GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Adaptive high beams?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GL 63, Ferrari California, Tesla Model S
Adaptive high beams?

I cannot find it, but remember someone else mentioning this. In Auto mode, I cannot get the high beams to come on when I push the lever forward. It will only 'flash' when pulled back. Do the lights have to be in the 'ON' mode to override this? Why does the car not 'see' the need for high beams on my unlit road in pitch black? How does this adaptive lighting actually work?

Thanks for any input. Manual has not helped at all.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:58 AM

2013 GL450
High beams come on automatically at 35 mph and above if there are no oncoming vehicles, rear lights of vehicles out front, or a road well lit by street lamps. That's automatic mode. They will go back to low-beams once you slow to around 30mph or below. This is based upon not needing lighting in the far off distance when you are going under 35mph. The concept is based on the distance of lighting generally matching the speed of the vehicle. If you want high beams on at below 35, you'll need to turn the headlight control switch to the right which will put on the high-beams when the steering wheel lever is in the high-beam position. That is manual mode. It would have been good if automatic mode was user programmable and you could permanently change the point at which they automatically activate to a speed below 35mph.

But, like I say, there is a work around if you turn that headlight control knob to the right. Just remember to flip in back to the left. Alternatively, you can turn off the automatic mode for high-beams altogether under the settings in the menus where you can set all kinds of vehicle options. That would make them like any other manual system. However, that would not allow you to easily override things when you are out on the road and actually want to have automatic high-beams. I hope this helps.

Last edited by Steve Maislin; 10-02-2013 at 08:01 AM.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:57 AM

2014 GL 63, Ferrari California, Tesla Model S
Thanks, Steve. That's what I thought. Unfortunately, it doesn't account for extremely steep curvy unlit roads where one must drive less than 20mph but still need high beams. Bother.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:27 PM

Gl350 amg 2013
Glad someone answered that, I've been trying to get mine to go on for 4 days
Old 10-02-2013, 02:57 PM

2013 GL450
Yes, I live in a place with thickly wooded, curvy roads where speeds of 35 are beyond the limit in many cases. So, I use that little trick from time to time. The system also seems to limit the use of high-beams when it detects roads that curve ahead. That might be a coincidence, but it seems to be the case. I wonder if it connected to the system that tracks whether you are staying in your lane. Anyway, overall it is a wonderful headlamp system and I can only hope that MB will see this stuff and improve things by giving us more say in how it works. I have no idea how they came up with the 35 mph minimum.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by Steve Maislin
High beams come on automatically at 35 mph and above if there are no oncoming vehicles, rear lights of vehicles out front, or a road well lit by street lamps. That's automatic mode. They will go back to low-beams once you slow to around 30mph or below. This is based upon not needing lighting in the far off distance when you are going under 35mph. The concept is based on the distance of lighting generally matching the speed of the vehicle. If you want high beams on at below 35, you'll need to turn the headlight control switch to the right which will put on the high-beams when the steering wheel lever is in the high-beam position. That is manual mode. It would have been good if automatic mode was user programmable and you could permanently change the point at which they automatically activate to a speed below 35mph.

But, like I say, there is a work around if you turn that headlight control knob to the right. Just remember to flip in back to the left. Alternatively, you can turn off the automatic mode for high-beams altogether under the settings in the menus where you can set all kinds of vehicle options. That would make them like any other manual system. However, that would not allow you to easily override things when you are out on the road and actually want to have automatic high-beams. I hope this helps.
Perfect description Steve......What I do at low speed is use the rotary knob to (turn to ON ) which immediately brings on the highs.....turn it back to AUTO when I dont need them.......other than that, I find the system works beautifully!
Old 10-02-2013, 11:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
GL350
I, too, find the adaptive high beams to be quite annoying. In situations where there were no cars ahead (either oncoming or going the same direction) and it was plenty dark, the high beams would not come on either automatically or when the stalk was pushed toward the dash to turn them on manually.

Sure, you can set the rotary switch to manual and use the high beams. But you then must remember to switch back to auto mode when you're finished with the high beams. That all seems like an annoyance that doesn't need to be there. In auto mode, pushing the stalk away from you to turn on the high beams ought to override the auto high beam function.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by Dog hauler
I, too, find the adaptive high beams to be quite annoying. In situations where there were no cars ahead (either oncoming or going the same direction) and it was plenty dark, the high beams would not come on either automatically or when the stalk was pushed toward the dash to turn them on manually.

