GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

2 dogs and 1 teenager -- can it work?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Volvo XC70
2 dogs and 1 teenager -- can it work?

Does anyone here use a GL to haul 2 large dogs (goldens) and a teenager? Are you able to put 2 crates in the back?

We're trying to find a large SUV that is very comfortable for the humans (long trips for sports activities -- lumbar support on front passenger is a must and seems hard to find) and can also transport our dogs. 2nd row AC and a good sound system are also a must.

I'm thinking a GL350 (for the diesel savings) would work, but would like to hear from anyone in a similar situation.

Am also open to other alternatives. My wife loves the X5, but I don't think it's big enough.

Eric
Old 10-18-2013, 09:49 AM

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
20 E350 & 17 GLS450
6 year and 2 1/2 year old in a full size britax car seats, one German Shorthair Pointer (55 lbs) in a full size crate in the back with all the bags the person related to me by marriage can fit. Great Sounds system over 800 watts and sounds awesome and great lumbar support and road trips are smooth and effortless. We also on the super long trips for a week or more have the full size rooftop carrier and bike rack (Thule)...again effortless. Good Luck.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
With the 3rd row seats down, it's still a very comfortable 4-5 passenger vehicle. We use it that way most of the time. Adults are comfortable in the 2nd row. Legroom is good, the reclining backs and headrest (with the manual seats) are comfortable. Be sure to read about the headrest problem with the easy entry seats.

Now for the pups. Here's a picture with two decent sized kennels. They aren't the biggest ones available, a step below that. The bulldogs are about 60 pounders, so that should give you some perspective. You can see there's still plenty of vertical room so taller kennels wouldn't be a problem. There is also some horizontal room available. My guess is the next size up kennel would still fit.

Good luck, there really isn't much comparison between a GL350 and any other vehicle when it comes to luxury, seating 7, fuel economy, safety. But be advised you will probably have to order and wait to get one and price isn't too negotiable.
Attached Thumbnails 2 dogs and 1 teenager -- can it work?-dogs2.jpg  

Last edited by JimBarnhart; 10-18-2013 at 09:58 AM. Reason: added photo
Old 10-18-2013, 10:32 AM

Volvo XC70
Thanks! One crate I know would fit, I was interested in whether two crates would fit.

I have a Thule carrier on the current car and my wife absolutely hates the look. But hopefully we wouldn't need that.

Eric

Originally Posted by terp97
6 year and 2 1/2 year old in a full size britax car seats, one German Shorthair Pointer (55 lbs) in a full size crate in the back with all the bags the person related to me by marriage can fit. Great Sounds system over 800 watts and sounds awesome and great lumbar support and road trips are smooth and effortless. We also on the super long trips for a week or more have the full size rooftop carrier and bike rack (Thule)...again effortless. Good Luck.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:34 AM

Volvo XC70
Thanks, Jim, I love that picture!

Do you lift the dogs in or out of the crates or have a ramp or do they just jump in or out? We've got some knee issues with our goldens, so getting in or out is a concern. I was even wondering if we could have the kennels face forward and have the dogs enter via the passenger door with the 2nd row seat flipped open.

Eric

Originally Posted by JimBarnhart
With the 3rd row seats down, it's still a very comfortable 4-5 passenger vehicle. We use it that way most of the time. Adults are comfortable in the 2nd row. Legroom is good, the reclining backs and headrest (with the manual seats) are comfortable. Be sure to read about the headrest problem with the easy entry seats.

Now for the pups. Here's a picture with two decent sized kennels. They aren't the biggest ones available, a step below that. The bulldogs are about 60 pounders, so that should give you some perspective. You can see there's still plenty of vertical room so taller kennels wouldn't be a problem. There is also some horizontal room available. My guess is the next size up kennel would still fit.

Good luck, there really isn't much comparison between a GL350 and any other vehicle when it comes to luxury, seating 7, fuel economy, safety. But be advised you will probably have to order and wait to get one and price isn't too negotiable.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
Originally Posted by volvoguy
Thanks, Jim, I love that picture!

Do you lift the dogs in or out of the crates or have a ramp or do they just jump in or out? We've got some knee issues with our goldens, so getting in or out is a concern. I was even wondering if we could have the kennels face forward and have the dogs enter via the passenger door with the 2nd row seat flipped open.

Eric
Well, bulldogs don't typically jump anything. Ours can get themselves up on a couch, but that's about it. I do have to be careful because Norman (the one on the left) love to go and he likes to put his paws up and wait to be lifted in. He doesn't seem to be concerned if he scratches the paint. Ethel (on the right) is more active, but isn't as excited to go for a ride, so we usually have to just lift her. I haven't bought the mat accessory that has the ability to cover the tailgate, but it's on my list to purchase.

I think it would work to turn them the other way, put the 2nd row backrests down and have them enter that way. Our bullies wouldn't be able to manipulate the ascent into the back, but I would guess the goldens are tall enough that it would work.