GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Rating your dealer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 10:02 AM
Cz7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GL450, Cad Escalade ESV
Rating your dealer?

My dealership does a nice job, but at delivery yesterday the salesperson mentioned the questionnaire and how verrrry important it was and how a friend gave her all "9's" and thought that was good, but that it meant she had FAILED and how she wants to make sure she gets all "10's", etc. etc. Is it just me, or does that seem inappropriate to try to influence your rating? I understand her mentioning the questionaire and how she wants to do her best, but I prefer to answer it honestly. Otherwise what is the point? Just the fact that I felt pressured makes me want to dock a point.

There were some details where they dropped the ball (losing my owner's manual and disk for example, and not addressing the extended warranty that I asked about twice), so I don't feel it was a perfect "10" experience. I don't know when I will get the manual and to be honest, it is frustrating. I know you can find a version on the vehicle but I don't want to sit in there in my garage reading it.

Anyway, I just wondered how other people felt about their survey experience? (I do love the vehicle so far, by the way. I just need to figure it all out w/out my manual!)
Old 11-15-2013, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
I have found this to be more and more common at MB as well as other dealerships. They beg you for a perfect score. I also don't like it and would prefer if they just encouraged us to fill out the survey. If you are willing to have a performance discussion with the saleperson, you could indicate that you won't be giving him/her a '10' and here's the reason why. See how they react and maybe they can help improve their score.
Old 11-15-2013, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
My dealer gets a "10" on all counts because they have, for 3 purchases, done everything in a very professional yet comfortable and helpful manner. Sometimes I know a bit more that than the sales folks…..but never more than the service people!
Old 11-15-2013, 05:57 PM

2014 Mercedes GL450
Our salesman didn't mention the rating, but he may have been too new to know he could beg. We've bought quite a few cars over the past almost 40 years, and I'd rate our experience at the Mercedes-Benz dealer as perhaps a little above average with plenty of room for improvement.

As for the manual, there's are downloadable versions of the owner's manual and the COMAND manual here: http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalA...al/2014_GL.pdf
Old 11-15-2013, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2005 ML350, 2008 GL320, 2013 Gl350
Originally Posted by Cz7
My dealership does a nice job, but at delivery yesterday the salesperson mentioned the questionnaire and how verrrry important it was and how a friend gave her all "9's" and thought that was good, but that it meant she had FAILED and how she wants to make sure she gets all "10's", etc. etc. Is it just me, or does that seem inappropriate to try to influence your rating? I understand her mentioning the questionaire and how she wants to do her best, but I prefer to answer it honestly. Otherwise what is the point? Just the fact that I felt pressured makes me want to dock a point.

There were some details where they dropped the ball (losing my owner's manual and disk for example, and not addressing the extended warranty that I asked about twice), so I don't feel it was a perfect "10" experience. I don't know when I will get the manual and to be honest, it is frustrating. I know you can find a version on the vehicle but I don't want to sit in there in my garage reading it.

Anyway, I just wondered how other people felt about their survey experience? (I do love the vehicle so far, by the way. I just need to figure it all out w/out my manual!)
my sales reps asks me to give him the form to fill himself, as long as I got a good deal and I walk out happy I dont see any problems.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:01 PM
Cz7

Originally Posted by JaneK
Our salesman didn't mention the rating, but he may have been too new to know he could beg. We've bought quite a few cars over the past almost 40 years, and I'd rate our experience at the Mercedes-Benz dealer as perhaps a little above average with plenty of room for improvement.

As for the manual, there's are downloadable versions of the owner's manual and the COMAND manual here: http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalA...al/2014_GL.pdf
Thanks! I know there is one on the vehicle hardrive, too, but it's so much nicer to have a book to flip through. Hopefully they will track it down or order a new one.

And yes, you would think dealers would WANT to know where they have room for improvement instead of just guilting clients into giving fake "10's". I would highly recommend my dealer, but there are a few suggestions that could make them better.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
From the dealer/salesman side - there are three inherent characteristics of the questionnaire:

1) the email questionnaire is the only ongoing benchmark for customer satisfaction with the dealer sales experience

2) the lower the # of completed/returned questionnaires the higher percentage impact that each "non-acceptable" questionaire has. For example - if only 20 questionaires for the month are completed/returned - one non-acceptable returned questionaire can result is 5% impact.

3) the ONLY acceptable questionaire is one with PERFECT scores for ALL questions, that is how the questionaire is scaled.

