GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

HID Retro kit for 2013 GL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
Thanks, guys.

I drove the GL this weekend (I take the train during the week). At dusk (although I hardly call 3pm dusk) when the low beam light turns on either with the Auto or On light setting, it will flicker and then one of the bulb will go out with "Check Left Low Beam" error message. I didn't experience any problems with the lights driving at night. And there's not way to get rid of this message other than restarting the car.

This is the kit I purchased (albeit w/ 5000k bulbs):

http://www.aznoptics.com/index.php?m...products_id=67

It looks like I'll have to try using a different part.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:46 PM

GL450
Originally Posted by kdiao
Thanks, guys.

I drove the GL this weekend (I take the train during the week). At dusk (although I hardly call 3pm dusk) when the low beam light turns on either with the Auto or On light setting, it will flicker and then one of the bulb will go out with "Check Left Low Beam" error message. I didn't experience any problems with the lights driving at night. And there's not way to get rid of this message other than restarting the car.

This is the kit I purchased (albeit w/ 5000k bulbs):

http://www.aznoptics.com/index.php?m...products_id=67

It looks like I'll have to try using a different part.

So, I e-mailed Retrofit Source about any new updates on the ballast flickering issues and this was their response today:

"Thanks for your email! We have updated our ballasts since last year and haven't heard of any flickering issue however there would only be one way to really know 100%. You would just need to try them to see if the issue occurs or not. We have a Benz dealership here that orders our parts and we haven't heard of any issues from them."
Old 11-17-2015, 09:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 GL450
Originally Posted by Mstyle76
So, I e-mailed Retrofit Source about any new updates on the ballast flickering issues and this was their response today:

"Thanks for your email! We have updated our ballasts since last year and haven't heard of any flickering issue however there would only be one way to really know 100%. You would just need to try them to see if the issue occurs or not. We have a Benz dealership here that orders our parts and we haven't heard of any issues from them."

I got a replacement ballast from RS, the replacement was worse, it would still flicker in cloudy/rain/dusk scenarios and even gave the bulb out error.

As others have indicated, no flicker issue during night time.

I did not get the bulb out error with the old one so i am going to reinstall the old one. I am just gonna accept the flicker issue during dusk, not a big deal to me.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 GL450
I just finished installing HID lights on the passenger side and I see the same shadow.

What would cause this? Shouldn't there be no shadows and complete saturation of light?

Same shadow on both sides

Yeah, I have those shadows as well.
Let me know if you have a fix.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:15 PM

GL450
Mstyle76, I ordered the new kit with the most up to date ballast and still have this problem. It looks like I'm going to have to try something else.

Cchintx, have you experienced this problem with this kit?

An auto shop can install this with a harness and attach it directly to the battery. My concern is that it will void my warranty.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:32 AM

GL450
Mstyle76, I ordered the new kit with the most up to date ballast and still have this problem. It looks like I'm going to have to try something else.

Cchintx, have you experienced this problem with this kit?

An auto shop can install this with a harness and attach it directly to the battery. My concern is that it will void my warranty.

So what is your current setup for the lights? Did you do my Hylux (ebay) ones and the RS bulbs?
Old 11-21-2015, 12:34 PM

GL450
I'm currently using the Morimoto XB35. I debating if I should try the Hylux setup you used.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:26 PM

GL450
I also ordered a Morimoto xb35 kit for my Odyssey and initially had a similar shadowing issue. I was able to address this by repositioning the bulbs. It's now pure white with no shadows. The whole install was a walk in the park compared to my experience with the GL thus far.

This past week I swapped sides of both the ballast and igniter to see if I will continue to get flickering followed by the error messages for the same (left) side. I also repositioned the bulbs to see if I can eliminate the shadows.

The shadows did improve although it's still quite obvious. A far bigger concern is I'm still getting the aforementioned low beam left side error message so swapping the sides for the equipment didn't help. I guess it's time to go to the shop to get it professionally installed with a harness.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Any updates on an easy solution to add HID?

Also, the 2012 I have, has the LED strip lights in the bumper but they don't do the BRIGHT daytime running light mode that models with the lighting package have. How do you get them to go bright, is there a hack or jumper??
Old 03-15-2017, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
Originally Posted by BlownV8
Should work just like the 164GL. I did a write up on the hid kit conversion. Works great. I've had mine on the car for around 100,000 miles - no issues.
What was the outcome when you left it in "AUTO" any issues during dusk or in traffic with it flickering even on the "ON" mode? I know you leave them on the "ON" setting but I would want to use it like an "OEM" is.
Got it!! So far so good...no flickering at all...so this is what I did. I purchased the Hylux Ballast Only from eBay (above link) and used the TRS 5k bulbs and works perfectly...no flickering at all.

I will report back in a few days to give the "dusk" changeover report but I changed them at the dusk from daylight to darkness and out and no issues so far. Hopefully it works 100% as this will be great!
Sounds great! Glad it's working for you. The 5ks from TRS are awesome they look OEM even next to my A6 LEDs both light output (not exactly like the LEDs but close) and the color. I would recommend them but get the "higher" end model which is like $20 extra I believe
Originally Posted by AZN Optics
You're better off with a complete kit. I know if you mix the Morimoto bulbs with an off brand HID conversion kit, Morimoto won't honor the warranty.

Although more expensive than cheaper kits, Morimoto Elite XB kits really are worth it and will work without issue for your GL.

We're also authorized first line distributors for Morimoto so hit us up if you have any questions. We chose to distribute for them because of their reputation, quality, and reliability.
I ordered the Morimoto kit from Michael of AZN Optics. I should receive this tomorrow and I intend to install this Saturday morning. I'll report back on my progress/experience.

Thanks for sharing your experience, cchintx!
Originally Posted by Jason B
Any updates on an easy solution to add HID?

Also, the 2012 I have, has the LED strip lights in the bumper but they don't do the BRIGHT daytime running light mode that models with the lighting package have. How do you get them to go bright, is there a hack or jumper??
UPDATES?