GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Diesel vs Gas $$$ TCO

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 03:25 PM

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
GL350 Bluetec and GLS580
That's a bulletin for 3 engines which include the 550 GL.

I don't know what you mean by show examples but something is happening if MB puts out a bulletin. I mean, why put out a bulletin if only 5 vehicles have a problem? I found that link with a quick search in this x166 forum and it was a complaint from a 550 owner. I'm just curious to know if this issue is as costly as the Bluetec timing chain issue.

Also, along with my x166 Bluetec I have a w164 Bluetec with 123k miles and based on the study I still have come out better than a gasser even though I've had my oil cooler($2k) replaced at the Dealer and my DEF tank replaced (by me) $1k. Dunno if it means anything but I had a gasser, w163 (430), for 10yrs too.

Originally Posted by BlownV8
Show some examples. That's a general bulletin that is good for any vehicle with a timing chain. Not saying they don't exist but I have been a GL owner for 10 years and have been on the form for longer than that but do not remember reading any post where this was happening on a GL450. All I read about are diesel engine issues. Not saying gassers don't have issues but the MB diesel in the GL is plagued with issues - expensive issues that negate any fuel savings.

Last edited by DC-BENZ; 09-28-2017 at 03:46 PM.