GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

MY '14 450 OE Tune results in-

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 10:33 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 GLS 63
MY '14 450 OE Tune results in-

Just wanted to let you know I posted some info on this over in the performance section if you want to check it out.

Long story short- If you've got a 450 and you want to see incredible power, get in touch with OE Tuning. You won't regret it!
Old 10-24-2013, 10:54 PM

2018 GLS 63
Put a couple more over in the performance section too...

Old 10-26-2013, 12:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL450, R8 V10+, M6
Did you just do the tune or did you swap out the spark plugs and intake filter as well?
Old 10-26-2013, 12:46 AM

2018 GLS 63
Originally Posted by shakasean
Did you just do the tune or did you swap out the spark plugs and intake filter as well?
Just the tune. I'm still debating on the filters but I did remove what I would call restrictor plates in each of the air boxes. I have a post in here with the pictures of that.

Cold plugs will be going in at some point. Heard mixed stories there too. Some say it matters, others say they've had no issues with stock.

I did have the shop remove the resonator and replace it with an H pipe. Sounds much better but still may opt for an aftermarket muffler to give it a bit more throat.

This is a bit quicker than the videos would show trying to hold the phone with one hand, steer, and have for let the truck shift automatically instead of the paddles. She's plenty snappy right now for sure.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any before and after dyno results??
Old 10-27-2013, 04:19 PM

2018 GLS 63
No, wish I had but I think we can get a good idea of what stock is. Even without, it would be interesting to see after.

The numbers would be great to see but they don't really matter for me. You all want to pitch in ill go get one. Haha
Old 10-29-2013, 10:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GL350
And you just voided your warranty on your $70,000 SUV.

Why on earth would you care how fast a 5400 lbs SUV goes? It's still going to get stomped on by "fast" cars and it's now going to cost you an arm and a leg when your warranty gets denied (yes the boost pressure is logged and yes they will know you modified the calibration and/or intercepted the ecm signals).

I'm sure you think you are "smarter" than the dealer though. Good luck with that. MB has more booby traps in their ecm than just about anyone else. I'm stunned that anyone would modify this vehicle beyond floor mats and air fresheners.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:28 AM

2018 GLS 63
Originally Posted by jasonjeross
And you just voided your warranty on your $70,000 SUV.

Why on earth would you care how fast a 5400 lbs SUV goes? It's still going to get stomped on by "fast" cars and it's now going to cost you an arm and a leg when your warranty gets denied (yes the boost pressure is logged and yes they will know you modified the calibration and/or intercepted the ecm signals).

I'm sure you think you are "smarter" than the dealer though. Good luck with that. MB has more booby traps in their ecm than just about anyone else. I'm stunned that anyone would modify this vehicle beyond floor mats and air fresheners.
Jasonjeross- I guess the more relevant question is why do YOU care what I don with MY Benz?

I don't claim to be smarter than anyone, we'll up until I read your post. It's mine and that's how I want it. I'm not worried about "fast" cars. I don't race and don't care. What I'd rather have is that little grin on my face when I get on the on ramp or have to pass someone and the speed is there immediately.

Should they deny warranty repair than I pay to have it fixed. Not really a concern to me.

I appreciate you reaching out and sharing your wisdom though.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:31 AM

GL350
Originally Posted by Mapkos13
Jasonjeross- I guess the more relevant question is why do YOU care what I don with MY Benz?

I don't claim to be smarter than anyone, we'll up until I read your post. It's mine and that's how I want it. I'm not worried about "fast" cars. I don't race and don't care. What I'd rather have is that little grin on my face when I get on the on ramp or have to pass someone and the speed is there immediately.

Should they deny warranty repair than I pay to have it fixed. Not really a concern to me.

I appreciate you reaching out and sharing your wisdom though.
Just wanted to state some facts as others may read this as "safe" horsepower. It's anything but AND it's going to cost people an arm and a leg when (not if) something goes boom.

Apologies if it sounds harsh. At least you are man enough to accept responsibility for the costs if something goes wrong. However, I bet the majority of the people reading this thread would NOT understand what they did caused damage and would be hopping up and down at the dealer when they get handed an estimate for a new engine or transmission.