Sure, you can set the rotary switch to manual and use the high beams. But you then must remember to switch back to auto mode when you're finished with the high beams. That all seems like an annoyance that doesn't need to be there. In auto mode, pushing the stalk away from you to turn on the high beams ought to override the auto high beam function.
Something you are saying doesn't quite jive...... in order for the "adaptive high beam assist" to function you must: turn the rotary to "auto" AND push the stalk forward to the 'high" position and LEAVE it there. From that point on....the systems will turn the headlights on and off, switch to high beam after the minimum speed is passed and dark condition criteria have been met. In the old days....when you wanted high beams, you manually switched them on and off..........so.......when you are below the minimum speed you simply go back to manual operation which in this case means turn the rotary to "ON" to bring up the highs and then back to "AUTO" to turn them off. I have the the system to do a fantastic job of bringing up the highs and then dimming in the face of oncoming traffic.....I do wish the default was to keep the highs on even at low speed if the light conditions were met, but the manual switching is an easy workaround for me.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
I do find myself wishing there were 3 positions on the stalk - Auto, low, high. Wouldn't be so hard to do in my opinion, maybe back for auto, middle is low and foward is high. It doesn't allow you to 'flash' your brights as easy, but I'd forego that for these 3 positions.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:30 PM

GL350
Originally Posted by blittle
Something you are saying doesn't quite jive...... in order for the "adaptive high beam assist" to function you must: turn the rotary to "auto" AND push the stalk forward to the 'high" position and LEAVE it there. From that point on....the systems will turn the headlights on and off, switch to high beam after the minimum speed is passed and dark condition criteria have been met. In the old days....when you wanted high beams, you manually switched them on and off..........so.......when you are below the minimum speed you simply go back to manual operation which in this case means turn the rotary to "ON" to bring up the highs and then back to "AUTO" to turn them off. I have the the system to do a fantastic job of bringing up the highs and then dimming in the face of oncoming traffic.....I do wish the default was to keep the highs on even at low speed if the light conditions were met, but the manual switching is an easy workaround for me.
When the lights are in auto mode and you push the stalk toward the dash, the high beams frequently don't come on when there are no other cars ahead (either oncoming or going the same direction) and when it seems plenty dark enough to warrant high beams.

If it's a speed sensitive thing, that's crazy. Even at low speed, why wouldn't a driver want to light up the road as much as possible (at least when there are no cars ahead) to see animals in or about to enter the road, bikes with no lights, etc?

If the system works fine for you, great. I'm happy for you. It seems that many folks don't like the way the system works, however. I'm certainly one of them.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

When the lights are in auto mode and you push the stalk toward the dash, the high beams frequently don't come on when there are no other cars ahead (either oncoming or going the same direction) and when it seems plenty dark enough to warrant high beams.

If it's a speed sensitive thing, that's crazy. Even at low speed, why wouldn't a driver want to light up the road as much as possible (at least when there are no cars ahead) to see animals in or about to enter the road, bikes with no lights, etc?

If the system works fine for you, great. I'm happy for you. It seems that many folks don't like the way the system works, however. I'm certainly one of them.
Agree with the highlighted 100%! BUTTTT....if you are going to have the lights in AUTO mode, then the stalk must be pushed forward to the high beam position PERMANENTLY for the system to function. ( I never move mine ) That means they will NOT come on at slow speeds even in dark situations where you and I might want them to.....therefore you must flick the rotary to ON and there they are.....car comes at you, flick the rotary back to AUTO and they go off...just like the old days of flicking the stalk back and forth OR...even older....pushing the button on the floor!!! If I were the German programers, I would have left the speed thing out of the program......they didn't. I really do think the system works great out on the highway, however........better than some other vehicles I previously owned with early versions of "automatic" high beams.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:11 PM

GL350
Originally Posted by blittle
Agree with the highlighted 100%! BUTTTT....if you are going to have the lights in AUTO mode, then the stalk must be pushed forward to the high beam position PERMANENTLY for the system to function. ( I never move mine ) That means they will NOT come on at slow speeds even in dark situations where you and I might want them to.....therefore you must flick the rotary to ON and there they are.....car comes at you, flick the rotary back to AUTO and they go off...just like the old days of flicking the stalk back and forth OR...even older....pushing the button on the floor!!! If I were the German programers, I would have left the speed thing out of the program......they didn't. I really do think the system works great out on the highway, however........better than some other vehicles I previously owned with early versions of "automatic" high beams.
Like I said: if you like the system as it is, great. I'm happy for you.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Like I said: if you like the system as it is, great. I'm happy for you.

You missed my point..... I do not necessarily "like" the system as it is..... but I do understand it and am willing to put up with the inconvenience given that I have experienced systems that were far more prone to blinding the guy coming straight at me and have driven this vehicle over all kinds of roads from interstate to backwoods one lane dirt.....and this is truly one of the best! I do understand your point, however.........
Old 10-04-2013, 07:25 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
08 E63 Arctic White/Black
JAQ1 - congrats on getting your GL finally

yes i wish it wasn't limited to speed. sometimes i like to use them in our gated neighborhood which has many cul de sacs and turns to keep a watch our for dogs and cats. but so far the adaptive HB has not come on for me at all, no matter where or how fast i drive.

also, does your turn signal stalk light up at night? i was surprised the other day that it wasn't lit at all.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by wamochi
JAQ1 - congrats on getting your GL finally

yes i wish it wasn't limited to speed. sometimes i like to use them in our gated neighborhood which has many cul de sacs and turns to keep a watch our for dogs and cats. but so far the adaptive HB has not come on for me at all, no matter where or how fast i drive.

also, does your turn signal stalk light up at night? i was surprised the other day that it wasn't lit at all.

