. (kidding!) Some of that road works quite well with the high beams for the arc of the road and the speed of the vehicle. Some of it is as others note, pretty bloody annoying to have the car say "surprise! no light for you!" (in the voice of the Seinfeld soup ****.)

Somewhat ironically (or just plain annoyingly) I had a loaner 2014 GLK for a week while they found the bits to replace the black box in the GL's 360 cameras. The auto high beams on the new GLK are much smarter -- they somehow literally rearrange the beams as they steer, so you get a wider, flatter "flood" of low light just where, of course, you need it, because that's exactly where you're looking, to follow the edge of the road or the middle line ... the GL doesn't quite "get" this, so it will insist on "blinding" the oncoming driver for a few unnecessary seconds, while the GLK is already focusing the lights correctly across the road instead of ten feet up into the trees ... I'd rather be the one needing to adapt to bad lighting rather than blind the other driver and trust they have excellent driving skills and judgement, so I leave the GL lights down when I know they're going to get it wrong ... which is rather pathetic to see think that the flagship SUV (give or take the archaic G) is bettered by the entry-level model. Ho hum. Can't wait for the mid-cycle refresh of the GL to address the worst of its shortcomings.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Look……get over this…..what we have on this system is so much better than what we grew up with which was "flick the high beams on when you want 'em, flick them off when you don't" or lets hope you remember to flick them off an not blind the guy coming at you! Yes….the system is not perfect, BUTTTTT….for the most part, out on the highway ….it works great!!! I am glad to have it….. Also yes…. in the "neighborhood" going less than 30mph or whatever it is…. I have to switch the system to manual and operate the high beams as I need them…… and yes, some manufacturers use a differently algorithm for when the lights go on and off…..I own one…. a 2014 Ford with auto high beams that come on at a much slower speed…BUTTTT….they are going on and off much to often….looks like I'm going through the neighborhood flashing my lights!!…. but they work well on the highway just like the Benz. So….none are perfect, its all electronics and all electronics, no matter how sophisticated will ever be as good as the human mind in determining action or reaction. Now backup lights that throw NO light….. that's my issue!!!!
Old 05-16-2015, 12:20 AM

550 SL
Doc Yeh- if I do everything manually like a Russian car, it works- what garbage !

[B[/B]
Originally Posted by blittle
Perfect description Steve......What I do at low speed is use the rotary knob to (turn to ON ) which immediately brings on the highs.....turn it back to AUTO when I dont need them.......other than that, I find the system works beautifully!
Old 05-16-2015, 12:27 AM

550 SL
These headlights stink -mb service & attitude continues to worsen since 1984
Old 05-16-2015, 12:29 AM

550 SL
Doc

How many must die while service laughs ?
Old 05-16-2015, 05:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'14 GL550 , '79 911SC
What words of wisdom did your first 6 posts say?

Originally Posted by Doc111
How many must die while service laughs ?
Wtf