Caveat emptor.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
Just wanted to state some facts as others may read this as "safe" horsepower. It's anything but AND it's going to cost people an arm and a leg when (not if) something goes boom.

Apologies if it sounds harsh. At least you are man enough to accept responsibility for the costs if something goes wrong. However, I bet the majority of the people reading this thread would NOT understand what they did caused damage and would be hopping up and down at the dealer when they get handed an estimate for a new engine or transmission.

Caveat emptor.
There are MB dealerships in the U.S that offer tunes in-house and covered under warranty, of course like everything else MB sells, it comes at a premium but at least you know your warranty is saved. In Canada you wash your car and your warranty is voided lol, so different markets different dealers.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:13 PM

GL350
Originally Posted by cookstar
There are MB dealerships in the U.S that offer tunes in-house and covered under warranty, of course like everything else MB sells, it comes at a premium but at least you know your warranty is saved. In Canada you wash your car and your warranty is voided lol, so different markets different dealers.
That would be the only way I would get a calibration change. Even at that, I'd be wary as I've seen equal ridiculous warranty disqualification in the US. MB service advisors are masters of physics distortion.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 211 Posts
S560

Caveat emptor.
I know you joined the site just to aggressively attack people for tuning their trucks- which is BS from the start. What's ironic is your complete lack of knowledge on this subject. The engine in the 450 is a computer detuned version of the 550. Same drivetrain. Most of the mapping is just moving up to the 550 specs. Hence why a lot of dealers offer tunes....
Old 10-29-2013, 09:38 PM

These are expensive upgrades to our trucks. It is hard to justify the expense without some solid numbers. Seat-of-the-pants doesn't matter. None of the tuners offer any numbers, for what it's worth.

No, wish I had but I think we can get a good idea of what stock is. Even without, it would be interesting to see after.

The numbers would be great to see but they don't really matter for me. You all want to pitch in ill go get one. Haha
Old 10-29-2013, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,003 Likes on 810 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Originally Posted by medphreak
These are expensive upgrades to our trucks. It is hard to justify the expense without some solid numbers. Seat-of-the-pants doesn't matter. None of the tuners offer any numbers, for what it's worth.
Renntech gives you the numbers. I have found through actual dyno tests that Renntech seems to understate their gains. For instance, on my CL600, I gained over 125 RWHP on a dynojet from their ECU tune. They advertised the tune as a 125 crank hp gain.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:02 PM

GL350
Originally Posted by emilner
I know you joined the site just to aggressively attack people for tuning their trucks- which is BS from the start. What's ironic is your complete lack of knowledge on this subject. The engine in the 450 is a computer detuned version of the 550. Same drivetrain. Most of the mapping is just moving up to the 550 specs. Hence why a lot of dealers offer tunes....

You caught me. MB will absolutely accept that argument when you have non-related engine/transmission failures and cover your entire bill

<sarcasm off now>. Realty check: You are trying to extract power from a truck that is overpriced from the get go. Then you start gambling (which is exactly what you are doing at this point) with nothing critical breaking and being left with a huge bill.

Not only CAN the dealer blame the tune, they WILL blame the calibration/tune change. There are multiple reasons ecm/pcms are locked from the factory (emissions certification, warranty, reliability, etc).

What do I know? I used to own a calibration firm for another auto manufacturer. Careful who you insult.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S560
You are trying to extract power from a truck that is overpriced from the get go.

What do I know? I used to own a calibration firm for another auto manufacturer. Careful who you insult.
What's wrong? You can insult without regard but your panties get bunched when it's dished back to you? You call people clueless, call their truck overpriced and generally bash people who never asked for your pretty much worthless opinion on a subject truck you know nothing about. Troll elsewhere...
Old 10-31-2013, 09:55 AM

GL350
What's wrong? You can insult without regard but your panties get bunched when it's dished back to you? You call people clueless, call their truck overpriced and generally bash people who never asked for your pretty much worthless opinion on a subject truck you know nothing about. Troll elsewhere...
You caught me. That's me in a nutshell.

BTW, how's that garage of yours looking? I suspect its full of posters and waxed flooring for your toys.

