GL Class (X166) 2013-2015 after facelift became GLS (X166)

Prepaid maintenance, Wheels and Tire protection plan on GL450

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 GL 450
Prepaid maintenance, Wheels and Tire protection plan on GL450

Hi All, I am new to this forum. Just bought a 2014 GL450 last night and was looking for some insights on prepaid maintenance and the wheel + tire protection plus plans if they are worth it really. I had to purchase the protection plan at purchase but may cancel it if its' not worthwhile.

Prepaid maintenance is $999 for 3 years/$699 for 2 years ( 4 years is $1899 i believe) and the tire protection is $990 for 5 years. The dealership was really pushing hard on tire protection. Appreciate any experiences and thoughts from forum members.

Thanks in advance

Tony
Old 12-22-2013, 12:02 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
GL350
I recall much discussion in this and other forums on these topics. You might want to do a search.
Old 12-22-2013, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 GL450 (traded for 2015 Escalade), 2012 Corvette, 2014 Ford Fusion, Previous: 2007 GL450, 2011
Originally Posted by Dog hauler
I recall much discussion in this and other forums on these topics. You might want to do a search.

Dog is correct…… As a point of thought: look at the two issues separately: prepaid maint. is exactly what it is … PREPAID ( they get your money ahead of time )….the savings is often minimal UNLESS the cost of maint. is increased by MB during the time of the contract. The second concept of "wheel and tire" protection is insurance……you pay…..you may never need! If you LIKE knowing that you are covered IF you need, buy it! The only one i have bought, and it is the only one I have used is the interior protection plan…..if you have leather, it CAN tear or damage fairly easily….mine did and the plan paid for itself with one event. Bottom line is that these programs are a definite money maker for the providers…..as it needs to be.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Well..

The 3yr/30K prepaid maintenance is a no-brainer at MSRP for either purchase or leased vehicles - for vehicles financed thru MBFS it's a zero interest add-on item if you ask - for leased vehicles prepaid maintenance is a capitalized item meaning your net cost is a steal.

Wheel and tire - original tires do not come with road hazard - so wheel and tire "should" deliver two things which you can check with dealer - of course wheel scrapes, which can be done on case-by-case basic $100-$125 a wheel at time of occurence - on sidewall flats, and no road hazard original tires, and anemic roadhazard coverage (really from tire manufacturers) best to have clear understanding from dealer-of-purchase on what plan/what coverage in this case under plan they offer - that determines value for you...

Keep the beat !