GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

New 2014 GL450 Owner and New to Mercedes, Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
New 2014 GL450 Owner and New to Mercedes, Help

We are new to Mercedes and new 2014 GL450 owners. The car is great looking and rides beautifully. My wife is the main driver. She used to have a 2008 Lexus GX470. She's having a real trouble getting used to the GL Navi Voice Recognition and the instrumentation in general. She feels like the Lexus was so much more intuitive.

We have found a number of challenges and want to know if A) It's just us or B) we are doing something wrong. If anyone knows of any fixes or even workarounds that would be great.

Here are some issues:

Our parking sensors only give warnings sometimes and let us get way too close to an object. Is there a setting we need to adjust for this?

No one in the second row can stand the headrests. Our sons are over 5'10 and can't seem to get them in a comfortable spot. Can we figure out a way to remove them (we have easy entry system)?

Is there any kind of covering for the rear pano panel?

Why can't the button for seat memory be pressed and released. I have to hold this thing to get the seat fully in place.

What kind of product an you safely use to clean the MB Tex? We are already needing a little more than water.

When you use the Navi, how do you set it up to give you a few options for alternate routes for your trip? Is there a good tutorial out there for this thing?

Also, how do you easily search POIs?

Is there a optional Eucylptus wood trim kit for the cup holder area out there?

BTW- I'm already regretting black interior. We bought it because our sons play sports and we did not want stains. Everything shows up, even a speck. I know it won't stain, but it will also never look clean. Hahaha.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-04-2013, 07:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
08 E63 Arctic White/Black
Originally Posted by googapa
We are new to Mercedes and new 2014 GL450 owners. The car is great looking and rides beautifully. My wife is the main driver. She used to have a 2008 Lexus GX470. She's having a real trouble getting used to the GL Navi Voice Recognition and the instrumentation in general. She feels like the Lexus was so much more intuitive.

We have found a number of challenges and want to know if A) It's just us or B) we are doing something wrong. If anyone knows of any fixes or even workarounds that would be great.

Here are some issues:

Our parking sensors only give warnings sometimes and let us get way too close to an object. Is there a setting we need to adjust for this?

No one in the second row can stand the headrests. Our sons are over 5'10 and can't seem to get them in a comfortable spot. Can we figure out a way to remove them (we have easy entry system)?

Why can't the button for seat memory be pressed and released. I have to hold this thing to get the seat fully in place.

What kind of product an you safely use to clean the MB Tex? We are already needing a little more than water.

When you use the Navi, how do you set it up to give you a few options for alternate routes for your trip? Is there a good tutorial out there for this thing?

BTW- I'm already regretting black interior. We bought it because our sons play sports and we did not want stains. Everything shows up, even a speck. I know it won't stain, but it will also never look clean. Hahaha.

congrats on the new GL. i have been a long time lexus owner myself and transitioned over to MB several years ago. it is not easy using the MB electronics, and even more difficult when you are used to lexus' system with the touchscreen.

so unfortunately, most of the issues you have brought up are just that way because MB designed them that way.

for the headrests - it's been covered in great detail here so i would read a few threads on that. the latest news is that one member stated there is a TSB out for removing a pin or clip from the headrest that allows power easy entry headrests to tilt back at the lower portion to sit flush with the seat back (rather then protrude out a few inches)

for the pano roof - another area of frustration and quite a few threads. most members have resorted to a very dark tint back there or putting one of those "stick-on" baby shades from your local baby supply store. unfortunately MB got rid of the 3rd row sunshade on the new GL. (they had it on the first generation however.)

i had MB Tex in our last GL and rarely had to use more than just a very wet cloth with water, however there were some times i may have used a little bit of soapy water. it's a very durable material actually, but yes the black shows all sorts of dirt and shoe marks from the kids.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by googapa

Here are some issues:

This issue ( highlighted ) , from what I have been told, is a "safety" related one...... Power memory seats for many years had "press and release" programs. That was fine until the safety folks began thinking about pets, children, objects, etc. that MIGHT be in the way of a moving seat...therefore, MB being very safety oriented, initiated push and hold so that, in the event of an issue... the seat would immediately quit moving the moment your finger comes off the button. Thats why there is no "push the unlock button on your fob" and the seat automatically moves to YOUR position.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW X6M
Yep, the memory buttons are designed the same way in BMWs.