Mine's full of tools and cars that I work on and maintain. I'll step back as it's obvious you have much more valuable information to spread than I ever could about certain manufacturer's lack of reliability.

Just noticed you have an Escalade. I'm tapping out, not enough words to comment on that.

Last edited by jasonjeross; 10-31-2013 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Comedic effect
Old 10-31-2013, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
I'm tapping out
A lot of people will be happy to hear that. Bashing reliability of a vehicle you don't own, on a model that is only a little over 12 months into production, is simply annoying.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S560
You caught me. That's me in a nutshell.

BTW, how's that garage of yours looking? I suspect its full of posters and waxed flooring for your toys.

Mine's full of tools and cars that I work on and maintain. I'll step back as it's obvious you have much more valuable information to spread than I ever could about certain manufacturer's lack of reliability.

Just noticed you have an Escalade. I'm tapping out, not enough words to comment on that.
Garage is awesome. No posters, but the floor has radiant heat and is tiled. But what you should be interested in is the workshop. You would drool. I know you assume I am some one who is clueless around cars- and that's kinda funny since I doubt you have more experience than me. I used to build custom streetrods and put myself through college repairing cars and selling them. I've changed more chassis, yes I do mean actual automotive frames, than I care to remember. Most people don't know you can walk into a dealer and actually buy the frame to a vehicle, they were actually cheap too, about $1k.

And regarding the ESV- it's an awesome truck. They are near bulletproof- I've had 8 full size GM vehicles since the late 90's and not one has EVER visited a dealer except for the time my 3 yr old son thought the nav system was a change holder. Pennies do quite some damage to the internals of a radio. Caddy replaced it under warranty. They suck up as much lumber, luggage or people as you need to transport. Best part is the used value. Nothing holds up in value like an escalade. My buddy just sold his 2007 that he bought in 2006 for $65k. 135,000 miles and he sold it for $28,000. Not bad. My 2010 has a trade in value of $50k. And I paid $68k for it 3 years ago. Why do you hate them so bad?

One piece of advice. When everyone else thinks you are annoying, it's probably because you are. So feel free to tap out....
Old 08-14-2017, 03:06 PM

2015 GL550, 2019 GLC350e

I'm curious what's actually "detuned " in the previous 450 vs the 550. Is it just in the engined mapping, does the 550 get more boost psi?
Old 08-16-2017, 03:17 PM

GL450
Looking to get the OE Tune also

Just wanted to let you know I posted some info on this over in the performance section if you want to check it out.

Long story short- If you've got a 450 and you want to see incredible power, get in touch with OE Tuning. You won't regret it!
Whats up Mapkos! Nice, i have been considering doing the OE tune also, since im California im just going to drive it there. Does there Dyno have AWD capability? As i understand it, to do the flash and mapping correctly on an AWD vehicle, both axles have to be on the Dyno.

Also your video is not loading, can you link me to the Youtube. I wanna check it out. Here are 2 GL450 OE tune videos i found online:
://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEAm-oXfQlM
Besides the power increase have you been able to notice any gains with MPG?

Thanks!

PS - Haters gonna HATE!
Old 08-18-2017, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
I had Jeremy tune my W211 E55 AMG a few times. No issues at all with it either. First was a tune only and gained 50whp. Second was on a dyno after Intake, header, exhaust, pulleys. results were amazing 496 whp and 530 ft lbs/torque. Tune doesn't remove all the MB safeguards that keep the motor from going kaboom. It just lets it breathe more and more throttle response. Also removes rev limiter.
Old 08-18-2017, 12:52 PM

GL450
Originally Posted by novae500
I had Jeremy tune my W211 E55 AMG a few times. No issues at all with it either. First was a tune only and gained 50whp. Second was on a dyno after Intake, header, exhaust, pulleys. results were amazing 496 whp and 530 ft lbs/torque. Tune doesn't remove all the MB safeguards that keep the motor from going kaboom. It just lets it breathe more and more throttle response. Also removes rev limiter.
You hit the nail on the head Nova! I def dont want the engine to go KABOOM, so its good to hear those safeguards are still in place.

By they way, did you notice any MPG increase after the tune?
Old 08-19-2017, 03:14 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2013 GL450
Can anyone explain the pros/cons with setup against renntech tune