4) in this questionaire system - there is no ability for dealer to react and remedy with the customer - once the score is unsatisfactory - then yes, the dealer can correct any perceived or real issue, but score is the score.

For example - couple buys new MB - salesman calls after delivery to followup - speaks to husband - husband does not mention to wife - wife completes email questionaire "has salesman contacted you after the sale" - wife answers no - that ONE unsatisfactory answer puts that questionaire below acceptable thresh hold.

What is the potential impact of the questionaire - "under performance" on sales CSI over a quarter can cost the dealership from $50K-$150K bottom line penalty for the quarter - hefty.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:58 PM

GL
This is more clear now but for whomever established this rating/ scale, it sounds too harsh and should be reconsidered. I believe each buyer is entitled to provide their feedback and opinion about the buying experience and shouldn't feel pressured. I have been asked by the sales person on previous purchases to give full score!
Old 11-15-2013, 09:49 PM
Cz7

Thanks for the good suggestions Jim Barnhart, and thanks to Fabbrisd for the insight into how it all works. I had no idea the stakes were that high for the surveys.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
"most" of the MB Owner Survey attached

It's a real conundrum - dealers need to squeeze sales advisers for "perfect surveys" and technically the SA's are supposed to say nothing.

No owner I know would assume or know the "perfect" is the only acceptable benchmark...

"Most" of the survey is attached... a couple of questions not shown are "secret"...

If you're not comfortable scoring all "10's" - then the best that you can do is not complete the survey - and talk to your SA about where you feel things might have fallen short...

Putting the sales process, and the finance/paperwork process aside... final delivery alone takes 90 minutes for a earnest SA to get you introduced to your new MB !
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Mercedes Survey.pdf (1.05 MB, 195 views)
Old 11-15-2013, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
It's a real conundrum - dealers need to squeeze sales advisers for "perfect surveys" and technically the SA's are supposed to say nothing.

No owner I know would assume or know the "perfect" is the only acceptable benchmark...

"Most" of the survey is attached... a couple of questions not shown are "secret"...

If you're not comfortable scoring all "10's" - then the best that you can do is not complete the survey - and talk to your SA about where you feel things might have fallen short...

Putting the sales process, and the finance/paperwork process aside... final delivery alone takes 90 minutes for a earnest SA to get you introduced to your new MB !
are you kidding me 90 mins??!@!?? I was given 15 mins tops. Although I knew more than the rep would ever know so maybe that played a part, even so I dont imagine he would have given more than 20-30 mins.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by cookstar
are you kidding me 90 mins??!@!?? I was given 15 mins tops. Although I knew more than the rep would ever know so maybe that played a part, even so I dont imagine he would have given more than 20-30 mins.
My SA would have given me half the day if I WANTED it ….but, I always know more than they do….kind of an obsession….I downloaded a digital copy of the manual and read it while I waited the 3 month wait!! Going in for the 20K service B next week………..they provide a copy of Wall St. Journal and all the donuts and coffee you want, If i get bored waiting, they will have a loaner for me…..but I'm retired so I'll be in no hurry. I will be greeted by the SA, the general sales manager…..usually the chief financial lady will pass though the waiting area and stop and chat a bit…..the head tech guy will come out and talk with prior to the service and then during the service if he sees anything unusual and then a final post service summary. Really a great customer oriented dealership…………best I have ever worked with across many lines of vehicles!
Old 11-16-2013, 08:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 CLS550 4Matic; 2014 GL350; 2015 GL63; 2016 GTS; 2021 G63
I am always very disappointed in the delivery process at our dealer. We picked up our second new Mercedes this year and both times, I found myself asking why am I sitting in the car with someone who knows little to nothing about the car just so he/she can tap the MB checklist on their iPad.

My wife was oriented to the car yesterday and the SA told her the shift paddles were for "decoration". He also didn't know how to start the DVD player or what the settings on the windshield wipers meant. These are the basics and before you start working at a MB dealer, you should be very familiar with this stuff. I know we are all enthusiasts and read these blogs often, but there's no excuse for not knowing EVERYTHING about a car when it is your job.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:06 AM

