GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

shifting styles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 08:21 PM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
2004 E55 AMG 2014 GL63 AMG
shifting styles

What do you guys prefer shifting with the paddles or letting the computer do all the work? Also what suspension mode do drive around in most? Any feedback on the splitview or night assist? I have an estimated January delivery and can't wait any longer...... it's driving me nuts!
Old 10-21-2013, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
I rarely use the paddles, but I have a GL350 so by definition performance isn't a big part of my interest.

Night Assist is the biggest waste of money ever. I have it, it's worthless. Even if you thought it was safe, you can't drive by watching the screen - it's at a different magnification than live. And if you think you see something with your native eye and then look down at the screen it will be out of view of the camera.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,103 Likes on 808 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Their is a commonly under informed understanding of the "paddles".

1st - the major utlility of the paddles is to provide a smoother/faster method to gear down to passing gear with a 3 second hold of the left paddle. In that 3 second gear down - the tranny will shift in the 1st second down one gear - but in the following 1 1/2 seconds shift/jump directly down to the appropriate passing/power gear for that speed which in most general fashion at common hwy/street speed most often can be a additional 2 gear jump. As compared to "kick down" this paddle downshift/power-gear procedure is faster - smoother than common "kick down".

2nd - that same downshift/power-gear procedure also becomes very useful in upcoming situations where the smoother/more controlable downspeed/braking situation that can become smoother by adding engine braking power - often downhill highway exit rampls or going into anticipated serious curves

"Power exit" from either passing or braking situations where power-downshift has been used - either single click upshifts exiting, takes you up one gear at a time - or 3-second right paddle hold will take you to upshift to full auto mode

This has been characteristic of MB tranny systems - the bonus is with 7G and &G+ is that these paddle manuvers with this sophsticated single-clutch efficient transmission are much smoother/effortless - in many cases with new W166/X166 pasenger comfort is increased as well - as a matter fo fact you can have all sorts of fun as a dirver and your passengers blissfully don't even know/feel what is happeniing.

January wait for GL350's - yes - in the next few days both slect slots depending on dealer are still changeable for 450's and select 550's - again depending on specific dealer situations.. those end-Nov slots are closing like Tues/Weds for changes as factory locks down earlier for peak-peak season
Old 10-22-2013, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by smayshusband
What do you guys prefer shifting with the paddles or letting the computer do all the work? Also what suspension mode do drive around in most? Any feedback on the splitview or night assist? I have an estimated January delivery and can't wait any longer...... it's driving me nuts!
Around town and on the back roads i like the sport mode because ( at least with the on/off road package) in the sport mode the transmission shift points and throttle response are adjusted in addition to the suspension. The paddles are helpful for downshift brake assist on long hills AND for telling the tranny to hold in 2nd when I'm dealing with deep snow covered roads!
Old 10-23-2013, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Their is a commonly under informed understanding of the "paddles".
Thanks FAB, I learned something new today. I intend to play with in on my ride to work this morning
Old 10-30-2013, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GL450
Great information

Now, I hold that paddle to get into that super passing gear. Oh, this is sweet. I never did that before, but now I am even happier with my GL. Thanks for the information.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,103 Likes on 808 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Remember - you can use that "left-paddle-3-sec" for "downshift" braking as well - especially handy on downhill/shorter exit ramps, or into a downhill curve.

Keep the beat !