Unfortunately, the stalk does not light up...none of the stalks do, nor have they since the first 07 model. Would be helpful......
Old 11-20-2013, 03:24 PM

A few different ones
Alternatively, you can turn off the automatic mode for high-beams altogether under the settings in the menus where you can set all kinds of vehicle options.
Where in the settings is the ability to turn the Auto high beams mode off and still have the switch in the 'Auto' position.

I don't see it in the options under 'lights' in the middle of the dashboard.

My E350 had the ability to shut off this feature and still put the Switch into 'Auto' mode.

I live in a well lit area and this feature rarely ever turns the high beams on (on both the E350 & our GL450)
Old 11-20-2013, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AF330i
Where in the settings is the ability to turn the Auto high beams mode off and still have the switch in the 'Auto' position.

I don't see it in the options under 'lights' in the middle of the dashboard.

My E350 had the ability to shut off this feature and still put the Switch into 'Auto' mode.

I live in a well lit area and this feature rarely ever turns the high beams on (on both the E350 & our GL450)
Switching Adaptive High beam Assist on/off.

Go to 'Settings' then up/down arrow to 'Lights' submenu, hit OK, then up/down arrow to the 'Adapt Main Beam' and disable/turn it off.

You still leave your headlight dial on 'Auto'. When the lights are on, pushing the turn signal stick forward will turn on the high beams. Pull it back to turn the high beams off. Pulling all the way back will flash them, but not keep them on. It works just like a vehicle without adaptive high beam.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:42 PM

A few different ones
Originally Posted by JimBarnhart
Switching Adaptive High beam Assist on/off.

Go to 'Settings' then up/down arrow to 'Lights' submenu, hit OK, then up/down arrow to the 'Adapt Main Beam' and disable/turn it off.

You still leave your headlight dial on 'Auto'. When the lights are on, pushing the turn signal stick forward will turn on the high beams. Pull it back to turn the high beams off. Pulling all the way back will flash them, but not keep them on. It works just like a vehicle without adaptive high beam.
Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately my car doesn't have the 'Adapt main beam' under the lights settings. The e350 I had did.

Maybe for 2014 they no longer have the ability to shut it off
Old 11-20-2013, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AF330i

Maybe for 2014 they no longer have the ability to shut it off
I think you are exactly right. I went and downloaded the 2014 manual and it's not listed in the on board computer menus. It's in the 2013 manual, that's where I got my first response.

What that implies is if you want the car to turn the lights on and off automatically, adaptive high beam on has to be on. If you want to manually turn the lights on, adaptive high beam assist has to be off.

That stinks IMHO. As I'm starting to drive more at night in areas with the shorter days and in areas with lots of deer, I'm not that in love with adaptive high beams. It goes to low beam quite a bit at yellow signs that are too reflective. It of course also dims when you slow down, and sometimes I want them to stay on high so I can maneuver better. The convenience of this function comes with a price tag of not having the high beams on as much as I like. I know I can go to full on lights and control them myself and I do sometimes.

But I would want an option to stay in AUTO mode without adaptive high beams active.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:28 PM

2013 GL450
This is very unfortunate that they have this minimum speed at 35 mph. I wonder what in the world they were thinking? Really, what were they thinking? What I really would like to find out is, can this minimum speed be permanently dropped to 15mph with a software update?

MB what's the deal? I turn the light switch to the right whenever I am in my neighborhood which is winding, wooded, dark roads. A real pain the ***. Arghhh.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
MBs
yup- the adaptive beams are def a point of discussion-
the weird thing is that mine do come on below 35, theres a turn in our Sub where the fastest you can go is. 20; so its usually at 15-20mph turn- dark- and mine come on. and all it takes is a little sparkle of light which the headlight camera picks up and they auto shut off..
Old 11-20-2013, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Since I was just in the manual, it states they work above 25KM/hr (16 MPH).
Old 11-21-2013, 08:06 AM

2013 GL450
Then, I am bringing mine in for service. Was this in the 2013 manual?
Old 11-21-2013, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Then, I am bringing mine in for service. Was this in the 2013 manual?
Dang, I have to be more thorough I guess.

In the 2013 manual:
At speeds above 35mph the high beams will turn on if no other road users have been detected. At speeds below 30mph the high beams are turned off.

In the 2014 manual:
If you are driving at speeds above 19mph the high beams will turn on if no other road users have been detected. At speeds below 16mph the high beams are turned off.

BTW, manuals can be downloaded here:

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/servic...owners_manuals
Old 11-21-2013, 10:06 AM

2013 GL450
Sounds like I need to call the dealership and see if this change was driven by a software update. Clearly, the found out that 35mph was a mistake.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Adaptive high beams?