2010 CL550 loaded
Uninformed salesman

My salesman told me the iPhone will not charge when attached to the the car plug in. He also told me my car didn't has split screen when original MSRP. had it listed . Buying a used Cl550 and they had no clue about the options. Damn ,it their job to know. So lazy in life.
Old 11-16-2013, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by blittle
My SA would have given me half the day if I WANTED it ….but, I always know more than they do….kind of an obsession….I downloaded a digital copy of the manual and read it while I waited the 3 month wait!! Going in for the 20K service B next week………..they provide a copy of Wall St. Journal and all the donuts and coffee you want, If i get bored waiting, they will have a loaner for me…..but I'm retired so I'll be in no hurry. I will be greeted by the SA, the general sales manager…..usually the chief financial lady will pass though the waiting area and stop and chat a bit…..the head tech guy will come out and talk with prior to the service and then during the service if he sees anything unusual and then a final post service summary. Really a great customer oriented dealership…………best I have ever worked with across many lines of vehicles!
your dealer is different than 99.99% of other dealers.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:57 AM

2014 GL450, 2013 Mini Roadster Previous: LR4, Avalanche, Evoque, Q56, XC-90, H3
Maybe I'm off on this but I don't think the SA is making a ton of $, so I always put 10 and then if I have an issue I'll talk to them off to the side.

On the current deal, I actually recieved a survey call 3 days into the deal before it was done! My guess is it came from the dealer.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1

In all fairness, I'm always asked that if I can't give perfect score to talk to them first so they can correct anything that is less than "10."
Old 11-16-2013, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 Ram 2500, former 2013 GL350, 2007 GL450
I like my dealership and my current SA, have had some duds that didn't last and some good ones that have moved on. I probably usually give them a '10' and inform them if something went wrong.

Regarding the 90 minutes, I'm not sure it's worth my time to spend 90 minutes of my life to introduce to the SA of how the GL350 operates. Seriously, I know I know more about these vehicles than they do.

I always thought is I was ever a sales manager at a dealership I'd have Friday morning quizzes. I'd ask about some feature or option on one of our vehicles and ask questions about it. The person with the best score gets lunch on us, or maybe the worst score has to buy the donuts Saturday morning, something to encourage them to learn the vehicles more. There's plenty of down time in the sales business, spend time learning the vehicles.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
Originally Posted by JimBarnhart
I like my dealership and my current SA, have had some duds that didn't last and some good ones that have moved on. I probably usually give them a '10' and inform them if something went wrong.

Regarding the 90 minutes, I'm not sure it's worth my time to spend 90 minutes of my life to introduce to the SA of how the GL350 operates. Seriously, I know I know more about these vehicles than they do.

I always thought is I was ever a sales manager at a dealership I'd have Friday morning quizzes. I'd ask about some feature or option on one of our vehicles and ask questions about it. The person with the best score gets lunch on us, or maybe the worst score has to buy the donuts Saturday morning, something to encourage them to learn the vehicles more. There's plenty of down time in the sales business, spend time learning the vehicles.
Do you really think the SMs know any more about the cars?
Old 11-18-2013, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

your dealer is different than 99.99% of other dealers.

must be lucky I guess…….21 new cars in the past 45 yrs……. various domestic and foreign and never had a better dealer experience than Mercedes Benz of Lancaster, Pa.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:19 AM

2011 GL450 P2, Appearance Pkg, Leather. 2012 C250, P1, Sport, AMG Wheels, Panorama Sunroof.
Originally Posted by blittle
must be lucky I guess…….21 new cars in the past 45 yrs……. various domestic and foreign and never had a better dealer experience than Mercedes Benz of Lancaster, Pa.

+1.

I was driving from Miami to New Jersey for a wedding and one of my wheel sensors went bad so I had to make an unscheduled stop at Mercedes Benz of Lancaster. Mercedes Benz of Lancaster are, by far, the best Mercedes dealership that I have been to and the dealership was beautiful.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:20 AM

2014 GL450, 2013 Mini Roadster Previous: LR4, Avalanche, Evoque, Q56, XC-90, H3
It must be that whole Amish thing?!?
Old 11-19-2013, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by gdtaber
It must be that whole Amish thing?!?
Yep….just gotta put up with a whole lot of bearded guys and a bit of horse dung!
Old 11-19-2013, 06:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
MBs
my dealer gets 10+ for sales and service- they never say anything about the survey-
definitely one of the best i've dealt with..
and thats what a dealer must represent- honesty, truthfullness and the desire to go beyond the norm to satisfy a customer-
as an example when we recently got a new MB from them- got home late - wayyy after close time- realized one of our older MBs we had traded in had homelink garage opener programmed and of course forgot house keys inside the house and the garage obviously locked! yea - not funny when we got home and couldnt get in- I called the Manager on his cell phone- and yea- he went in- pulled out our old ride- drove to my place- opened the garage - thanked me for calling him and then made sure the homelink on the old ride was reset and cancelled..
who does that in this day and age!